Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SoCal shop to sort out my shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
john77
Shifting into first has started making a blood curdling grinding noise even when I come to a dead stop. My shifter is sloppy as hell - I dread any AX course where I get into 3rd as more often than not I'll downshift into 4th rather than 2nd - so I'd been considering upgrading, possibly to a Rennshift, for a while anyway. So, I'm thinking it might be time for a whole gearbox/shifter/bushing 'while I'm in there' upgrade.

Anyone in SoCal had this done and been really pleased with the results? Any shop in SoCal you could recommend?

I know it's rarer than an albino saquatch, but I'd love to come out the other side of this with as precise a 914 gear change as possible.
Elliot Cannon
It might be something a simple as loose "cone screws". I'd check them first, if you haven't already.
bandjoey
replace the shift bushings and you can adjust the linkage yourself. No special tools and a couple hours work. Do a search here and you'll probably find some pictures it's not hard.
Hank914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 19 2015, 02:58 PM) *

It might be something a simple as loose "cone screws". I'd check them first, if you haven't already.

agree.gif

Start with cone screws and all bushings.

Then move up to the rest of the tranny.

DIY with Dr Evils CD-ROM, clinic and help from this community.
bandjoey
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=257269

Trannie notes to read.
rjames
914 shifting is considered fairly sloppy even when everything is adjusted right.

If it's grinding, I would start with adjusting the clutch first. Something you should learn how to do because it's easy you'll likely have to do it once in a while. Save the big jobs for a shop or you'll go broke quickly.
john77
Thanks guys. I was wondering if this was something I could do myself. I have zero experience working on my cars beyond cosmetic and electrical jobs, but it's something I want to do and I recently started collecting parts and reading up how to rebuild my front suspension. I have access to a friend's shop, and all his tools (he specializes in old BMWs, but did a great job tuning my webers), so it looks like I may add this to the list.
colingreene
I am in south orange county, i may be able to help.
bandjoey
Use search here and find a lot of help. Also hop over to pelican parts and study their tech articles. U can do it. first.gif
rhodyguy
Renewing the shift linkage system is one of the most rewarding, especially for the parts costs, fixes. A new hand with basic tools and limited skills can learn this job and not pay a bunch of dough to have someone else do it. Remember, the whole process starts at the shifter. Get your feet wet, the water is fine.
Cuda911
If you want a top notch shop that will give you the best possible shifting (or any other mods/repairs to your car), I'd HIGHLY recommend Mulligan Racing Development in Vista, CA.

The owner has been racing 914s longer than most anyone, and builds 914 race cars (among other things).

It will be well worth your drive down from L.A.

I wouldn't even think of taking my cars anywhere else.

Link:

mulliganracing.com/
Maltese Falcon
If the OC is not too far, take it over to Aase Motorsports...real good with a 901 simple problem or a major fix.
Marty
EdwardBlume
Here's a link to a firewall bushing install. The guy who did it is a real loser though. av-943.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=shift&st=0

john77
Thanks guys, this is such a great forum, I really appreciate the encouragement.

Any thoughts on the Rennshift, is it a good upgrade from the stock shifter?
rhodyguy
AFTER you have everything else figured out. find out how bad a 914 doesn't have to shift first. you might need that money for something else if its deeper than the linkage. then up grade.
ConeDodger
I agree with the above suggestions, but don't expect nirvana... Grassroots Motorsports, described 914 shifting something like this - 'you'd have better luck finding second gear stirring your Cheerios in the morning.' blink.gif
mharmon
Callas Rennsport in Torrance does fantastic work- been going there for nearly 20 years....
Harpo
I highly recommend the following from 914world member racerchris who owns tangerine racing. Shift linkage kit & fire wall shift rod bearing.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm
campbellcj
I agree this is probably within your DIY capabilities, unless there is an internal problem with the transmission or clutch which you understandably may want to farm-out. Anyway, in L.A. (SFV) TLG Auto is a trustworthy and 914-friendly shop. Marco is a long-time 914 fan/owner.
Heeltoe914
Its really easy to do it yourself bring a pin an paper I will show over Lunch. You buy smile.gif

If you happen to order all the bushing before coming out I can show you how easy it is on the lift. PM me here
rhodyguy
i would take leamon up on his generous offer. save yourself a couple of c-notes.
john77
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Jun 21 2015, 09:33 AM) *

Its really easy to do it yourself bring a pin an paper I will show over Lunch. You buy smile.gif

If you happen to order all the bushing before coming out I can show you how easy it is on the lift. PM me here

Thanks so much, what a generous offer. I'll shoot you a PM.

