Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hello My Name is Tony and I have DWD, caught a bad case in the electrical way
lapuwali
post Oct 17 2005, 11:10 AM
Post #21

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (bondo @ Oct 16 2005, 10:27 PM)
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Oct 16 2005, 09:45 PM)
I don't know of a single OEM manufacturer that's soldered their automotive wiring harnesses together in the last 40 years.

Every little crappy bullet style connector in my 1970 MGB is soldered onto the end of the wire. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to pull one out and had it break right where the solder ends instead of coming out. Lucas electrics: inventor of the 3 position headlight switch.. Dim, Flicker and Off. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Hm. I've pulled apart a half-dozen Lucas wiring harnesses and only found crimped connections. And this is on older (early 60s) BMC and "Stanard" (the marque, not the adjective) cars. I've only had one MG, though, and that was 20 years ago. Are these the "cup-style" bullets, where the wire goes into the cup? I've seen those in catalogs, but never actually on a car. I didn't think Lucas could really descend any lower than I've already seen. This is the company that used plastic inline fuse holders OEM because they added a couple of circuits beyond the four fuses they allowed for in the fusebox, on high-volume cars...

Yes, you need expensive crimp tools, and said tools are more expensive than a soldering iron. However, they won't burn you or the wire's insulation, and they don't need electric power to work. IMHO, everything needs to be perfect for soldering to work, too. The iron needs to be the right temp, the wire and whatever you're connecting to need to be clean, and you need to provide some total strain relief after the fact, as soldered connections are structurally weak as well as brittle. Soldering works fine for attaching components to a printed circuit board, but for free-standing wires and connectors, crimping is far better.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 11:44 AM