Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: CA DMV test ****UPDATE****
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland

All the questions, except 3, were exactly the same as the DMV on-line test. Missed 1; questions asked what the penalty is for not obeying a peace officer: A $1,000 fine
B. Up to 6 mo in jail C. Citation and Warning

Vision test is way easy.

I'm taking a renewal test Tuesday, right after a dental appt.... sad.gif

I've taken the on-line tests and read through the test booklet. I can only miss 3 questions on a renewal and found that some of the questions are a little tricky or worded poorly.

Anyone have a favorite DMV question ? smile.gif
Cairo94507
Hi Jim- just be sure to read the question twice to make sure you are actually answering the question they are asking. You will be fine.
EdwardBlume
Drink a beer before the test! beerchug.gif

or don't drink a beer before the test. blink.gif
76-914
Why do you need a license? You'll never get pulled over, Jim. biggrin.gif And thanks for the tips on Cambria.
Spoke
My daughter missed this one: On a traffic light, which color is on top?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 23 2015, 07:17 AM) *

RED.....Looked it up to make sure smile.gif

Kent, did get pulled over in Monterey- got a warning though. ( it wasn't for driving too slow )
Maltese Falcon
Read up on the new Ca.dmv bicycle rules of the road. Motor vehicles must share the road, lanes, etc. with cyclists (freeways+toll roads NOT).
It's about distance between car+bike, etc. You will be asked to answer in feet.
BTW; I have been noticing lots of cyclists here in L.A. flat out risking life+limb to poor cycling judgement, including running red lights.
4,000 lbs. of GM Vs.a bicycle is a no brainer.
Good luck on your test Jim smile.gif
Marty
screenguy914
Jim,
There are sample tests on the DMV website you can review. Pretty sure they cover the gamut of topics you'll encounter.

Renewals are required to answer only half the questions of those given to new applicants.

Best wishes,
Sherwood
Spoke
Here's another from the PA DOT drivers test: How far behind you do you adjust your inside rear view mirror? (100, 200, 400 feet?)
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ May 23 2015, 08:14 AM) *

Read up on the new Ca.dmv bicycle rules of the road. Motor vehicles must share the road, lanes, etc. with cyclists (freeways+toll roads NOT).
It's about distance between car+bike, etc. You will be asked to answer in feet.
BTW; I have been noticing lots of cyclists here in L.A. flat out risking life+limb to poor cycling judgement, including running red lights.
4,000 lbs. of GM Vs.a bicycle is a no brainer.
Good luck on your test Jim smile.gif
Marty

Good point ! There's a section in the test book on bike right-of-way rights. I'll bone up.

Screenguy: Did the on-line DMV test. Great resource; 15 practice test.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 23 2015, 08:56 AM) *

Here's another from the PA DOT drivers test: How far behind you do you adjust your inside rear view mirror? (100, 200, 400 feet?)

" Set to a distance at least 200 feet" TA-DAAAA! smile.gif

per CVC 26709
914bub
You got this! I had to renew my license last month. I renewed both motorcycle and regular drivers license so I had to take two different tests. Both tests were administered on a computer, (touch screen), and for both you were allowed to SKIP up to three questions! I couldn't believe it. Now I know why there are so many crappy drivers here.

Read the book, take the online tests, you'll do fine. I was actually more worried about failing the eye sight test. I eeked that out as well.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(914bub @ May 23 2015, 10:42 AM) *

You got this! I had to renew my license last month. I renewed both motorcycle and regular drivers license so I had to take two different tests. Both tests were administered on a computer, (touch screen), and for both you were allowed to SKIP up to three questions! I couldn't believe it. Now I know why there are so many crappy drivers here.

Read the book, take the online tests, you'll do fine. I was actually more worried about failing the eye sight test. I eeked that out as well.

Thanks. The eye test has me concerned too.... sad.gif
Mike Bellis
Don't forget these...

Must give bicyclists 3 feet of clearance.

Pedestrians have the right-of-way regardless of crosswalk.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 23 2015, 02:25 PM) *

Don't forget these...

Must give bicyclists 3 feet of clearance.

Pedestrians have the right-of-way regardless of crosswalk.

Got the pedestrian question on nearly every sample test; I'll remember the 3' clearance ....Thanks
914bub
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 23 2015, 01:24 PM) *

Thanks. The eye test has me concerned too.... sad.gif

I was stressing the eye test big time because last renewal I was marginal. I cheated ,(kind of) on that test last time.

Here's what I noticed. As you probably know they have three eye charts labeled 1,2 and 3. On each chart there are five lines labeled 1-5. If you look at the charts while your waiting you'll see that they use the same letters on EVERY line on EVERY chart, in a different order of course.

If I remember correctly the letters are T,E,F,D, and I think A. Might be a P in there instead of one of the letters I listed. That eliminates the whole rest of the alphabet! At least you know your only dealing with 5 letters,no matter which line your reading.

Here's how I cheated years ago at the Capitola DMV. I apparently got a lazy DMV tech. He told me to read chart A line 1 with both eyes open, so I did. He told me next to cover 1 eye and read chart A, line 2. Knowing my left eye was worse than my right I covered the left eye and read line 2. Since he was being predictable I quickly studied line 3 after reading line 2. Sure enough he told me to cover my right eye and read chart A, line 3! I just got lucky that he was being lazy and all.

For the record my test last month was taken in the hell hole I call Modesto. barf.gif
jim_hoyland
Yeah....

Lots of hits when searching on CA DMV eye tests smile.gif
busmech
try taking mine: regular, commercial, air brake and passenger.
around 100 questions
6freak
QUOTE(busmech @ May 23 2015, 05:35 PM) *

try taking mine: regular, commercial, air brake and passenger.
around 100 questions

then add Endorsements, class A semi,T tankers, D doubles, Unrestricted, if it can be on the road I can legally drive it
smile.gif
good luck Jim

jim_hoyland
Passed today ! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
busmech
Congrats
Cuda911
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 23 2015, 07:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ May 23 2015, 07:17 AM) *

RED.....Looked it up to make sure smile.gif

Ummm... you better study a bit more:

Chris914n6
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 23 2015, 05:21 AM) *

Debit or credit?

We only get tested for vision.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 26 2015, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 23 2015, 05:21 AM) *

Debit or credit?

We only get tested for vision.

Like this ?

VaccaRabite
Y'all have to take tests when you renue your liscense?

For us its just $10, a new picture taken (if you want) and wait a couple minutes for the liscense to get printed.

I dont think I even needed to take a test to get my PA license in the first place. They just used my MD license and gave me a PA one.

Zach
VegasRacer
Jim, what was the question that you missed? confused24.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ May 27 2015, 07:59 AM) *

Jim, what was the question that you missed? confused24.gif

Question was: What is the penalty for failing to comply with a police officer.

A. Citation with warning
B. Citation and $1,000 fine
C. Citation and up to 1 year in jail

The answer to the above question can be found in the CVC 2800

This question, like 2 others, was not on any of the on-line practice tests.
Blue6
I guess "C"....
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Blue6 @ May 27 2015, 09:09 AM) *

I guess "C"....

smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 27 2015, 08:46 AM) *
What is the penalty for failing to comply with a police officer?

A. Citation with warning

Or option D if you're black ...
dry.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 27 2015, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 27 2015, 08:46 AM) *
What is the penalty for failing to comply with a police officer?

A. Citation with warning

Or option D if you're black ...
dry.gif

you beat me to it.
pete000
Pedestrians always have the right of way even if they are stupid !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.