Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: J-West fuse panel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
Ive had this for a couple years and really think its time to put it in
I am tired ok knocking out the bullet fuses and ive got a couple connections on the old one i think are suspect and effecting a couple circuits, like i lost the dash lights the other day, and the fresh air fan blows a fuse which is the wrong circuit for it so at some point someone messed it up.

- What to i need to know? I am not an electrical guru, but seems like if everything is labeled and i do one circuit at a time i should be able do this.

what i know - disconnect the battery first,

Just looking for advice from those who have done this before.
Phil
CptTripps
Only advice you need: MARK EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU START DISCONNECTING!!!!!!

It's a pretty easy installation, and well worth the money if you ask me.
DRPHIL914
Thanks Doug. i need to figure out why the fresh air fan is on the wrong circuit, and why when my dash lights went out the other day i blew a fuse and had some smoke- scary! so im going to sort tru that as well. Like a lot of things, its probably not as bad as it seems, but i ve heard that we need to have some type of spacer on the back side?? cant remember where i read that.
Chris H.
It comes with some labels to mark the wires I think. I did it, so it can't be that hard biggrin.gif . The lights are brighter and you can't bump the fuses out with your knee any more.
CptTripps
On a scale of 1-10, installing that panel is about a 2 if you are methodical with labeling things and go slow. It really is "plug and play".

If you don't take your time with it, it can be a 10 if you need to go back through and figure out the entire harness.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Oct 31 2014, 01:08 PM) *

On a scale of 1-10, installing that panel is about a 2 if you are methodical with labeling things and go slow. It really is "plug and play".

If you don't take your time with it, it can be a 10 if you need to go back through and figure out the entire harness.

did you use any dielectric grease on the connectors? seems like it would be a good idea.
CptTripps
I did in my last car. One of those "while I'm in there..." things.

I used a q-tip and put it on the male side of the fuse box. Just a little on each tab.

My current build has a completely custom wiring harness that I didn't use it on.

Don't over-cook it. Just make sure you're patient and you'll be done with the whole job in about 30min. It's really pretty easy.
balljoint
agree.gif

I did this with no idea of how long it would take. Just went slowly and followed the instructions. It took half an hour.

Chris H.
The key is NEVER to trust that little voice that says "I'll remember where this one goes, I don't even need to mark it". Mark EVERY ONE.
Larmo63
agree.gif This is probably the best advice on all things 914.
pvollma
I had one installed, and a few months later lost my dash lights and turn signals. Turns out one or more of the contacts had shorted against the base. Be careful when you install the panel that you don't press too hard and cause this problem. I would think some non-conductive tape on the metal base where the contacts might short would be a good idea.
campbellcj
I have a different but similar one - Mark Bland IIRC - and echo the above about taking your time and labeling everything carefully. Also do not assume your current and fuse box are all 100% correct! I've found various mickey-mouse "repairs" on my old cars before.

With a rollcage it's more like a 6 out of 10....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.