Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unsolicited plug for 'Road & Track'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nozzle
I hadn't read the magazine 'Road & Track' really since I was a kid, but my wife got me a free subscription last Christmas and I have to say it's better than it ever was even without regular Peter Egan editorials. One of the very few magazines I read from cover to cover and always come away impressed. So if like me you'd been away for a long time, maybe it's time to get reacquainted. I think you'll be happy you did. santa_smiley.gif
EdwardBlume
I never read a People cover to cover until I got food poisoning in Tahoe once... pain30.gif
pt_700
as a long time subscriber, i have to respectfully disagree.

it looks and feels (and often reads) like a fashion magazine now. not to say there aren't some good articles but, i'm not sure if i'll renew.
richardL
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Dec 18 2014, 10:22 AM) *

it looks and feels (and often reads) like a fashion magazine now. not to say there aren't some good articles but, i'm not sure if i'll renew.

My feelings exactly - I read it for years, until it all changed and I could not stand it anymore, so I cancelled.

They do an 'auto renew' as well, you have to go online to cancel - then they add your email to all kinds of junk lists - I started receiving offers for all their other rags, about cooking and embroidery etc. Took ages to get off the lists
maf914
Not meaning to go negative on Nozzle, but I also respectfully disagree.

I have read Road & Track since I was a kid in the sixties. Along with Car & Driver it was my first exposure to sports cars, sports car racing and Formula 1. Magazines were the only source of info in those pre-pre-pre internet days.

When R&T made the format change a couple of years ago, I didn't like it, but I decided I would give it a chance. Then Peter Egan left and along with that the best reason to continue. The magazine now feels like a men's fashion magazine. I don't know if I will renew again.

Another magazine that has recently made a disastrous format change is Classic Motorsports, Grassroots Motorsports sister publication. Used to be a favorite...
GeorgeRud
When the corporate group bought R&T and C&D, I think they both went downhill. Autoweek also has gone downhill over the years in my mind. Maybe it's me getting older anymore cynical, but they all seem to just be doing the same thing, and all the great columnists that gave them character have gone away.
stevegm
QUOTE(maf914 @ Dec 19 2014, 07:40 AM) *

Not meaning to go negative on Nozzle, but I also respectfully disagree.

I have read Road & Track since I was a kid in the sixties. Along with Car & Driver it was my first exposure to sports cars, sports car racing and Formula 1. Magazines were the only source of info in those pre-pre-pre internet days.

When R&T made the format change a couple of years ago, I didn't like it, but I decided I would give it a chance. Then Peter Egan left and along with that the best reason to continue. The magazine now feels like a men's fashion magazine. I don't know if I will renew again.

Another magazine that has recently made a disastrous format change is Classic Motorsports, Grassroots Motorsports sister publication. Used to be a favorite...

What format change did Classic Motorsports and Grassroots Motorsports recently make? I haven't paid much attention to them in a while.
sbsix
The age of the magazine is really gone. R & T was a bible for many years to us older car guys, but even when they got rid of the good writers and Dennis S. and changed the format I subscribed just for Peter Egan. When he left there was no reason to continue but they badgered me with dunning notices and threats when I let my subscription end without renewal.

They deserve to be gone, hopefully soon.

At least Pete Stout has revived Panorama and made it so much better than before. Excellence was great when Stout was the editor, but it's on the downhill since he left. The rest of the car mags are mediocre now, too. Sad really.
wndsnd
I agree,

They all mostly suck. I anxciously look over the bookcase before I board a flight but I rarely find anything I will pay the outragious prices for.

Occaisionally I will find a 911 magazine like Excellence or one of the English publications at a book store, but that is a rare treat.

John
bigkensteele
Ditto. The new format seems schizophrenic to me. 57 globules of unrelated information on a page is irritating. My wife does marketing and communications for a living, and she tells me that this is quite the fad right now. They call it info tags or some such nonsense.

So I think it depends on your age. If you are a 20-something hipster, you might like it. Otherwise, it probably led you to drop the subscription (like me).
orthobiz
How about Sports Car Market. That's my current fave...

Paul
stevegm
QUOTE(sbsix @ Dec 19 2014, 04:43 PM) *

The age of the magazine is really gone. R & T was a bible for many years to us older car guys, but even when they got rid of the good writers and Dennis S. and changed the format I subscribed just for Peter Egan. When he left there was no reason to continue but they badgered me with dunning notices and threats when I let my subscription end without renewal.

They deserve to be gone, hopefully soon.

At least Pete Stout has revived Panorama and made it so much better than before. Excellence was great when Stout was the editor, but it's on the downhill since he left. The rest of the car mags are mediocre now, too. Sad really.

Ya, I agree. I have been thinking about this for a while. What happened to useful magazines? Pano from the 70s. While I agree that much of the media has moved online, I still believe there is value in print, if it is done correctly. I miss paper, and being able to carry it around and read it when I get a second, or take it to the garage, etc.

