Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New 914 Owner
ogdougy
post May 10 2022, 01:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,536
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hello all!

Just making a quick introduction. Made my first 914 purchase just about two weeks ago now and now starting to dive into this car.

Its a 73 non-California car with the EB 1.7. 100k ish miles on it with a motor that is leaking like crazy (more on that later). Single 32/36 weber. Classic Auto Air AC unit. Fiberglass GT Flares, Empi Replica Fuchs, and a bunch of shit ripped out of the engine bay. Bout all i know on these
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-26536-1652211032.1.jpg)

Next to my AE86 Track car that is currently getting a cage welded in
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-26536-1652211033.2.jpg)

So now getting to the real stuff. I have worked on boxers before, i have an 400 HP ej22 on e85 in my Forester (that needs to get pulled, RIP transmission). But I have never worked on an air cooled one.

Right now, i have been doing some basic maintenance that i do when i get a car. Change all fluids, been changing all the hoses on the motor because they look like the original ones, added a catch can, etc....
But of course after changing the oil and pressure washing the bottom on the engine/trans. I notice this thing is pissing oil out the rear main. So i decided with the unknown state of the motor, im just going to do a rebuild.

Reading around its seems like the easiest thing is to buy a AApistons 19XX cc or 20XX cc kit. I dont have a horsepower goal in mind. I just want this rebuild and hopefully get close to the same mpgs i had with the 1.7 (30 mpgs on the highway driving between Phoenix and Tucson)

The end goal with this motor. I have an entire pertronix flamethrower vacuum dist with the correct coil and plugs. While the 32/36 works for now. I will replace them with 40 IDF webers. Then some new headers and exhaust. The horsepower I get is what I get. Not too big of a concern.

Q1: With my motor being a 1.7 i have to get the heads machined to fit the larger cylinders and some massaging of the combustion chambers to get the the compression down. Correct?

Q2: Cam choice. Do people run the original 1.7 cam or just get a "street/oem" grind from Web.

This was a long one but I look forward to what i can learn!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 10 2022, 01:59 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Welcome aboard

How is your new 914 currently running, with the exception of an oil leak or two? Could be a reasonably simple repair to get you along until your new engine is built. Will you be using your existing case? Good call with the Webers

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 10 2022, 02:28 PM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

If you are not using the stock FI, ditch the cam and get something more peppy. Make sure to get lifters from the same people that made the cam so they are matched in hardness.

Do something about the wheels. They look like aftermarket fakes, and they're too small for the fenders now.

--DD
+Quote Post
Costa05
post May 10 2022, 03:27 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,535

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Another Arizona 914 owner. Are you in Phoenix or Tucson? There are several of us here in Phoenix with 914 project builds going on right now.
+Quote Post
808 WRX
post May 10 2022, 04:06 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 24,349

Are you sure you don't want to swap in a subaru motor and transmission? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
ogdougy
post May 10 2022, 07:47 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(930cabman @ May 10 2022, 12:59 PM) *

Welcome aboard

How is your new 914 currently running, with the exception of an oil leak or two? Could be a reasonably simple repair to get you along until your new engine is built. Will you be using your existing case? Good call with the Webers

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

It does fall on its face around 4K RPM. I believe this is due to the FI cam with a carburetor and dont exactly trust the tuning on the carb. I will be dropping the motor/trans. I could just drop the trans and redo the rear main. But there are some areas i need to weld up inside the engine bay. Hell hole is fine but battery tray needs to be replaced.

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 10 2022, 01:28 PM) *

If you are not using the stock FI, ditch the cam and get something more peppy. Make sure to get lifters from the same people that made the cam so they are matched in hardness.

Do something about the wheels. They look like aftermarket fakes, and they're too small for the fenders now.

--DD

Probably get the most street cam i can get. But i will definitely get new lifters from Web as well. Thanks for that.
As for wheels, yeah its ugly, yeah they dont fit. But that is low low priority. The wheels work and roll. The engine will piss a quart of oil in no time.

QUOTE(Costa05 @ May 10 2022, 02:27 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Another Arizona 914 owner. Are you in Phoenix or Tucson? There are several of us here in Phoenix with 914 project builds going on right now.

I am down in Tucson.

QUOTE(808 WRX @ May 10 2022, 03:06 PM) *

Are you sure you don't want to swap in a subaru motor and transmission? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

You know why i dont care about power out of the Type 4? Because if i want power i have that ej22 closed deck motor.
+Quote Post
ogdougy
post May 14 2022, 08:15 PM
Post #7

Well during the tear down it seems like a bunch of decisions were made for me without my consent.

Every single exhaust stud/bolt was cross threaded. So now im not trusting a single ounce of work done by who ever worked on this before.

New motor, new heads, new a lot of things! Oh boy
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post May 14 2022, 08:32 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(ogdougy @ May 14 2022, 08:15 PM) *

Well during the tear down it seems like a bunch of decisions were made for me without my consent.