It only got worse yesterday after AX. It was hard to get into first/reverse all day (nothing new), but then on the way home it suddenly started getting harder and harder to get into any gear unsure.gif

Hopefully, that points toward the problem being with the shift linkage/bushings rather than the transmission.
campbellcj
Wow. I know my 914 shifts better than 98% of them out there, as it's been extensively rebuilt/upgraded/sorted. But lately I've been driving my 997 a fair amount with its stellar Numeric Racing shifter with action like the proverbial rifle bolt. So yesterday I pulled-out the 914 to do some work on it and was appalled at the shift action. It almost inspires me to go back thru the 914 again and see what else I can do.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jun 22 2015, 08:38 PM) *

Wow. I know my 914 shifts better than 98% of them out there, as it's been extensively rebuilt/upgraded/sorted. But lately I've been driving my 997 a fair amount with its stellar Numeric Racing shifter with action like the proverbial rifle bolt. So yesterday I pulled-out the 914 to do some work on it and was appalled at the shift action. It almost inspires me to go back thru the 914 again and see what else I can do.

Sure, take the SKILL out of racing a 914.... first.gif
rjames
QUOTE(john77 @ Jun 22 2015, 03:09 PM) *

It only got worse yesterday after AX. It was hard to get into first/reverse all day (nothing new), but then on the way home it suddenly started getting harder and harder to get into any gear unsure.gif

Hopefully, that points toward the problem being with the shift linkage/bushings rather than the transmission.

If it's going south that quickly, I doubt it's a bushing (although they likely still need replacing). I'm still betting that the clutch just needs adjusting which is just tightening/loosening 2 bolts on the end of the cable.
If you haven't done so, get the Haynes manual, especially since you've got tools at your disposal. This is the easy stuff.
john77
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 23 2015, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(john77 @ Jun 22 2015, 03:09 PM) *

If it's going south that quickly, I doubt it's a bushing (although they likely still need replacing). I'm still betting that the clutch just needs adjusting which is just tightening/loosening 2 bolts on the end of the cable.
If you haven't done so, get the Haynes manual, especially since you've got tools at your disposal. This is the easy stuff.

I think you're right. I read through Dr Evil's excellent pdf and a lot of the symptoms are pointing toward the clutch cable. Work's a little crazy right now, but I'm hoping to get an hour to poke around under their tonight and see what's going on.
john77
Managed to finally get under the car tonight. It's a 73, but the number on the tranny case is 914.301.101.00, which unless Google is lying is a tail-shifter, so I just wanted to check what I'm dealing with. Is this tail-shifter or a tail-shifter that's been converted to a side shifter?

IPB Image

Question 2: Do I just tighten the the nut at the end of the clutch cable to adjust the clutch?

And, finally, there seems to be a bar blocking me from getting a wrench in to remove the top plug in the transmission. Is that normal, or is what I'm looking at not the top drain plug?

IPB Image

Bob L.
Something funky there...
I don't have a bar like that on mine. Or any of those brackets/links connected to it. one looks like a dipstick tube. I would inspect those bits and see if they do anything. Someone here will probably know what they are from/for.

That is the fill plug half blocked by the top of the bar. I think the drain plug is under the bar just behind the clutch cable pulley.

Always make sure you can get the fill plug open before you drain it.
Hank914
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Jun 30 2015, 10:05 AM) *

Something funky there...
I don't have a bar like that on mine. Or any of those brackets/links connected to it. one looks like a dipstick tube. I would inspect those bits and see if they do anything. Someone here will probably know what they are from/for.

That is the fill plug half blocked by the top of the bar. I think the drain plug is under the bar just behind the clutch cable pulley.

Always make sure you can get the fill plug open before you drain it.

agree.gif

Plus looks to me that you do have a side shift not a tail shift.
ChrisFoley
The bar which that covers the fill plug is part of a custom bracket to mount the -6 throttle linkage bellcrank on a non 914-6 transaxle.
john77
Thanks guys.

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 30 2015, 11:01 AM) *

The bar which that covers the fill plug is part of a custom bracket to mount the -6 throttle linkage bellcrank on a non 914-6 transaxle.

Chris, have you dealt with one before? Looking at it it doesn't look like that big a job to remove it so I can change the tranny oil, just undo a few nuts and pull the throttle linkage to one side.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(john77 @ Jun 30 2015, 02:35 PM) *

Thanks guys.

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 30 2015, 11:01 AM) *

Chris, have you dealt with one before? Looking at it it doesn't look like that big a job to remove it so I can change the tranny oil, just undo a few nuts and pull the throttle linkage to one side.

I haven't seen one of those brackets in my shop yet, but what you have in mind to do is what I would do.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(john77 @ Jun 30 2015, 12:35 PM) *

While you have that "bar" off - notch it so you can get to the top plug next time.
Bob L.
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 30 2015, 03:38 PM) *

While you have that "bar" off - notch it so you can get to the top plug next time.

If you don't have a -6 , you could probably just take it off and leave it off.
It's just weight.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Jun 30 2015, 05:37 PM) *

It's just weight.

Maybe you didn't notice the headers in his pics.
Bob L.
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 30 2015, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Jun 30 2015, 05:37 PM) *

It's just weight.

