Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need to borrow a REFRACTOMETER
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
Slightly off topic, but still garage worthy. I am winterizing my boat. I used RV anti-freeze. It requires the subject tool to properly read the coolant ability.

This is the 1st time I have winterized in a certain manner and the "elders" on the forum I go to for the boat say to measure the stuff. They are so picky. huh.gif They don't think I did it right.

They tell me the mini turkey baster with little balls in it ain't gonna work.

The damn tool is expensive, for a 1 time use thing that's for sure. I have asked a few mechanic friends and no one uses them anymore.

Look familiar?

Click to view attachment

Anyone? I'll send you a UPS label, you find a box, and I'll send it right back. idea.gif
Elliot Cannon
Winterizing? WTF.gif av-943.gif
Mike Bellis
http://www.amazon.com/b?node=393272011

smile.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 25 2014, 09:23 PM) *

Winterizing? WTF.gif av-943.gif

Al Gore is from TN, but we have not had the GLUT of warming that he has made so much money preaching about. barf.gif

So yes, I am protecting my investment for when we have multiple days below 32*F. My old I/O runabout had several "accidents" thru the winter.

Freeze plugs pop, power steering cooler popped a few times, exhaust manifolds crack. It ain't new, but it is mine.

Click to view attachment
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 25 2014, 09:30 PM) *

5 minutes is all I need. shades.gif $20 for five minutes? That is like a rate at a strip club.
Ansbacher
20 bucks is the new 5 bucks nowadays. Grin and bear it.
bandjoey
Take a sample into your favorite menhanic to b tested?
r_towle
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Nov 25 2014, 10:07 PM) *

Slightly off topic, but still garage worthy. I am winterizing my boat. I used RV anti-freeze. It requires the subject tool to properly read the coolant ability.

This is the 1st time I have winterized in a certain manner and the "elders" on the forum I go to for the boat say to measure the stuff. They are so picky. huh.gif They don't think I did it right.

The damn tool is expensive, for a 1 time use thing that's for sure. I have asked a few mechanic friends and no one uses them anymore.

Look familiar?

Click to view attachment

Anyone? I'll send you a UPS label, you find a box, and I'll send it right back. idea.gif

Get a short piece of hose and a funnel.
Put the hose ok the suction cup water inlet things
Pour the antifreeze into the funnel, into the motor until it pours out the exhaust.
5 gallons will do it.
malcolm2
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 25 2014, 11:49 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Nov 25 2014, 10:07 PM) *

Look familiar?

Click to view attachment

Get a short piece of hose and a funnel.
Put the hose ok the suction cup water inlet things
Pour the antifreeze into the funnel, into the motor until it pours out the exhaust.
5 gallons will do it.

It is not a tuff process, and you aren't too far off.

But an inboard engine does not like water to be forced inside, it prefers to SUCK it up.
The engine needs to run, so the battery needs to be charged. So I have a rig with a 7 gallon bucket and the inlet hose.
A couple of screens to check, petcocks to cleanout, fog the carb, have a beer and your done.
malcolm2
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 25 2014, 11:47 PM) *

Take a sample into your favorite menhanic to b tested?

I did find a mechanic that will help... not local, but the sample will be sent.
Mueller
Too late I'm guessing but many machine shops use these to test the coolant of the CNC machines.

Couldn't hurt to ask if you have some local shop
malcolm2
I FORGOT TO POST THE RESULTS HERE SO.....

Results of the refractometer are as follows:

1.036 specific gravity

46%ppt

= what temp to freeze?

I understand the RV anti-freeze I used had an SG of 1.039 so would that be 99.X% of -50* or -49.9*F? should be fine with GLOBAL WARMING and all.

Thanks to TimothyND... he was my tester. Even sent me a picture.

Click to view attachment

What kills me is the reply from the expert that said i did not winterize my boat properly. 1. He said that RV anti-freeze is not supposed to be diluted. My reply: 99.9% pure....JEEZE MAN!

and 2. "Well I hope you got good coverage in all the lower nooks and cranies". JEEZE MAN! You just can't please some people.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.