I worked with Tim on some projects about a decade ago right after he founded Classic Motorsports. It was good then. I haven't paid much attention to it lately. I guess I need to pick it up and see what has changed.

This conversation is coming at a very interesting time, given a new project that I am starting. More to come soon . . . .
emoze
X2 X2

i just got offer to re-subscribe for $8 - tore it up - CD and GRM will not be renewed either

QUOTE(maf914 @ Dec 19 2014, 04:40 AM) *

When R&T made the format change a couple of years ago, I didn't like it, but I decided I would give it a chance. Then Peter Egan left and along with that the best reason to continue. The magazine now feels like a men's fashion magazine.

Beach914
No comparing a late sixties R&T to a recent edition. I have a collection of them from 1965 until 1974 and it'll never be like that again. Yeah I'm old, but I also appreciate the new tech and use of social media, but the soul of the magazine is gone.
r_towle
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Dec 19 2014, 05:36 PM) *

I agree,

They all mostly suck. I anxciously look over the bookcase before I board a flight but I rarely find anything I will pay the outragious prices for.

Occaisionally I will find a 911 magazine like Excellence or one of the English publications at a book store, but that is a rare treat.

John

Ipad, kindle, really any reader.....take your pic.
The volumes of great media available is really cool, a lot is free.

I subscribe to 20 or more online magazines, when deals come up, or free.
Lots of stuff to read on a plane.

Rich
ethanbrooks
Buying a brand new car is not that easy if you are not financially stable. You should have a lot of cash in order for you to buy a new car. It was super easy to get a fantastic auto loan and the best deal on a brand new vehicle through a site I came across. I put in my location to find the vehicle I wanted, and the site helped me compare costs. It is much easier to get a great deal whenever you know precisely what to cover your car. When have you sought details concerning a new or pre-owned motor vehicle and turned to an online search on my car loan? Look no further, everything you must have is located at CarDealExpert.com! If you need to get your car fix, you should try availing an auto loan right now. You will be able to get your car fix on time.
rgalla9146

Nozzle and ethanbrooks
Hmmmmm.......
pt_700
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Dec 18 2014, 11:22 AM) *

not to resurrect an old thread, and out of respect to the o.p., i must eat a bit of crow...

the last few issues have been pretty darn good! the current issue has a nice shot of the new cayman gt4 on it's cover and a good article within. i also really dug the article on "king of the hammers" race in the mojave.

nice to have you back, road & track! glad i didn't follow through on my threat not to re-subscribe...
struckn
I get and read Road & Track and agree it's changed but feel it's still worth the low subscription cost.

I also get Panorama and the cost is Membership in PCA, which I like very much being part of. The Photograph in Panorama is incredible.

The other Magazine which I think fills the void is Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car. I enjoy David LaChance, Editor, reminds me a lot some of Peter Egan.

Front Porch. Rocking Chair, Cigar and a cold beverage is where I read, weather permitting.

bigkensteele
QUOTE(struckn @ May 29 2015, 05:32 PM) *

I get and read Road & Track and agree it's changed but feel it's still worth the low subscription cost.

I also get Panorama and the cost is Membership in PCA, which I like very much being part of. The Photograph in Panorama is incredible.

The other Magazine which I think fills the void is Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car. I enjoy David LaChance, Editor, reminds me a lot some of Peter Egan.

Front Porch. Rocking Chair, Cigar and a cold beverage is where I read, weather permitting.

Funny, you and I have the exact same subscription list. The only difference is that I prefer the back patio in a hanging chair and no cigar, but I might give that a shot and see if it enhances the experience! beerchug.gif
GeorgeRud
Excellence, GRM, and Hemmings Sports and Exotics give me enough to read. Road & Track became the same as Car & Driver in my mind when they came under the same corporate group, and there's not a lot of information presented that you can't easily get online these days.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ May 29 2015, 10:38 PM) *

QUOTE(struckn @ May 29 2015, 05:32 PM) *

Funny, you and I have the exact same subscription list. The only difference is that I prefer the back patio in a hanging chair and no cigar, but I might give that a shot and see if it enhances the experience! beerchug.gif

Funny, I usually read R&T on the shitter. It usually sits on top of the tank when I'm not reading it.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 29 2015, 07:44 PM) *

Excellence, GRM, and Hemmings Sports and Exotics give me enough to read. Road & Track became the same as Car & Driver in my mind when they came under the same corporate group, and there's not a lot of information presented that you can't easily get online these days.

+1 on Hemmings, it's online every M-F morning, lately on Sunday too.
Very informative, great staff, fun reading...lots of automotive history that I've never known.
I have burned out years ago on automotive rags, and their redundant renewal tactics. Being in the industry I get it all from A-to-Z . SEMA sends a catalog size magazine monthly , fun reading about the latest chrome junk (NOT), then pitching into the recycle bin.
Marty
Larmo63
What is great about Pete Stout is that he is a 914 guy. He gets us. He has singlehandedly transformed Panorama and he is a really really nice guy. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.