Maybe you didn't notice the headers in his pics.

No "maybe" about it. I missed them.
Heeltoe914
The bar was made to allow you to have the linkage mounted to operate the linkage that runs up to your carbs or injection. If its been working clean it up and go as mentioned notch it for that fill plug.
The bushing look warn, and I do not see the 6mm cone head screw coming out from where the shift linkage bars end connects something is going on right their???
rhodyguy
Plan on doing your bushings. They look like they've been in service for a while. Shake the rear bar just forward of the console. How much does it move around in the bushing?
john77
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 30 2015, 01:38 PM) *

Great idea, thanks.
john77
Which bushings are we talking about? smile.gif The car was built in 2008, but didn't see that much action until I bought it 18 months ago. The more I poke around under it it seems like pretty much every single bushing on it needs replacing.

Seriously though, do you mean the shift linkage bushings or the tranny mount bushings?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(john77 @ Jul 1 2015, 12:56 PM) *

Which bushings are we talking about? smile.gif The car was built in 2008, but didn't see that much action until I bought it 18 months ago. The more I poke around under it it seems like pretty much every single bushing on it needs replacing.

Seriously though, do you mean the shift linkage bushings or the tranny mount bushings?

I'm pretty sure he meant the shift bushings since that's the main topic.
You should check the tranny mounts too though.
Sometimes the rubber is badly age cracked, but at least the design won't allow the assembly to fall apart if the rubber does fail.
Steve
On top of checking the bushings, check the shift coupler. It's at the firewall under the rubber cover. There are two bushings in the coupler that turn to plastic over the years and disintegrate.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 1 2015, 01:38 PM) *

On top of checking the bushings, check the shift coupler. It's at the firewall under the rubber cover. There are two bushings in the coupler that turn to plastic over the years and disintegrate.

He'll be replacing that coupler with a u-joint in a week or so.
Thanks for the order John! smile.gif
Steve
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 1 2015, 12:05 PM) *

Nice!!!! Love your products Chris!! Your 915/916 adapter works great and saved me tons of time with adjustments.
john77
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 1 2015, 12:05 PM) *

beerchug.gif
Chris Pincetich
The Rennshifter is great, but stiff. Best as the "last" upgrade. Worth it! beerchug.gif

After I replaced shift rod bushings, I fixed lots more slop by changing the transaxle mount bushings. They were cracked and almost falling apart, and you couldn't see the cracked rubber until you had them off and in your hand. WEVO makes a nice upgrade beerchug.gif
driving.gif
john77
QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Jul 1 2015, 12:34 PM) *

The Rennshifter is great, but stiff. Best as the "last" upgrade. Worth it! beerchug.gif

After I replaced shift rod bushings, I fixed lots more slop by changing the transaxle mount bushings. They were cracked and almost falling apart, and you couldn't see the cracked rubber until you had them off and in your hand. WEVO makes a nice upgrade beerchug.gif
driving.gif

Thanks Chris. I just finished reading the tech article on the bird about this and from the symptoms it does sound like my tranny mounts, and possibly also my engine mounts, could do with replacing. Not really confident this is a job I can do myself though.
campbellcj
QUOTE(john77 @ Jul 1 2015, 02:10 PM) *

Thanks Chris. I just finished reading the tech article on the bird about this and from the symptoms it does sound like my tranny mounts, and possibly also my engine mounts, could do with replacing. Not really confident this is a job I can do myself though.

Trans mounts are a very easy DIY. Engine mounts are not quite as quick/easy but also totally DIY-able. Same with the Rennshifter which is a very nice upgrade once everything else is sorted out properly. The damn linkage bushings might be the most frustrating bits truthfully. And you definitely should check/replace your clutch cable "while you're in there" and that is also one of the least-fun jobs on a 914 but again, DIY-able without much wrenching experience.
john77
[/quote]
Trans mounts are a very easy DIY. Engine mounts are not quite as quick/easy but also totally DIY-able. Same with the Rennshifter which is a very nice upgrade once everything else is sorted out properly. The damn linkage bushings might be the most frustrating bits truthfully. And you definitely should check/replace your clutch cable "while you're in there" and that is also one of the least-fun jobs on a 914 but again, DIY-able without much wrenching experience.
[/quote]

I tightened and 'double-nutted' the clutch cable today. Immediately helped the shifting, and reverse stopped grinding, but first is still doing it if I try to shift into it too quickly.

I changed the tranny oil too and put in new Swepco 201. No idea how long it had been in there, but it had a really funny smell, looked like engine oil, and had a goldish foam on top of it.

As soon as they come I'll be swapping out the mounts and fitting the new linkage and firewall bushing.
Its best to learn the basics on your shifter questions. If you had to take car in for every little concerned.
This 914 owner ship will turn upside-down really quick.
Labor rate for a 914 is the same as a 991.
Good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.