Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Price Check, Price Check
simonjb
post Nov 28 2022, 03:00 PM
Post #1

KiwiMan

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,505
Region Association: North East States

THIS IS NOT A SALES AD

I am starting to think about putting one of my 914's up for sale - specifically my 1975 Ivory 1.8 63,000 original mile car. While its a fantastic survivor, I now have two new stablemates (73 911S Targa and a 74 2002tii) that have arrived and I need the space. When ready I will list it here first. My question is what is a fair and reasonable[u] price to ask in todays market?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=simonjb
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 28 2022, 04:00 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

QUOTE(simonjb @ Nov 28 2022, 02:00 PM) *

THIS IS NOT A SALES AD

I am starting to think about putting one of my 914's up for sale - specifically my 1975 Ivory 1.8 63,000 original mile car. While its a fantastic survivor, I now have two new stablemates (73 911S Targa and a 74 2002tii) that have arrived and I need the space. When ready I will list it here first. My question is what is a fair and reasonable[u] price to ask in todays market?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=simonjb

if original paint and fuel injection and NO equipment, in todays market 19.500. but wait until the spring and get more!!!

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 30 2022, 04:52 AM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The mileage doesn't mean that much without extensive documentation. And even then, it takes a back seat to the three main factors in the price:

Condition
Condition
Condition.

What kind of shape is it in? Don't just answer "excellent, of course!" You have to take a good hard look and be super critical. Any hints of rust in the usual areas? Engine running nicely? Gearbox not grinding?

To get top dollar, the car has to be as close to perfect as humanly possible. The price generally drops a whole lot with the first few imperfections...

--DD
+Quote Post
simonjb
post Nov 30 2022, 07:02 AM
Post #4

KiwiMan

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 30 2022, 05:52 AM) *

The mileage doesn't mean that much without extensive documentation. And even then, it takes a back seat to the three main factors in the price:

Condition
Condition
Condition.

What kind of shape is it in? Don't just answer "excellent, of course!" You have to take a good hard look and be super critical. Any hints of rust in the usual areas? Engine running nicely? Gearbox not grinding?

To get top dollar, the car has to be as close to perfect as humanly possible. The price generally drops a whole lot with the first few imperfections...

--DD

Not sure if you connected to the old post and photos? They give a good overview of the condition. The car is very good and a real survivor. No meaningful rust - just a few small isolated spots the size of a quarter. Inside is very nice and no mods.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Dec 1 2022, 03:52 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

She looks like a nice example. Could be 30k, but whatever someone will pay. I cannot dis agree with George, but also seems smart to start on the higher side and negotiate from there.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Dec 1 2022, 08:16 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I’m not going to guess the price since prices are all over the map on BAT depending on condition and whether you get two desperate buyers trying to outbid the other.

I don’t think you are being honest with yourself about the rust. Lots of oil leakage and residue underneath. Put on BAT with a reserve you feel comfortable with. List it in the spring if you want maximum price.

No hell hole picture. I see several rust spots that will be red flag for potential buyers. Rust on driver side inner wheel house in engine compartment makes me wonder how much rust might be behind the engine side sound pad that is notorious for holding water and rust behind it.

I do think the car shows well on the exterior but without pictures of the usual hell hole and longs you’re going to have people assume that there is rust there given the rust elsewhere.
+Quote Post
simonjb
post Dec 2 2022, 06:05 PM
Post #7

KiwiMan

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 1 2022, 09:16 PM) *

I’m not going to guess the price since prices are all over the map on BAT depending on condition and whether you get two desperate buyers trying to outbid the other.

I don’t think you are being honest with yourself about the rust. Lots of oil leakage and residue underneath. Put on BAT with a reserve you feel comfortable with. List it in the spring if you want maximum price.

No hell hole picture. I see several rust spots that will be red flag for potential buyers. Rust on driver side inner wheel house in engine compartment makes me wonder how much rust might be behind the engine side sound pad that is notorious for holding water and rust behind it.

I do think the car shows well on the exterior but without pictures of the usual hell hole and longs you’re going to have people assume that there is rust there given the rust elsewhere.

Thanks for your comments. The "rust" area in the engine bay isn't rust, its dried glue.
I've restored a few of these and I do think the rust in this car is very modest. There is no accident damage, and no rust in the Hell hole other than some surface rust. I intend to pull the engine sound pad to confirm its all ok behind. No evidence inside the car of any rust. This car has likely never been cleaned underneath - hence some of the oil residue and dirt over almost 50 years. The current oil leaks are nominal and the late owner garaged the car - but what I was really trying to get at is the price range. I agree prices really are all over the map with no real reason. I will post full pictures when I put it up for sale in the spring to confirm the above, but I am not going to fully pull the longs to preserve the originality of the rivets. I will however look under and check them out. In any case, this is a real survivor one owner car with full records snd low miles that should do fine. I am not after every last dollar, so I'll price it at a reasonable price to sell.
+Quote Post
simonjb
post Dec 4 2022, 09:59 AM
Post #8

KiwiMan

Had a chance to climb up on the lift and try to take some photos of the hell hole etc..I will get better pics in the spring

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:34 PM