Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> shocks, springs and struts, seeking advice
gonflyn
post Mar 22 2006, 11:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,589

Hi, I’m still rather new to the club, and seeking advice. I recently picked up a 1970 914 that has been sitting for quite some time. I’m trying to bring it back to life. The rear end seems to be sagging, and the front leans to one side. My goal is a dependable street ride, with a slightly lowered look? I ran across this EBAY auction for struts and shocks and wanted to get an educated opinion on the parts? And also see if someone has a set of rear springs for sale that might help my project.

KYB GR-2 Shocks struts EBAY item….8050141071

These are brand new in the box a set of 4 ( 2 361004 front , 2 KG9003 Rear ) KYB ;GR-2 / gas-a-just struts shocks to fit 1969 to 1976 Porsche 914 all models. Tired of bouncing around? Do it right . Track or Street, Feel the difference with a smoother and way better handling ride. The best parts you will ever replace on your car. Works with stock or Lowering springs. Comes with the KYB limited lifetime warranty
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 23 2006, 01:33 AM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

while i'm sure they would work, the KYBs are the most stiff and harschest shocks/springs out there.
their nickname is "Kill Your Back", and for a good reason ...

i'd say spend a few more bucks and get some good shocks, like bilsteins or konis ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Mar 23 2006, 01:53 AM
Post #3

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I hate to parade the QA1 thing all the time, but they are cheap and tunable. Really cheap and tunable, Penske style. Good luck.
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Mar 23 2006, 01:54 AM
Post #4

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280

I oughta rephrase that. Penske size/style bodytube and valving.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 23 2006, 07:51 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 23 2006, 12:53 AM)
I hate to parade the QA1 thing all the time, but they are cheap and tunable. Really cheap and tunable, Penske style. Good luck.

Yep, i agree with Andy, anything except for the KYB's....

alpha, got part numbers for those shocks/strut inserts that'll bolt right on and have the correct valving for a street 914???

+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Mar 23 2006, 09:08 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 23 2006, 02:51 PM)
alpha, got part numbers for those shocks/strut inserts that'll bolt right on and have the correct valving for a street 914???

yeah, post some info!
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Mar 23 2006, 09:24 AM
Post #7

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

I looked at QA-1 severalmonths ago. I emailed the company. thier reply was you tell us what you want and we can configure to fit your needs.
Don't think they were alll THAT cheap though.
However I was looking at double adjustable threaded aluminum bodied unit for coil overs.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Mar 23 2006, 10:09 AM
Post #8

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110

The rear end seems to be sagging, and the front leans to one side. My goal is a dependable street ride, with a slightly lowered look?

Rear End = New Springs. 140lbers will lower it a tad (probably raise it a tad) and not be too objectionable with the front end.

Front Lean = Broken torsion bar. Ask around here. Maybe someone would like to ingratiate a newbie with a stock replacement or replacement set. What side is it? If your goals is a nice street ride then KEEP THEM STOCK.

You may want to look into a factory front sway bar, especially if you go with 140's in the rear.

Lowered Look = Dial it down. Turn the wrench

Shocks = Save a few extra Ben's and get Koni's and be done with it. Those nice little dials on top make a world of difference if you decide to take it to a local autosross... and why wouldn't you? It's as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Mar 23 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #9

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110

Oooooooooooooooooooooooh (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 23 2006, 10:25 AM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 23 2006, 08:24 AM)
I looked at QA-1 severalmonths ago. I emailed the company. thier reply was you tell us what you want and we can configure to fit your needs.
Don't think they were alll THAT cheap though.
However I was looking at double adjustable threaded aluminum bodied unit for coil overs.

I've looked into them as well..

alpha,

you have to look at what the people are asking and make the call on whether or not "your" recommendations fits "thier" needs...the guy is looking for a simple bolt-on replacment shock...no need for something fancy and rebuildable..Koni's or Biltstiens will last 10 plus years or longer.....why recommend a "race" part for a street application??

also, most people want an item that is easy to order and install just like the stock part....75% of the owners here don't want to or know how to order a custom shock/strut, not do they need to...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 06:37 AM