Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Argh- PO used RTV between cam tower and head- now stuck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I'm changing out my cylinder heads on my /6. For the most part the engine came apart quite easily. The engine looks to be in good condition. One huge problem is that it looks like whoever rebuilt this ing ine previously used a thin layer of RTV sealant between the cylinder heads and cam tower. I cannot separate the heads from the tower because of the damn RTV. I Would prefer not to damage the heads or tower however I could damage the heads if I have to since I am not reusing them. I removed the head/tower unit from the engine by undoing the head barrel nuts.

Any ideas how to remove the heads from the cam tower?
r_towle
Map gas torch, melt the rtv
wndsnd
Use a soft mallet and tap around softly. It should not be that hard. Sometimes the dowel pins will stick.

John
Luke M
You have to seal the head to cam tower surface otherwise you will have a huge oil leak issue to deal with later. Usually case sealer is used to seal these surfaces but there was a rtv product around that some people used. I've always had to tap the heads off the towers. I would think that the dowel pins are probably a little stuck too and not just the rtv. Fyi just be careful not to hit the heads too hard to crack the cooling fins off. Also if you plan to split the case get a helper as it's a pain by yourself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.