Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bringing it back:, Improved Original for 4742910780
Van B
post Feb 17 2023, 06:04 PM
Post #161

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

Lol! Because the challenge is what it's all about! I'll post some pics when I get it mocked up with clearance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Van B
post Feb 19 2023, 05:58 PM
Post #162

While I continue to waste money and time on this front sway bar idea, I thought I would make some progress in other areas.

Got my new fuel tank retrofitted and painted:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Van B
post Feb 19 2023, 06:02 PM
Post #163

Looking at the old tank, it faired very well for a 50yr old piece. It definitely spent some time sitting with a very low fuel level. And I think it’s interesting that the most aggressive corrosion is below the fuel line and not in the condensate region.

I’m thinking to borrow an idea from the marine (and aviation) world and add an anode to the new tank.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 19 2023, 07:21 PM
Post #164

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

You could do that …. But you’ll be long gone before anyone can appreciate it. It made it 50 years without one. I’ve seen Model T’s that still had the original tank! Don’t see why a properly cared for 914 tank won’t make it to 100 too!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Van B
post Feb 19 2023, 08:25 PM
Post #165

I know you’re right, but I can add it in for $20 and treat it as a 20yr experiment lol. $1/yr science sounds fun, right?
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 19 2023, 08:43 PM
Post #166

914 Guru

QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 19 2023, 09:25 PM) *

I know you’re right, but I can add it in for $20 and treat it as a 20yr experiment lol. $1/yr science sounds fun, right?

Nah - you need this - get ahold of OP for this post and I’m sure the two of you can quickly come to terms for about $20 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) now that’s the way you do a science experiment!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 20 2023, 02:06 AM
Post #167

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 19 2023, 06:02 PM) *

Looking at the old tank, it faired very well for a 50yr old piece. It definitely spent some time sitting with a very low fuel level. And I think it’s interesting that the most aggressive corrosion is below the fuel line and not in the condensate region.

I’m thinking to borrow an idea from the marine (and aviation) world and add an anode to the new tank.

fuel tank explains the over-all good state of preservation of your car.
further evidence of a good catch.
it very evidently spent a good period of time holed up in a garage someplace.
its a strange thing all these 1.8s that for whatever reason seemed to get put away,
and have recently resurfaced. who would have thought that 30 years ago! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

to encourage your sway bar experiment further.
in between prepping the sh$tbox 84 thunderbird rear trunk lid and back window area for repaint today (sanding sanding and more sanding, then masking masking masking) i helped mike do a caliper rebuild and replace with brake bleed on the workshop owner's old 80s merc station wagon. a totally tasteful, anonymous vehicle (gutless to boot - 4 cylinder). i couldn't help but notice the wacko sway bar, with drop link that is a psuedo strut etc. the sway bar goes through about mid ht somewhere in the double firewall behind the engine. thanks to you i find myself suddenly paying attention to sway bars and all the different ways the germans squeezed them in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

i conclude your ideas are nothing if not german!!!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Van B
post Feb 20 2023, 03:51 PM
Post #168

Commitments have been made today. But, this also means I will need a new fuel tank if I ever decide to run the car on anhydrous methanol… that magnesium anode won’t like it one bit.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Van B
post Feb 20 2023, 03:54 PM
Post #169

BTW @Superhawk996 … I couldn’t even find that little device on Google anywhere… something tells me it never caught on lol!

@wonkipop , I’ve ordered a sway bar taken off an RS America… might be the closest I get to ever owning one if it works out lol!
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 20 2023, 05:28 PM
Post #170

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 20 2023, 03:54 PM) *

BTW @Superhawk996 … I couldn’t even find that little device on Google anywhere… something tells me it never caught on lol!

@wonkipop , I’ve ordered a sway bar taken off an RS America… might be the closest I get to ever owning one if it works out lol!

964?
america specific model the RS America?
i don't know much about 964s.
other than they love to blow up their AFMs.
and they are quite heavy cars.
apparently there was going to be a 914/924 level model that the 4 wheel drive system and rear engine 4 cylinder was developed for during the 80s but it never happened.
but the 4 wheel drive system ended up in the 964 but beefed up. porsche were committed to going 4 wheel drive. an interesting bit of thinking back then.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Feb 20 2023, 05:41 PM
Post #171

Yeah, we didn’t get the carrera RS here so, they gave us the RS America. Lighter stripped down version with the M030 suspension setup. So, this will be a 22mm bar, but narrower at the hips than my 996 bar. The standard 964 bar is 20mm.

