Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The RS is Officially for Sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Pages: 1, 2
Series9
Here she goes!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301655447270?ssPag...984.m1555.l2649

If you're a member of 914World and you're interested in owning this extraordinary 914, please contact me here for special consideration.

See my blog for full documentation of the build.

beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
That is a one hell of a lot of car for not a lot of cash. GLWTS.
Series9
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 6 2015, 05:34 PM) *

That is a one hell of a lot of car for not a lot of cash. GLWTS.

Now, let's find a new owner who agrees with you. beerchug.gif
Ferg
Will U paint it brown for me shades.gif w00t.gif
Series9
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 8 2015, 12:19 PM) *

Will U paint it brown for me shades.gif w00t.gif

I will. piratenanner.gif
rick 918-S
icon_bump.gif for Joe! Great car! I have seen this car an it's a top notch build!
euro911
Wow sad.gif
patrick3000
Very nice car, priced well. GLWYS
Bobby Smith
Looks like a no sale on ebay. What is the for sale price?
Series9

For members of 914World, the price is $45k and I will deliver it to your door at no extra charge.

sunglasses.gif
Series9
If anyone can tell me what I'm going wrong, I would love to hear it.

I have participated in the sale of several 3.2 (that S9 produced) conversions that brought north of $40k, and I can't get an offer in the mid-30s on a car that is vastly higher in quality, vastly more powerful and more perfect in every way than any 914 I've ever seen.

Anyone?
mepstein
Give it more time.
Series9
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 19 2015, 08:38 PM) *

Give it more time.

Fair enough. beerchug.gif
matthepcat
Agree more time.

Also cars are very much a personal taste thing, so you have to find the same person that likes the car's style. ( Especially in the mid-high 914 price range)

My personal concerns with the style:

- not much a fan of multi colored body panels
- no windows
- yellow (always thought it was for cabs)
- mufflers detract from the rear shape
- think it would look better with Fuchs
- not sold on the tail lights.

This just further supports the personal taste thing. Someone out there loves it just like you built it.
Wonderbread
Hate to say it but your going to have a hard time getting a penny more than fifteen grand.
Mueller
Hi Joe....

I still wear one of your original Series 9 hats so a big fan of yours!

That said, a few turn-offs on your car, for me at least.

No door windows, not sure how modified it is to be able to install them again.

The mufflers are huge turn offs for me, I know that is a minor thing but they are just a huge distraction for some reason.

Can a roof still be put on the car?

If so, perhaps take a few shots with roof on?

Mike
rhodyguy
Put functional door windows in it. Personal design can be a tough sell. Example...Craig Laughlin had a very nice conversion he sold. The black one that the new owner made radical changes to while managing to spend radical money. I mean serious money. This was before the incredible price spike we've see. He attempted to sell it and took a HUGE loss. Your ad is great! No bs and too the point. GLWTS.
euro911
agree.gif - the audience for a car of this caliber is going to be limited, so it's going to take a while for the right buyer to surface. I've gone through the same situation with motorcycles I've offered for sale -
I'd receive tons of emails telling me to dream-on, but eventually, the right buyers showed up and I typically got the prices I was asking.

Hang in there, Joe.
Chris H.
Yeah hang in there as long as it takes Joe. That car is awesome. I do agree you might want to consider sticking some side windows in it if it's not too hard to do. Otherwise leave it. Whoever buys it will make their own changes.

Remember Elliot's car...the yellow one...took a while to sell that but now anyone here would buy it for his asking price.
rhodyguy
The "Zonker" was a give away at current 914 pricing.
Series9
QUOTE(Wonderbread @ Jun 19 2015, 09:22 PM) *

Hate to say it but your going to have a hard time getting a penny more than fifteen grand.

I'm very happy that you are completely wrong about that. shades.gif
rhodyguy
Ha!
AntiHero
I cannot believe that this car sold for 25K. Had I only known.....damn. Edit: See it didn't sell and was relisted!
naro914
Joe
First of all...awesome build and amazing attention to detail!! Nicely done!

Here's my opinion - and only my opinion so take it for what its worth:

In some ways, its built to be a race car: no windows, no room up front with the oil tank and cooler system, etc. But in reality, it is not a race car because you can't race a 3.6 liter engine'd 914 anywhere, it's got too nice of an interior, I would rather see the front cooler vent somewhere other than just into the front trunk with a fan for racing, etc..

So what is it? A cool hot rod 914? Absolutely!! But...extremely impractical for anything but short cruises in perfect weather. So it needs to appeal to that exact person that is looking for that and wants to pay that much money for it.

I run into the same thing with my 914's if I ever wanted to sell...especially Huey. Its not a good race car with a stock 3.2 engine, not a good street car because of roll cage, stiff springs, solid mounts, not a great autocross car because of class and fairly stock suspension...

Someone will want it, it just may take time. There is always a buyer out there, and the more unique or modified, the longer it usually takes...but there will be someone. Hang in there.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jun 19 2015, 05:33 PM) *

I have participated in the sale of several 3.2 (that S9 produced) conversions that brought north of $40k, and I can't get an offer in the mid-30s on a car that is vastly higher in quality, vastly more powerful and more perfect in every way than any 914 I've ever seen.

Anyone?

