Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What oil temp Temperature gauge do I trust, Just installed the new Pressure & CHT guages
marks914
post Nov 15 2008, 03:52 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,912
Region Association: None

You should replace the original with a new module/sender, you can get them here:
http://www.newvintageusa.com/bigmarkdesign
(IMG:http://inlinethumb27.webshots.com/44378/2117910870057582025S425x425Q85.jpg)

Mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jc914
post Nov 15 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 9,548
Region Association: South East States

thanks marks914 I love the website first time I have seen it. Great products.
+Quote Post
marks914
post Nov 15 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 2,912

Oops, I had a typo in the web address:
I fixed it
http://www.newvintageusa.com/bigmarkdesign
+Quote Post
Gint
post Nov 15 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #24

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 14 2008, 08:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 14 2008, 07:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 14 2008, 07:46 PM) *

I'm not trying to be a downer, but I speak from some experiance, as I've had a few 914's...

220 as a high point in your climate and highway driving is very optomistic without a second cooler, and impossible in the summer.

I'm hoping you find blockage (check your warm up flaps too) but the temps you are seeing are exactly what I have seen with all my 2.0's before a aux cooler.

Ferg

Bah! Hot-schmot!

My /4 has no temp gauge of any kind. I borrowed Ferg's Mainley dipstick thermo once. Saw 230-240. "That's a little high." Pulled that sucker out and gave it back to Ferg. Twisted the key and dumped the clutch and throttle and never looked back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

That was a year or so ago (maybe more?). When if it breaks I'll fix it.

Drive it like you stole it!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) spend a week and drive up I70 and get back to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Your results may vary. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Ferg

BTDT Went down to AR last year and back. No sweat.
+Quote Post
jc914
post Nov 15 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #25

I found great information on this post and it has picture of all the temp gauges with numbers so you can correlate with your gauge that has no numbers ( on my post above my observations are the same as what is on the diagram) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...20oil&st=20

This was my personal observation with the dip stick.
For those of you that have a temp gauge with the big red zone this is what I used on the stock gauge to correlate to the dip stick gauge. When the top of the needle passed the top Tip left of the T (on the temp word) i had 220 from the dip stick. When the needle got to almost the tip of the end of the T i had 250 on the dip stick.

According to this diagram my temp gauge is working correctly, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) STILL 250 Is to HOT
(IMG:http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/JCD404/oilgaugepic.jpg)
+Quote Post
Jaybird
post Nov 15 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 9,051

Ferg: I presume the oil temp gauge you refer to is what is on my (your old) 914? What temp is "ok"; ie; do I check it running? Or as soon as I shut it off? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) The interior gauge is not working at all. Thanks, Jay
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Nov 15 2008, 09:30 PM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

QUOTE(Jaybird @ Nov 15 2008, 08:04 PM) *

Ferg: I presume the oil temp gauge you refer to is what is on my (your old) 914? What temp is "ok"; ie; do I check it running? Or as soon as I shut it off? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) The interior gauge is not working at all. Thanks, Jay

Jay, no worries, I installed the cooler on that car right off the bat when I bought it. Never had a problem after.

That guage was working before it left me? What is it doing, if it's pegging when turned on, you have a ground issue.

Ferg
+Quote Post
Gint
post Nov 15 2008, 09:37 PM
Post #28

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Sorry about the thread hijack BTW! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif) You're getting/posting some good info here.
+Quote Post
jc914
post Nov 15 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #29

Gint thread hijack NO way more info the better. Look what they are selling on ebay. A 914 BILLET OIL SUMP PLATE
they claim that it " The extra surface area that is gained with our unique fin design, works like a heat sink. That helps to keep your engine oil cooler"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-912...sQ5fAccessories

any one thinks this might work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon14.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
jc914
post Nov 16 2008, 12:34 PM
Post #30

I just did my oil change and cleaned the oil sump screen, just look at the old oil and the new oil the picture says it all . I also cleaned the oil cooler with brake cleaner and the surounding areas that had old oil residue. I did notice that one of my heat exchanger the driver side had a gap on the connection and was releasing hot air in an upward direction i fixed that. The PO disconnected the thermostat wire. So if i am correct when it fail it is in the open setting. today in MIAMI is a cool 70 degrees later i will run the car again and see if the temp has dropped.

