Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speaking of Trans Problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HarveyH
I had the car out today and heard a metallic ringing at about 2500 - 3500 RPM, 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. Not noticeable at higher RPM or higher gears possibly due to road, carb and exhaust noise. Noise also goes away if you feather the throttle or press in the clutch. Trans is full of grease and grease is less than 3000 miles old.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Harvey
914itis
Grease or gear oil?
Dave_Darling
Could it be pinging? Or an engine noise rather than trans?

--DD
HarveyH
Hi Dave,
I guess it's possible but it doesn't seem to happen if the car isn't moving. It's running a Pertronix and Crane multi-spark; so I haven't checked the timing in a couple of thousand miles.
I'm not sure if I noticed [t when backing out of the driveway or not..
Harvey
76-914
check your CV bolts, inner and outer, too!
wndsrfr
QUOTE(HarveyH @ Nov 23 2014, 01:54 PM) *

I had the car out today and heard a metallic ringing at about 2500 - 3500 RPM, 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. Not noticeable at higher RPM or higher gears possibly due to road, carb and exhaust noise. Noise also goes away if you feather the throttle or press in the clutch. Trans is full of grease and grease is less than 3000 miles old.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Harvey

Trying to visualize what could do this....narrow rpm range & only certain gears....maybe something jangling around in the shifter console?? Maybe clutch throwout fork. Try resting your hand on gearshift lever & pushing it side to side in the 2500-3500 range to see if the noise changes to either point to or eliminate the shift linkage...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.