Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> /6 conversion, would you do it again?
Optimusglen
post Mar 4 2024, 08:31 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I don't regret that I did the 6 when I did, but I don't think I would do it again. Main consideration is the smiles-per-dollar. The 6 sounds great, and it's a fun amount of power when you're not stop light racing. Yeah, factory rebuild 2.2T (130hp) with Zenith 40TIN.

One of the big things that made me go with the 6 originally was to keep the pedigree, something that matters less and less to me these days.

I built the 6 myself, in my garage. The 6 build went smoothly, but some of the costs and timetables involved are not something that would be agreeable for me today. The case went to Ollies for 8 months and was around $3500 if I remember correctly. The heads took 2 times as long as expected, and $1k more than expected. Every week I was putting in additional orders to Pelican, with shipping wait times seemingly not effected by additional shipping cost spent.

And then, after it's all together, driving it is almost a constant worry. Sure I did trial by fire with 2 cross country trips, but someday I feel like it'll all go pear-shaped, with dollar signs shooting out the tailpipe and into the abyss.

I've had semi-serious thoughts about pulling the 6 and selling it now, now that it's fairly proven, and starting the Subaru journey. This year is when I start body work, so the engine will be out for that, I guess time will tell if it goes back in.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Mar 4 2024, 09:16 AM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 2 2024, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Feb 29 2024, 03:05 PM) *

It helps assemble the an fitting into hose fully and without the stab wounds associated with the duct tape method

I’ve built race cars both ways
Wouldn’t go back

Lol the mention of stab wounds gave me flashbacks of those many micro needle finger pricks - I'll have to add one of these to my toolbox!

I'm curious too about Glenn or anyone else with degrees of regret. Is it mainly around costs, which I can definitely relate to myself, or other factors?

For a novice (first timer) I am about $20.k + and 2+ years into this so far and the time and the oops and more $$. It's funny, I recently found Subi case/crank on the curbside. I don't know a thing about them, but seems interesting.Not sure if I can live long enough for all of this fun

Thanks again for all contributors
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Mar 4 2024, 09:22 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 15,674

Yea, I get it. All valid points. I guess most of it comes down to what matters to you.

It is alot about pedigree to me. The aircooled six is the heart of old school Porsche goodness IMHO. And a six close behind your ears is ultimate way to get close to that heart. Mine is an original six so I guess that makes a difference in the pedigree part.

I get the constant paranoia of blowing up into a big money event. I built my own motor also but after several years of running it and even a track weekend I am over the worry. My car is a driver, so less paranoia maybe. I guess I look at it as part of the experience.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 4 2024, 09:52 AM
Post #64

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

It's funny how our thinking evolves on things. Initially, back in 2010, since my car's original engine was long gone, I was going to do a GT bodied car. I switched to a stock-bodied car because I came to feel there were only so many original '71 914-6 cars left on the planet. But... I still had no original engine. So we slipped the fresh 3.2 in the car and it looked stock from the outside to all but the highly trained eye (oil cooler modification to front valance and deep-six Fuchs).

Now, after over 9K miles of smiles and driving, the 3.2 is on its way to Wisconsin and my car is getting ready for the 3.6. That 3.6 will remain a stock 3.6 with Ben's SS heat exchangers and a Dansk Sport 2-in, 1-out muffler. I hope we can run the stock air-box, but I really doubt that is going to fit. I already have the PMS K&N air filter kit just in case.

Of course we also are increasing the oil cooler size and adding 3 fans directly behind it to (hopefully) manage the oil temperature.

I never for a second thought about something other than a Porsche 6 motor, despite the obvious costs over other choices. I really love my car and enjoy driving it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 4 2024, 02:30 PM
Post #65

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Interesting reading comments from conversion owners, I consider myself lucky with my conversion as I had the motor purchased many years before doing my 73 2.0 ,original plan was to find a good 911 roller and fit that motor but the few I found were so rotten importing panels to repair wasn't within my plan as freight to my country was crazy ,came to the decision that I didn't want to do restoration on a rusty chassis besides.
Hooked up with a guy on NZ VW site and one thing and another lead to me purchasing the 914 as a complete roller that was restored ,the guy had done all the hard work but wanted out of the conversion as he needed the money to complete bodywork on an early 911 he was getting restored which no surprise was rather rusty .
I was lucky again as the 914 could be purchased as a package less engine ,I picked up genuine oil tank and most hoses ,new set of headers and used 911 muffler, NOS front rubber mount and bracket ,plus many other related parts for a very fair price .
Roller had 944T Brembo brake conversion , 911 handbrake setup ,factory style replica bulkhead mount welded in ,911 gauges fitted but not wired , bodywork holes cut for oil tank and more.
I payed a great price for the roller and engine but still an expensive exercise that mounts up with all the bits and bobs added,for that reason I wouldn't do it again ,however there is something special about the 911 motor in our cars and IMO waters down the cost situation.
Cheers.
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Mar 4 2024, 05:07 PM
Post #66

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

I would do it again and again! I sort of did :-). I'm on round two of my six conversion. First a 3.2 and now a 3.4. Worth every penny and headache!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post Mar 4 2024, 05:44 PM
Post #67

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Mike.

Is yours the pretty red car in the pic?

Hope you and the whole family are doing well
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Mar 5 2024, 10:33 AM
Post #68

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 25 2024, 05:44 AM) *

would you do it again?

