Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V « < 11 12 13  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bringing it back:, Improved Original for 4742910780
Van B
post May 25 2024, 11:03 PM
Post #241

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

Oh yeah that on ramp was a real loss… damn. Is the off ramp still there or is it gone too?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post May 26 2024, 12:36 AM
Post #242

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Van B @ May 25 2024, 11:03 PM) *

Oh yeah that on ramp was a real loss… damn. Is the off ramp still there or is it gone too?

used to be a one way sweeper on ramp. on ramp in the sense of on ramp on to a major road which led straight on to bridge over river via a dedicated lane. so no need to stop.
and it was uphill all the way. used to come out from under the bridge on the road below which was a nice little dip for a thrill, straight into sweeper and keep the foot in it.
with a 1.8 you were in no danger of getting into it too hard half way around.

i've got no baffles in the tank post rhd conversion. you lose half the bottom of the tank to do the firewall pedal box. so always had to make sure i had more than half a tank of gas. the fuel guage would swing far left and she would cough and cut out if the tank was too low. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

all gone now. its like a two lane sweeper without constant radius. its sort of there but not as sweet. much narrower with a concrete divider wall so if you lost it half way around you are going to do some damage. which was not the case in years past.

i'm basically down to a couple of short little sections where i can give it some stick and then i have to back off. the once free land of australia is now chock for of contract camera car operators who are real smart alecs where they hide. the cops don't do static speed traps anymore. its all faceless bureaucracies. the cops can still ping you with their in car radars and do the old lights and siren thing but its getting to be a rarity.

i will miss their on the side of the road lectures about taking the lead out of the soles of my shoes. the few times i have been pulled over in the 914 it usually ends with them wanting to look all over the car. you know. what is it. nice car. etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

EDIT when i say two lane sweeper i mean two way. perfect corner for 914 fun ruined forever. at least i got three years or so out of it. specially during the lockdowns.
man it was fun then. no traffic.
+Quote Post
Van B
post May 26 2024, 12:44 AM
Post #243

Into December now, work slowed not because of the holidays, but because I had to deal with some more surprises i.e. rust lol…. Only this rust was from a villain of a dapo.

This was the rusted leading-edge corner on the drivers door that was caked full of bondo with -zero effort to deal with the rust. I had to cut it out and fabricate a patch panel:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Van B
post May 26 2024, 12:44 AM
Post #244

Then there was the passenger side that was basically the same situation as the right rear quarter. Someone definitely turned into a pole in a gas station or parking lot. The whole section looked like it was rolled out like dough and then done in with a slap dash repair:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Van B
post May 26 2024, 12:59 AM
Post #245

For the rest of December, I went to work on stepping up my air capabilities. Since I’m renting and not able to convince the property owner to give me 220v in the garage, I bought a second Flexzilla 20gal compressor and put them on a dedicated 120v 30amp circuit.

But the real game changer was making up these aftercoolers. Took a fair bit of research to find parts and figure out how to build them in a streamlined manner, but man the results are well worth the effort! And I decided to work with rivets for a change of pace vs welding. It was kinda fun once I figured out how to make holes line up right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9-Al-JUvOw?si=tuGLFTyBkCk52u-n

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmsJlc3wWds?si=TTCq5fVC9uV-uq4B

Numbers don’t lie! I can now bring ambient from ~60-70% humidity to a desert dry 13%!
Attached Image
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 11 12 13
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 07:21 AM