Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heat and BANG, How did that happen?!?!?!?!?!?!
ctc911ctc
post May 20 2022, 02:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

'74 914, all stock, near all original, 22k

As we all know getting the brake hose disconnected from the hard line can be a pistol on older cars,

Heat always works, while doing the front end of the 914 (shocks and bushings) I am replacing the hoses - of course\

I needed to heat and started to torch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowtorch.gif) this connector when BANG!

Turns out there was a very tight fit between the hose and connector, enough to hold pressure to an explosion point.

Who Knew!?! Fortunately, I was wearing goggles.

No, there were no blocks within the hose, this was not from what was IN the hose but between the hose and the connector.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Van B
post May 20 2022, 02:43 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

My rubber brake lines are self lubricating so I don’t imagine I’ll have this problem lol.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post May 21 2022, 02:35 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

Never ever heat any part of a shock absorber

The brake lines are sealed like the shock absorbers. When you heated them the air inside exapanded with the obvious result and broke at the weakest area.

Same reasoning for any ensclosed assembly using heat with a combustable gas....not a good idea.

I used a pair of side cutters for the flexible lines and then dealt with the connection to the hard lines after with penetrant oil.

Glad you weren't hurt.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post May 22 2022, 06:15 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(914_teener @ May 21 2022, 03:35 PM) *

Never ever heat any part of a shock absorber

The brake lines are sealed like the shock absorbers. When you heated them the air inside exapanded with the obvious result and broke at the weakest area.

Same reasoning for any ensclosed assembly using heat with a combustable gas....not a good idea.

I used a pair of side cutters for the flexible lines and then dealt with the connection to the hard lines after with penetrant oil.

Glad you weren't hurt.

Same here, cut the line right at the metal end then use a large socket after giving penetrating oil a chance to work.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post May 22 2022, 07:03 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

A line filled with clean brake fluid should not have done that, unless you heated it for a long time and the fluid boiled. Any chance there was water in there?

And if anything, if the line wasn't blocked the pressure should have bled back into your master.

Still probasbly not a good idea to heat that muc. Next time crack the bleeder so the pressure can escape.
+Quote Post
blabla914
post May 22 2022, 02:19 PM
Post #6

I like primer

Member No.: 1,740

you should probably also check the adjustment of the actuating rod on the master. there should be clearance. there is a spec in the book, don't recall what it is.

If the clearance isn't there then the master can be slightly depressed even when your foot is not on the brake pedal. this prevents pressure from bleeding off the system after every brake application as some of the heat of braking is transferrerred to the fluid. this can cause a big problem if not corrected before driving. As heat builds, the brakes will not release completely, which builds more heat. It's not good.

I have to agree with advice above. If the lines are trash I usually cut them before I go for the torch.
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post May 23 2022, 06:51 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 22,206

**********Perhaps I was NOT clear.*********

The Line (hard line and hose) was out of the car, on the bench....

There was NO Fluid in the hose nor in the Brake-Line. Both were clear end-to-end

The pressure was from the fluid that was in the fabric of the flexible brake hose which was trapped within the connector as in the picture. perhaps less than a drop or two of liquid.......if that.........

Thank you for all of the advice, but.........

The hose and the brake line were on a bench in a vice and I could not get them to release with a box wrench and penetrating oil,,,,so I then put a torch to it, and the hose popped!

I have never seen anything like it......so I thought i would share........just in case you have a similar situation.......

+Quote Post
914_teener
post May 23 2022, 08:31 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

Most brake fluids are flammable given enough heat.

But maybe you already knew that too.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post May 23 2022, 10:30 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 24,781

"This means it will easily burn compared to silicon-based fluids. If it is exposed to temperatures of 540-675 degrees Fahrenheit, it can even self-ignite. DOT 3 brake fluid is also flammable due to it being a glycol-based liquid."
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:10 AM