As of today.............No.

I missed my 2.0 the day I gave it to my dad, and I am happy to drive it every time I visit.

That car was fun, reliable, and easy for Brant to work on.

But then again, I can give you a more informed answer when my 6 is completed,,,,,,,,soon.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Mar 5 2024, 02:39 PM
Post #69

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 4 2024, 03:07 PM) *

I would do it again and again! I sort of did :-). I'm on round two of my six conversion. First a 3.2 and now a 3.4. Worth every penny and headache!

Love your car, what's your oil-cooler setup again?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Mar 5 2024, 02:45 PM
Post #70

Advanced Member

QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Mar 5 2024, 11:33 AM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 25 2024, 05:44 AM) *

would you do it again?

As of today.............No.

I missed my 2.0 the day I gave it to my dad, and I am happy to drive it every time I visit.

That car was fun, reliable, and easy for Brant to work on.

But then again, I can give you a more informed answer when my 6 is completed,,,,,,,,soon.

Where are you at with your current 6 project?
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Mar 7 2024, 11:56 AM
Post #71

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 5 2024, 01:39 PM) *

Thank you! Thats an old pic. At the time I had the oil cooler under the rear trunk. It turned out to be not enough. Patrick Motorsoprts moved it up to the front for me. This is what I have now -

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Mar 7 2024, 12:50 PM
Post #72

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

What a great question.....would I do the six conversion again?
It was tough and expensive to find the quality or factory parts that I wanted in the build.
Could only imagine how much harder that part of the build would be.
I'd definitely change some things that I did as I was learning as I went.
Definitely start with a better base for the car.
Mine was in pretty poor condition and took tons of time and money to make it right.
It was fun.
But I think my next Porsche project will be back in the 911 longhood camp where I began my silly journey with these German sports cars.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Mar 7 2024, 12:54 PM
Post #73

Advanced Member

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 7 2024, 12:56 PM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 5 2024, 01:39 PM) *

Thank you! Thats an old pic. At the time I had the oil cooler under the rear trunk. It turned out to be not enough. Patrick Motorsoprts moved it up to the front for me. This is what I have now -

And this did the trick?

How high was you oil temps getting
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Mar 7 2024, 01:01 PM
Post #74

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 26 2024, 09:58 AM) *

no way, cannot find all of the parts easily, parts are way too expensive,

Coming from one of the largest 914 parts suppliers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Mar 8 2024, 01:28 PM
Post #75

Advanced Member

QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Mar 7 2024, 02:01 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 26 2024, 09:58 AM) *

no way, cannot find all of the parts easily, parts are way too expensive,

Coming from one of the largest 914 parts suppliers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

And from the good doctor himself.

It is a project management job with many bits required, but the overwhelming response is a solid YES.

Thanks again to all contributors
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 8 2024, 01:56 PM
Post #76

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

I would also add this. If you stay with 2.7 or less it really simplifies things. No front oil cooler, no special flywheel and pretty straightforward. You still can get mounts for $350, sheet metal, $450, flywheel, $300, headers, $600, muffler $400, modded cooler $150, modded shift linkage $150, DIY wiring harness free, oil tank set up and oil lines $1000,last thing to decide if your induction so let’s just say 3200 in parts without including induction to get rolling. Seems like a decent deal to be honest.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 8 2024, 02:04 PM
Post #77

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 8 2024, 01:56 PM) *

If you stay with 2.7 or less it really simplifies things. No front oil cooler,

You don't live in Texas. Here a 2.4 needs an external oil cooler to keep the oil temps down on a hot Texas day. Otherwise your oil temps end up over 250.

But I agree about the rest.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 8 2024, 02:10 PM
Post #78

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 8 2024, 02:56 PM) *

I would also add this. If you stay with 2.7 or less it really simplifies things. No front oil cooler, no special flywheel and pretty straightforward. You still can get mounts for $350, sheet metal, $450, flywheel, $300, headers, $600, muffler $400, modded cooler $150, modded shift linkage $150, DIY wiring harness free, oil tank set up and oil lines $1000,last thing to decide if your induction so let’s just say 3200 in parts without including induction to get rolling. Seems like a decent deal to be honest.

Yea, like I mentioned, if George isn’t into conversions, there are plenty of people who are. Call Ben/MB911 if you want one done. I wish I knew him when I had flares welded on my car.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 8 2024, 02:20 PM
Post #79

914 Guru

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 8 2024, 12:04 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 8 2024, 01:56 PM) *

If you stay with 2.7 or less it really simplifies things. No front oil cooler,

You don't live in Texas. Here a 2.4 needs an external oil cooler to keep the oil temps down on a hot Texas day. Otherwise your oil temps end up over 250.

But I agree about the rest.

Full disclaimer I did run a front cooler on my car and it’s a 2.4 and we get pretty hot summers here in the mid 80s most the summer and a few weeks of 90 plus and I don’t drive my car then mostly because it runs like crap with the availability of quality fuels
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 8 2024, 02:21 PM
Post #80

914 Guru

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 8 2024, 12:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 8 2024, 02:56 PM) *

Yea, like I mentioned, if George isn’t into conversions, there are plenty of people who are. Call Ben/MB911 if you want one done. I wish I knew him when I had flares welded on my car.

Happy to help. How I read into George’s statement is that in reflection they are only original once and I think he is speaking from that perspective
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 03:25 PM