Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How many of you are cyclists?, I sometimes see cylcing references.
turboman808
post Jul 19 2006, 02:14 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

Looked to me like Landis simply bonked. I can't beleive that someone in his position would make such a mistake. They haven't shown an interview with him but I am pretty sure he just ran out of food. Had his team been there with some power gels or something things might have been different. But man he blew it big time today!

Carlos Sastrie looked really good though.

Seems to me there is simply no really strong guys this year. Just a matter of who will screw up the least and they will win.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
toon1
post Jul 19 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 5,022

QUOTE(wbergtho @ Jul 19 2006, 01:09 PM) *

Lance was an inspiration to millions of people including myself. You're right, he would have covered himself despite having no team help. It really does prove how superhuman he was (IS).

i heard he road up alp duez yesterday before the race came through, he could probably still beat half of those guy's even in retirement
+Quote Post
machina
post Jul 19 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #63

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

i have had my Klein with full campy record since 1986.

took a long break from cycling but now have been reborn with my Surly. Don't have to worry about cars and buses anymore, just ride the beach from as far south as key biscayne to as far north as boca raton. Normally I ride about 5 times a week now.

The bike is a full rigid but the huge volume of the tires act as the suspension. They are 3.7" x 29.1" and have about 4 times the volume of a 2.7" DH tire. Run about 3-5 psi and the bike just floats over even the deepest sand. There is nowhere I can't go on this thing. The deep sand is like riding about a 4% grade in terms of effort, so the granny gear is used alot.

The bike gets alot of attention. Guess I'm quite a site out there trudging over sand most people can't even walk on very well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Jul 19 2006, 02:53 PM
Post #64

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 19 2006, 10:58 AM) *

QUOTE(wbergtho @ Jul 19 2006, 10:22 AM) *

Can't believe I just saw Landis fall apart like he did! He lost his Yellow Jersey for good I'm afraid...wow...what a collapse!

Dude, that's not cool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) some of us avoid all press to watch OLN when we get home.

Ferg

it's still worth watching ferg. pretty exciting stage. in fact, i left before it ended, but after i saw floyd lose it, so i'll catch the repeat finish tonite.
+Quote Post
Midtowner
post Jul 19 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #65

Ooooo!

Member No.: 3,316

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jul 19 2006, 01:14 PM) *

Looked to me like Landis simply bonked. I can't beleive that someone in his position would make such a mistake. They haven't shown an interview with him but I am pretty sure he just ran out of food. Had his team been there with some power gels or something things might have been different. But man he blew it big time today!

Seems to me there is simply no really strong guys this year. Just a matter of who will screw up the least and they will win.

I was thinking the same thing. Where were the Phonak domestiques or the team car bringing Floyd food and water? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
toon1
post Jul 19 2006, 03:16 PM
Post #66

QUOTE(Midtowner @ Jul 19 2006, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jul 19 2006, 01:14 PM) *

I was thinking the same thing. Where were the Phonak domestiques or the team car bringing Floyd food and water? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

depending on where Floyd was at the time he cracked, they may not have been able to get him food and water. At that point food and water may not have helped, sometimes.........when yer done, yer done!
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jul 19 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #67

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

I thought he bonked too. It happened with 15km to go on the last climb. He lost 8 minutes in 15km. No amount of food would have saved him at that point.

Armstrong only bonked once in 7 years of the Tour but fortunately he only lost 2 minutes on the stage.
+Quote Post
toon1
post Jul 19 2006, 03:31 PM
Post #68

QUOTE(anthony @ Jul 19 2006, 02:24 PM) *

I thought he bonked too. It happened with 15km to go on the last climb. He lost 8 minutes in 15km. No amount of food would have saved him at that point.

Armstrong only bonked once in 7 years of the Tour but fortunately he only lost 2 minutes on the stage.

he learned alot from that stage.......never pass up a feed zone again!
+Quote Post
dion9146
post Jul 19 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 2,071
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Been cycling since 1986, raced for a couple of years locally, dabbled in mountain bikes for a year or two, but mostly use it for fitness nowadays.

I've got a lightweight, fast homebuilt road bike and an older GT mountain bike. I was shopping for a road bike about three years ago and was ready to plunk down the required number of pesos for a Litespeed or LeMond or?, and my Brother-in-Law and I got into a debate about what makes a good bike. He also rides a lot and has a nice new Klein Q-Pro Carbon. Well, I bet him I could build a bike almost as good as his for a fraction of the cost.

6 months later and lots of daily searching on evilbay, I assembled a 19 pound, dura-ace/ultegra groupo road bike for about $385. The frame is steel, the Ultegra brakeset was used (barely), but everything else was new. The frameset was a factory second custom made frame that never even got paint.

So now I ride a generic road bike, not as flashy as everyone else's name brand, but in my opinon, just as good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I kind of noticed a number of other riders on this forum as well....

