Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct door gap between rear fender and the door.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jkb944t
I am in the process of replacing the section of fender shown below.

Click to view attachment

I am trying to line up the new fender section with the door correctly but I am not sure how to set the gap. What is the correct gap and will it be the same from the top of the door gap to the bottom. The gap seems to want to vary from about .185 at the top of the door to about .210 at the bottom.

Click to view attachment

I could use some good input on how best to align this fender section and what is the correct gap before I weld it in place and tie it into the fender flare.

Jeff B
cary
What have you done to the car?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(jkb944t @ May 21 2015, 05:31 AM) *

I could use some good input on how best to align this fender section and what is the correct gap before I weld it in place and tie it into the fender flare.

Jeff B

Do you have the correct rockers for a flared car? If so you might want to set them first as it will help determine where the fenders get placed.

Others will chime in on the door gap.
jkb944t
I probably should have clarified that I had already welded the fender flare on and then realized that there had been a poor repair done to the section of the fender between the fender flare and the door.

Click to view attachment

I went back and cut the bad section out including the sail panel above the bad section outlined in the picture. Now I am working on replacing it with a good section of a fender that I purchased from a member on this forum.

I just need some advice on what the door jam gap should be once it is lined up correctly.

Jeff B
cary
5 mm
Downunderman
So much simpler in metric. Been that way down here since 1976.
jkb944t
Thanks, 5mm seems reasonable based on what I am seeing. It varies about .5mm from the top to the bottom of the door but I imagine that is probably normal.

Jeff B
stevegm
The thickness of 2 1/2 dimes laid flat. 2 is to little, 3 too much.
cary
Here's what I'm doing.

Click to view attachment

rgalla9146
Please don't do this job with the car on the rotisserie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.