We’ll see how it goes next weekend.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 20 2023, 06:27 PM
Post #172

Advanced Member

given your fiddling around in the fuel tank region and you have the fuel pump up front already have you picked up that subtlety about the fuel pump having slightly higher flow rate in the 75s after they moved the fuel pumps to front of car.
its in the fuel injection section of the factory manual right up towards the end of the section. they list the fuel pump specs.

i'm thinking previous owner of your car moved fuel pump but left it as a standard 74 fuel pump? not sure what you have got up the front there.

makes sense that the 75s would have run a slightly more powerful pump to get the length of hose up to pressure faster.

i imagine you are going to do the tunnel fuel lines with all this work you are doing.
i wouldn't be leaving the old plastic lines in. although mine were in remarkable condition except for about the last 4 inches or so near where they exit out through the engine bay firewall. from there on they were plastic about to go snappo.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Feb 20 2023, 06:42 PM
Post #173

Affirm. Got some sweet tangerine racing 8mm lines and a two port Bosch. I’ve also modded a 996 fuel filter to use instead of the lawn mower filter the car would normally have.

Now I just have to figure out where to put it. No one seems to make the late model front cover + bracket, and I can’t find one used…
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 20 2023, 07:27 PM
Post #174

914 Guru

QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 20 2023, 04:54 PM) *

They never caught on because they don’t work. Snake oil. And I hate to say it but putting an anode on the tank isn’t going to work very well either. Not sure how to make the science story short. I guess the best I can say is that without an electrolyte between the cathode and the anode, Cathodic Protection doesn’t work. Gasoline doesn’t conduct electricity and won’t function as an electrolytic cell. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

You know . . . A stock bar fits mighty nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Van B
post Feb 20 2023, 08:12 PM
Post #175

No argument there. If it was, then a steel tank would never be an option. But electrons do move, water does get in the fuel, and now the atoms have a feed trough lol. It only needs to work a little bit.

And you act like front sway bars are all over the internet. Unless you are willing to buy seriously worn set up for $600 or a racing setup for $800, you may as well find another solution. Which suits me just fine for reasons previously discussed.

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 20 2023, 08:39 PM
Post #176

914 Guru

Duplicate
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 20 2023, 08:40 PM
Post #177

914 Guru

Don’t kid yourself on price. Used setups change hands regularly for $250-$350. One went recently with all new bushings included as part of the deal.

PMB has the full blown kit brand new at $725 with all new Dansk parts. What you really need is the Elephant Racing set up - I think that one is about $1500!

I fully get you’re in it for the challenge. Carry on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 21 2023, 04:08 AM
Post #178

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 20 2023, 08:40 PM) *

Don’t kid yourself on price. Used setups change hands regularly for $250-$350. One went recently with all new bushings included as part of the deal.

PMB has the full blown kit brand new at $725 with all new Dansk parts. What you really need is the Elephant Racing set up - I think that one is about $1500!

I fully get you’re in it for the challenge. Carry on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

yeah, you know he is going to do it @Superhawk996 .
and he will succeed.

i'm looking forward to the reports on improved handling.
momentary airborne characteristics.
controllability when the wheels hit the deck again etc.

you motorcycle guys! i've never had the guts to get on one and go fast.
but my business partner is one of you nutcases so i kind of get it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 21 2023, 04:23 AM
Post #179

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 20 2023, 06:42 PM) *

Affirm. Got some sweet tangerine racing 8mm lines and a two port Bosch. I’ve also modded a 996 fuel filter to use instead of the lawn mower filter the car would normally have.

Now I just have to figure out where to put it. No one seems to make the late model front cover + bracket, and I can’t find one used…

about 30 years ago a former boss of mine also had a 914 he bought in from california and converted to rhd. i still see that car as another guy in the 356 register has it.
ex policeman now retired. he likes it very much and drives it hard.
as i recall my old boss made a fuel pump cover out of an "orange cake baking tin".
sure enough when i saw it recently, there it was, still there.
these used to be commonly available in australian supermarkets for all the old ladies to use to bake orange cake loaves. he drilled a hole in the panel that blanks off the fuel tank from the trunk for the fuel lines to come through, fixed the fuel pump to the face of the panel on the trunk side and then screwed the orange cake baking tin over that.
easy access to fuel pump from trunk interior.

i copied him in my buildings to do VW inspired door handle receiver recesses so i could position doors hard into corners and let the door close flat agains the wall.

if you can find these in america you could adapt it as a fuel pump access cover?
in australia they were made by a company called "willow".

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Van B
post Mar 14 2023, 08:02 PM
Post #180

I’m about to be back on the underside front sway bar adventure, but I took a diversion from my fuel pump relocation diversion to fix the brittle cracked drain tubes on my airbox. Some roughed up copper fittings, a little reaming in the drain stubs, some epoxy, and presto! Deionizing drains lol!!!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 11:18 AM