Dion
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Jul 19 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #70

Actual member 7"

Member No.: 3,165
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Markeydoo @ Jul 19 2006, 12:51 PM) *

Marv
Good to hear from you how's things going. I like the road bike. All carbon with Dura Ace?
Looks good. How is the car comming along?
I just got a Kuota a few months back, love the carbon...
Mark

Thanks on the Carbon props, real excited about them, also doing an Alum & Carbon version with Easton Carbon stays and Easton Carbon fork, there are pics of it on my 3.6 build thread.

The teener build, I haven't turned a wrench on it since April, been too busy at work. I did however get my new Ca. lic plate: 70 914GT, I can't believe no one thought of that one b 4 I did.
+Quote Post
rickyhgarcia
post Jul 19 2006, 05:05 PM
Post #71

UPS truck is here...

Member No.: 2,198

1985 TREK Aluminum 2500 with Campy Record
+Quote Post
RogerYellow914
post Jul 19 2006, 05:45 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 5,230

Wow! I can't believe what I started with a simple question.

I used to race, but three kids have put a damper on that. I'm still a member of a local team, but I'm more of a mechanic/coach/domestique. I've started riding to work again once or twice a week to stay in a shape other than "round". I'm doing a couple triathlons per year as motivation to train.

It's so cool that there are so many of you with old school bikes. I haven't seen a Vitus in years. My dog's name is Bianchi. I didn't give up toe straps until Sean Kelly did. BTW, I tricked my wife into naming our first born Sean Kelly after she said, "No cycling names!".

I'm on the planning committee for the Redlands Classic Bike race. Big thrill this year was getting to present medals/jerseys to and kiss the ladies on the podium for the TT.

-Roger
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jul 19 2006, 06:05 PM
Post #73

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Cycling is my passion (besides teener & P cars)
Cycling is also my business am an owner of this company.
These two bikes are both prototypes.

Marv! Very cool, my Tracer mtb has been serving me well for a number of years now, and I also owned an M2 for a short while before I decided I couldn't afford the sport anymore. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) You guys are making killer rides.

My current bikes are:

Talisman custom built (road bike)
Intense Tracer (full suspension mtb)
Schwinn HomeGrown (hard tail mtb) back when Schwinn built good products- actually I think Yeti build this one for them

Surly single speed cross bike with titanium front fork

+Quote Post
Allan
post Jul 19 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #74

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304

I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know what reactions you have had.

I biked extensively when I lived in Turkey. It was my only transportation. Had a $99.00 Huffy 21 speed.

Unfortunately, the closest I come to a bike now days is teaching my daughter to ride one or trying not to run over them on twisty roads...
+Quote Post
RickS
post Jul 19 2006, 06:59 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 5,880

Currently watching this morning's Tour with 37 miles to go, and seeing Floyd starting to slip back to the end of chase 2 - but now I know what happened! Drat. How disappointing for Landis.

My Bikes:

Fondriest Racing
Bianchi Trofeo - Campione de Mundo
Trek 6000, hard tail mtn
Rodriguez racing tandem (for trips with the wife).

Most miles ridden in one year: 5000.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 19 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #76

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

OK, all you cyclists, would you like a 914Club cycling jersey?

I've been looking at these and we could easily design a cool jersey.
+Quote Post
toon1
post Jul 19 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #77

QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 19 2006, 06:01 PM) *

HELL YES!!
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Jul 19 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #78

Actual member 7"

Member No.: 3,165

QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 19 2006, 05:05 PM) *

Cycling is my passion (besides teener & P cars)
Cycling is also my business am an owner of this company.
These two bikes are both prototypes.

Marv! Very cool, my Tracer mtb has been serving me well for a number of years now, and I also owned an M2 for a short while before I decided I couldn't afford the sport anymore. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) You guys are making killer rides.

My current bikes are:

Talisman custom built (road bike)
Intense Tracer (full suspension mtb)
Schwinn HomeGrown (hard tail mtb) back when Schwinn built good products- actually I think Yeti build this one for them

Surly single speed cross bike with titanium front fork

Look close at the MTB proto you'll notice its a SS also! I luv 2 SS.
+Quote Post
Joseph Mills
post Jul 20 2006, 09:14 AM
Post #79

on a Sonoma diet now...

Member No.: 39

QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 19 2006, 08:01 PM) *

Sean,

A 914club jersey would be great! Maybe you could start another thread to fully judge interest among others.

And by the way, thanks for posting about the Sonoma diet. I have totally changed my eating habits.

Below is a pic of my rig for a ride I do with my wife every other morning. The trailer adds 45lbs to pull and keeps me in my "zone" while riding at her tempo (which is getting faster).

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Jul 20 2006, 09:38 AM
Post #80

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Since you all are cyclists here, what the hell got into Floyd today, he was on a flyer! This is one of the most interesting tours in years!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 08:55 AM