Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny Mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I have seen torn, ripped and deteriorated mounts on many different cars. That type of failure is pretty clear. My 914 OEM tranny mounts are not torn-up, can they be too hard? Are there other "failures" to look for?

Clark
stugray
Here's one way of seeing what a failed tranny mount looks like:

Put a floor jack under the trans intermediate plate.
Jack up the rear of the car till the wheels are off the ground.

Look up at the tranny mounts. That is what a failed one looks like (all stretched and broken)

I used to jack my car up that way until I ruined the trans mounts.
THEN I bought the semi-solid mounts so that I could jack it up that way wihtout ruining them.
THEN I listened to all the experienced people here who say to NOT do that, and I jack up the rear of the car from the side donuts now.

Sorry, not much help but I feel better now :-)
Chris Pincetich
It's really tough to see problems with them while they are installed. I didn't see the ripped rubber until I removed them. They're easy to remove with the transaxle supported beerchug.gif
aturboman
Clark I've found they tend to sag significantly over time I'd guess from the heat and constant downward pull of the drivetrain.

I took a really good looking but original set out of a car and didn't notice until I compared it to a set of NOS mounts I found. The used mounts sat almost 3/4" lower and felt petrified as well when I tested the deflection.

I guess its like 40 year old tires that aren't worn out; they'd be hard and suffer from flat spots no doubt. Anyhow changing them made a huge difference on driveline NVH.
pete000
Mine were broken. See the large cracks...I had to remove them to see they were dead.

I replaced them with Wevo performance mounts.
ndfrigi
Just an inquiry! If the transmission mount is similar to the above picture with crack rubber, is there a big issue on shifting?
Dave_Darling
It could be a big issue... It certainly wouldn't help!

--DD
euro911
I just change them out for 911 mounts shades.gif
somd914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 25 2015, 03:40 AM) *

I just change them out for 911 mounts shades.gif

agree.gif It was inexpensive and took about an hour to do - once I pulled mine they looked OK, so I just wrote it off as preventative maintenance.
Dr Evil
I 3rd 911 mounts. Shifting sux with bad mounts and as stated it is hard to tell with them in the car and hooked up. Its easy enough to pull them and inspect. 1hr or so.
r_towle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 25 2015, 09:41 AM) *

I 3rd 911 mounts. Shifting sux with bad mounts and as stated it is hard to tell with them in the car and hooked up. Its easy enough to pull them and inspect. 1hr or so.

agree.gif

the whole motor moves each time you go from an under load condition, then clutch in with no load, then loaded.....it can twist.

You set your shifter when its sitting unloaded....so its a whole lot of movement that makes shifting just suck.

replace all the mounts...then you are good for another ten years at least.

tranny mounts and engine mounts.

sometimes you can see it..
have a helper rev up the car while you lay under the back and watch.
rev it hard then drop it to nothing....try to torque the motor around...
If you see more movement from the motor than the car, its probably time to change them out...

Rich
ndfrigi
Sorry for the hijack on this thread.
I should have read this thread before I inverted the part of the tranny mount yesterday so I don't have to do it again. But anyway, it only took me less than an hour when I remove the tranny mount and installed it back.

Click to view attachment

Can you share the 911 tranny mount part name, or is it the same with the Wevo that Pete000 used?

stugray
QUOTE(pete000 @ Apr 24 2015, 06:42 PM) *

Mine were broken. See the large cracks...I had to remove them to see they were dead.

I just tried to takes pics of my failed ones, but they look exactly like pete's and his pic is better.

I used the cheaper solid mounts from pelican part # TR-MNT-001

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(pete000 @ Apr 24 2015, 05:42 PM) *

You're missing the big cup washers!
shades.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Apr 24 2015, 09:29 AM) *

I have seen torn, ripped and deteriorated mounts on many different cars. That type of failure is pretty clear. My 914 OEM tranny mounts are not torn-up, can they be too hard? Are there other "failures" to look for?

Clark

I should have mentioned that the transmission is OUT.

I wiggled the long bolt around and found that one mount is cracked around the center insert. While they are dirty and grey looking, turns out they are not hard as I first thought.

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.