Beautiful car. Great build. Top quality.
With that said it is a niche market you are selling to. Too personalized for $60k. I know it would cost more than that to replicate. Labor is a big expense that is hard to recoup. If it were a mostly stock, with flares, with windows, with 3.6L, you might get closer to your goal. The market is soft on modified (heavily) cars due to the inflation of original cars and real -6's.

I feel your car, like mine will always be an upside down investment. They are cool, we like (love) them but they are an acquired taste. It will take lots of time to find the right buyer. Even parted out, it would be hard to reach the $60k mark in a timely manner.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 24 2015, 01:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ Jun 19 2015, 05:33 PM) *

Anyone?

Beautiful car. Great build. Top quality.
With that said it is a niche market you are selling to. Too personalized for $60k. I know it would cost more than that to replicate. Labor is a big expense that is hard to recoup. If it were a mostly stock, with flares, with windows, with 3.6L, you might get closer to your goal. The market is soft on modified (heavily) cars due to the inflation of original cars and real -6's.

I feel your car, like mine will always be an upside down investment. They are cool, we like (love) them but they are an acquired taste. It will take lots of time to find the right buyer. Even parted out, it would be hard to reach the $60k mark in a timely manner.

I think the sale price is $45K, right?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 24 2015, 03:28 AM) *

I think the sale price is $45K, right?

The "buy it now" was $59k. It's $45k to a 914 world member.
Series9
Standby......

The RS is coming in the shop to be genericized in an attempt to widen its audience.

Metal deck lids painted to match, metal front bumper painted a solid color, black front valance, windows in the doors, wipers and stock tail lights....
mepstein
It might also help to list it on sites that sell unique cars. It's a bargain hotrod for the right person.
rhodyguy
i think the backdating is going to go a long way hitting your target buyer pool. glwts. btw, how much for the current tail lights?
Series9
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 21 2015, 02:55 PM) *

how much for the current tail lights?

$150 beerchug.gif
Sedonut
My 2 cents.

Going to doors with windows and painting the carbon fiber will make it more marketable. Even though I am planning a build with clear coated carbon fiber.

The other thing I have noticed that sells, Fuch wheels.

If you look at Singer, they have a lot of parts that look like stock 911, yet are not. I would market your car as a 914 that was done like"Singer", would do a 914, with money no object. Brag about how much you spent and how much it would cost to replicate. You are 90% of the way. Then I would ask Singer prices.

Take a look at the article in Road and Track, July 2015.

After the changes ask $100,000. The rich are different than you and I. paying more makes it worth more to them.
TravisNeff
Joe, I think you are doing all the right stuff to open up the market!
MoveQik
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jul 21 2015, 05:02 PM) *

Joe, I think you are doing all the right stuff to open up the market!

Agreed. It is a beautiful rotisserie built 3.6 with no expense spared on parts. Tone it down a bit and that car sells and someone is getting an amazing car.
rhodyguy
the next owner can install any sort of wheel they might want. if joe has to layout more money just to get his asking he'll never recoup that unless he raises the price to cover. trying to justify an increase in price is a step backwards. the car should sell itself when the back dating is finished. someone will be getting a fair if not good deal. jmho.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 21 2015, 10:33 AM) *

Standby......

The RS is coming in the shop to be genericized in an attempt to widen its audience.

Metal deck lids painted to match, metal front bumper painted a solid color, black front valance, windows in the doors, wipers and stock tail lights....

Does that mean the c/f lids are for sale? Not that I can probably afford, but how much are you thinking?
Series9
The Getty lids are for sale for $900 for the pair.

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jul 22 2015, 02:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 21 2015, 10:33 AM) *

Standby......

Does that mean the c/f lids are for sale? Not that I can probably afford, but how much are you thinking?

Sedonut
Pm Sent on the Getty carbon fiber decklids.
Series9

Sale pending..... beerchug.gif
euro911
The car or the deck lids?
Series9
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 27 2015, 03:46 PM) *

The RS.
mepstein
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 27 2015, 04:44 PM) *

The RS.

Congrats!
Did you have to modify or did it sell as-is.
euro911
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 27 2015, 01:44 PM) *
The RS.
aktion035.gif
Chris H.
Nice! Hope you got what you wanted. That's a nice car.
Series9
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 27 2015, 04:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 27 2015, 04:44 PM) *

The RS.

Congrats!
Did you have to modify or did it sell as-is.

Wipers and door windows.
Series9

The deal fell through.

Just so you know, I will not put the car on a trailer and pull it 1000 miles to your house for free, BEFORE you pay for the car. AFTER you pay in full, I will deliver it to you. AFTER you pay in full, I will modify the car to your specs. I think that's pretty fair.

If you want to inspect the car prior to delivery and you live far away, hop on an airliner and come to S9. That's what I would do before I purchased a car like this.

euro911
Or at least half (earnest money) up front and the balance in cash upon delivery confused24.gif
Series9
In the end, he basically let his attorney, who he had heavily involved, kill the deal.

THIS WAS HIS ATTORNEY'S BIGGEST PROBLEM (read on, you won't believe it):

I offered to deliver the car in three weeks AT MY EXPENSE. His attorney latched on to that and wanted me to sign a guarantee. I said I would, with one caveat: If my 7-month-pregnant girlfriend had any complications, I would be able to push it back a little. I stated she has no problems, but it should be a reasonable request, just in case.

The attorney said absolutely not!

So, in the end, an attorney ruined the deal because he couldn't give a pregnant lady a little latitude. Classy.
Series9
Also, the Getty decks have been sold. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.