(IMG:http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/JCD404/IMG_2936.jpg)
+Quote Post
jc914
post Nov 16 2008, 03:12 PM
Post #31

OK I just got back from an 1 1/2 run in the car in traffic and highway drove her hard in and out durning my drive the temp out side was 68-70. At the end the car still marked a very steady 250 degrees. I guess my car just runs at that temp. On my original post I ran the car with 80 degrees outside temp and the oil temp was also steady at 250. In all at least I know that at 80 or 68-70 degrees outside temp my car runs at a steady 250 degrees. So If i am correct my car is cooling b/c at 80outside temp the oil is the same as 68 degrees outside temp (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif). The only thing else that i want to do before i consider extra oil cooler is giving a tune up (wires, spark plugs, rotor distributer cap, and valve adjustments)
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Nov 16 2008, 08:05 PM
Post #32

914 Guru

Flaps are supposed to fail in the "safe" mode, but it's always best to verify... grab the tab where the wire connects and move them by hand and make sure they are not binding or stuck.

Do you have emissions in FL? If so did you pass easy and what were your readouts.

Ferg
+Quote Post
southernmost914
post Nov 16 2008, 08:36 PM
Post #33

KEY WEST/HAVANA Tunnel Authority

Member No.: 8,234

No emissions in FL. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Timeing and valve adjustment has allot to do with temperatures. In this climate 220-250f oil temp seems to be normal to high. Get it tuned and see what you get. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Steve
+Quote Post
jc914
post Nov 16 2008, 09:28 PM
Post #34

thanks Steve i plan to have her tuned hopefully next month. I just got back from a long drive to south beach i keep checking the temp it got it at 240 but the outside temp went down to 60.

Freg I tried looking for the tab but i did not see it I will try again this week. I did see the wheel the cable is to go through will the tab be hidden above that
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Nov 17 2008, 10:25 AM
Post #35

914 Guru

Here you go...

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Thermostats.html

Ferg
+Quote Post
jc914
post Nov 17 2008, 11:48 AM
Post #36

Thank ferg I checked they are fully open. I guess Steve is right for this climate that I am in. Steve what temps to you get on your oil and or CHT Gauge i would like the information.

Ferg. If i was to get an oil cooler can I use any aftermarket brand or does some one have a kit for sale. Thanks
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Nov 17 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #37

914 Guru

Nobody really has a kit...

Depends on where you want to put it as well. Best spot is up front no doubt, but I've had "OK" success under the rear trunk above the pass side drive shaft. (was done to keep front end and overall of car "stock") it had about a 20 or so degree reduction, at max.

ut now that I have a proper front cooler on my 911 it works so well, I will go up front on the next 914 I own.

I pieced mine together with AN fittings and a mocal cooler from here http://www.batinc.net/mocal.htm They have everything, including the sandwich plate type thermostat.

+Quote Post
southernmost914
post Nov 17 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(jc914 @ Nov 17 2008, 12:48 PM) *

Thank ferg I checked they are fully open. I guess Steve is right for this climate that I am in. Steve what temps to you get on your oil and or CHT Gauge i would like the information.

Ferg. If i was to get an oil cooler can I use any aftermarket brand or does some one have a kit for sale. Thanks

I would say 180-220F oil temp since I went to a mallory dizzy and a correct tune. CHT I have seen 375F in fifth 65mph with a 30knot headwind and A/C on. That was my ultimate test. Normaly in the summer 320-350 CHT. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Steve
+Quote Post
jc914
post Nov 17 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #39

thanks for the replies Ferg and Steve. I hope by Dec/Jan i will have my heat issue taken care off. Once again thanks for all the help. Got to save some money for the Dakota digital, and the full tune up.

I know this might be stupid but whats a mallory dizzy. I am new to all this ( the mechanical side )
+Quote Post
southernmost914
post Nov 17 2008, 07:27 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(jc914 @ Nov 17 2008, 02:39 PM) *

thanks for the replies Ferg and Steve. I hope by Dec/Jan i will have my heat issue taken care off. Once again thanks for all the help. Got to save some money for the Dakota digital, and the full tune up.

I know this might be stupid but whats a mallory dizzy. I am new to all this ( the mechanical side )

Mallory unilite distributor for carbed cars. FYI today at ambient temps of 71F= oil temp was 180F,CHT 248F. Good Luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Steve
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 12:03 PM