Every single exhaust stud/bolt was cross threaded. So now im not trusting a single ounce of work done by who ever worked on this before.

Welcome to the PO crap work club. You might get lucky, but you are more likely right. After a while it becomes a game to see what the next special PO feature looks like.

BTW in southern Arizona, you might think about auxiliary cooling.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 14 2022, 11:16 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 15 2022, 02:32 PM) *

Welcome to the PO crap work club. You might get lucky, but you are more likely right. After a while it becomes a game to see what the next special PO feature looks like.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) its a real issue and all sorts of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif) its contantly found as you own/work on the car I have been half way lucky but now consider buying a car that has been worked on by a less skilled individual is a PITA.
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post May 14 2022, 11:27 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ogdougy @ May 14 2022, 07:15 PM) *

New motor, new heads, new a lot of things! Oh boy

Are you certain they were cross threaded? The air cooled motors run hotter than water cooled motors, I think overtime the exhaust bolts can get really hard to remove?

Air cooled is much simpler to work on than the water cooled, the main thing I found though is you have to keep on top of the oil a bit more and they want to leak more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). Also want to have oil or cyl head temp gauges to prevent overheating.

Some deeper wheels will make that thing look sweet, like my profile pic!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 15 2022, 07:09 AM
Post #11

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Welcome to the club. I would just add, if you are really looking for 30MPG and to regularly drive your car, build a stock-ish 2056 and put fuel injection on it with a mild cam and a good exhaust and call it done. It will run great and forever. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
aharder
post May 15 2022, 09:35 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,524

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) These are great cars to play with !!
+Quote Post
ogdougy
post May 15 2022, 09:33 PM
Post #13

Well I at least found the culprit. Someone was as new as I was to these motors when they worked on it but decided not to read about anything.

Rear main looks okay.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-26536-1652672031.1.jpg)

Flywheel oring is AWOL

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-26536-1652672032.2.jpg)

As for the heads. I haven't looked completely in them. But one has already been helicoiled and that coil was NOT done right and is barely hanging on.

So more reading to do on what do actually build because the build budget is skyrocketing. Which is not that big of a deal. What has to be done has to be done.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post May 15 2022, 09:48 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

As for the heads. I haven't looked completely in them. But one has already been helicoiled and that coil was NOT done right and is barely hanging on.

So more reading to do on what do actually build because the build budget is skyrocketing. Which is not that big of a deal. What has to be done has to be done.

Hey dude, helicoils have a use, It will get you home. For a fix I suggest timeserts. Really nice looking car, Welcome.

http://www.timesert.com/html/mastsert.html
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 16 2022, 04:56 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 14 2022, 08:32 PM) *

BTW in southern Arizona, you might think about auxiliary cooling.

Or DAPO, hate to say it but over 50 years, the number of these guys is many. Looks like you are working through at least some of the previously completed "repairs"
+Quote Post
ogdougy
post May 18 2022, 09:44 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Shivers @ May 15 2022, 08:48 PM) *

Hey dude, helicoils have a use, It will get you home. For a fix I suggest timeserts. Really nice looking car, Welcome.

http://www.timesert.com/html/mastsert.html

You are 100% correct. They do have their use and when used properly, they work great. However im always weary when using them for exhaust stud repair due to the heat. I know people that have made them work in the exhaust but thats just my personal preference.

But installed properly is the key word. This one was not. You can also see the state of the threads on the other hole. Which is representative of all the other exhaust ports
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-26536-1652888652.1.jpg)

IIRC this one had a large hex head bolt with a stack of washers on it.

But im still just googling/reading around on how these motors are built. All the possible combinations there are to get the desired size and compression.
+Quote Post
ogdougy
post May 21 2022, 08:16 PM
Post #17

I got the motor out and have begun to take it apart. Finding some interesting things that, i think, the PO didnt know about.

So first off this is a EB motor. 90mm x 66mm engine
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-26536-1653185793.1.jpg)

But to my surprise it's got a 96mm piston. Not the best measuring but good enough for this
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-26536-1653185794.2.jpg)

They are not salvageable unfortunately. Some bad scoring on the skirts
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-26536-1653185794.3.jpg)

And the even more damage of the 1.7 heads
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-26536-1653185794.4.jpg)

Im waiting on a case splitting tool to finish the rest of the tear down. Who knows maybe there will be an aftermarket cam in the case!!

But with this discovery I was pretty happy with how this motor ran, even in its poor state.

Will probably getting a new set of 96mm pistons and cylinders. New 2.0 cylinder heads. Adjust it for about 8.5 compression. Then make the cam decision once I find out what I have. If i have to buy one I think ill get the Scat 272 cam.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post May 21 2022, 09:00 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I missed saying welcome.
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post May 22 2022, 01:58 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 5,610

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) As you can already see, You've come to the right place. Let us know how we can help.

Konrad
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 22 2022, 06:13 PM
Post #20

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) That's the worst install of a helicoil I've seen. Maybe the PO shot it in there with a Ramset gun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:49 AM