Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914/Subaru svx build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mepstein
Parts acquisition
mepstein
Harness - brain surgery
Big thanks to Kevin today for helping me remove the harness.
mepstein
My mechanic pulled the engine
mepstein
Next step is remove the roll cage and get it up on 4 wheels.
Mueller
Nice....now to stop reading your threads....I don't need anymore distractions! hahaha
mepstein
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 25 2015, 01:48 PM) *

Nice....now to stop reading your threads....I don't need anymore distractions! hahaha

I received the hubs - thanks!
Almost too pretty for the "budget build"

Chris H.
Nice work pulling the harness complete. Are you doing the wiring conversion yourself? PM me before you start if so. I also have some SVX manuals and other info (might have already sent it to you).

mepstein
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 25 2015, 02:13 PM) *

Nice work pulling the harness complete. Are you doing the wiring conversion yourself? PM me before you start if so. I also have some SVX manuals and other info (might have already sent it to you).

I looked at the smallcar booklet and it was completely overwhelming. So one step at a time. I will remove the tape and plastic and then go from there. Maybe I can trade Wire harness conversion for parts or money.
Chris H.
Oh you picked up the smallcar directions? idea.gif wouldn't mind having a gander at that...

They do harnesses for $700 and only if you don't cut any wires beforehand. Sounds outrageous but it takes a LONG time the first time you do it yourself.

Really though, a lot of the wires for the ECU stay where they are. Relatively few are cut as a percentage. You just change the power circuit, starter circuit, etc.

I found some videos that helped me, including this series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnDlYqHDthU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HderShN-dc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayxEfRvhLEE

There are more, so watch all of them that pertain to you and you'll get more confidence. He's doing an Impreza swap, but you want to use the ECU as a standalone as well to control just the engine, not swap out the entire 914 harness for the SVX one.

Also have a lot of supplemental info I can send if you PM me your e-mail address.
914forme
aktion035.gif Lets get to rocking, Im guessing we could have a race going on for completion. lol-2.gif I think you'll most likely be driving before I will. I still have flares to weld on.

BTW, whats with the cage, them welds look like barf.gif If it is a full SCCA spec cage, I know some one who was looking to pickup a 914 cage. PM me if you want me to get ahold of them.
914forme
Wow Chris those videos make me glad I'm doing PEFI, lol I don't have a genius wiring dog.
Chris H.
Yeah the first vid is a bit cheesy but it explains the reason he's paring down 80% of the harness, which is what we do. Could have been about 1:30 shorter biggrin.gif .
Andyrew
Awesome!!
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 25 2015, 08:06 PM) *

aktion035.gif Lets get to rocking, Im guessing we could have a race going on for completion. lol-2.gif I think you'll most likely be driving before I will. I still have flares to weld on.

BTW, whats with the cage, them welds look like barf.gif If it is a full SCCA spec cage, I know some one who was looking to pickup a 914 cage. PM me if you want me to get ahold of them.

Here's the link to the previous build. http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?show...=212085&hl=

I don't want the cage but it and some other ugly mods allowed me to get the car cheap enough that once some nice brake and suspension parts were sold, the tub cost $0.00
Since the engine shelf was removed and the trunk bulkhead was hacked out, this car is perfect for a suby conversion. I don't plan to save the cage. It will be cut out and scrapped. I appreciate any and all helpful advise.
mepstein
Since I have these trailing arms I'm guessing I should use the 911 parking brakes.
mepstein
T struts and M calipers. Not pretty but functional from a 911 that upgraded to S calipers.
911 front suspension with elephant bushings came with the car.
mepstein
Using 911 e brake so I bought these from tangerine racing. Seems to be the least hassle solution (just the adapters, using my own trailing arms)
mepstein
So I need a trans. Can anyone help me find the right trans for sale. Not just type but an actual trans for sale so I can just purchase and drive home. I'm around Newark, DE 19711 so anything within about a 2 hour drive would be great. Needs to be a 5mt that will hold up to the 6 cylinder eg33. Thanks!

*I would really like it complete with clutch, flywheel, trans stubs, ect.
76-914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 27 2015, 06:44 PM) *

So I need a trans. Can anyone help me find the right trans for sale. Not just type but an actual trans for sale so I can just purchase and drive home. I'm around Newark, DE 19711 so anything within about a 2 hour drive would be great. Needs to be a 5mt that will hold up to the 6 cylinder eg33. Thanks!

Go back and read Chris' or my build thread. Pretty sure all the clutch/tranny info you'll need is there. The TY75 MT5 comes with 4:11's or 3:9's. The 3:9's will give you better hi way gearing.
Cairo94507
Mark - How do you keep track of which car you are working on? confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 28 2015, 12:09 PM) *

Mark - How do you keep track of which car you are working on? confused24.gif

There's more than one? I told my wife I'm building up the red car. confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 28 2015, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 27 2015, 06:44 PM) *

Go back and read Chris' or my build thread. Pretty sure all the clutch/tranny info you'll need is there. The TY75 MT5 comes with 4:11's or 3:9's. The 3:9's will give you better hi way gearing.

I don't want to find the right trans, I want you guys to find it for me so I can buy it. Really.
mepstein
Zach found me a trans. Picked it up last night. Thank you Vatican Rabbit.
mepstein
A little controversy, or not.
strawman
I'm using the transaxle out of a U.S. 1998 Forester into which I've fitted an OBX helical gear limited slip differential. Haven't had it up to highway speeds, so I can't provide opinions. In fact, I haven't yet had it past second gear...

Good luck with your project!
nsyr
I have had a fwd subaru trans in my now svx powered 914 for about 9 years. It uses a push type clutch but the stock clutch is strong enough for n/a applications. And it does not need to be converted from awd.
mepstein
more stuff
mepstein
Back on the suby build
I sent out the wire harness to get done. It's almost ready.
Timothy is making some stock looking gauges that will work with the suby sensors.
76-914
I don't know why you'd "farm out" that harness? wacko.gif JK. It's about time you got back on the conversion. Those projects can bury themselves if you let them sit too long. beerchug.gif Kent
mepstein
If I didn't farm it out, it wouldn't get done. The 3.2 conversion is almost on the road so I'd like to start working on suby assembly soon.

Oh, I get it. JK. biggrin.gif
flmont
Whom,..May I asked did u send it out too,..smallcar,..??? Thanks Frank
mepstein
QUOTE(flmont @ Jun 27 2016, 10:31 PM) *

Whom,..May I asked did u send it out too,..smallcar,..??? Thanks Frank

A guy on the samba. He's done quite a few and seems very responsive and easy to work with. Asked me questions how I was using the engine, where ecu was going, how I wanted fans to work. Much more than smallcar- fill out the form and send us the money. I think he's also about $150 less than smallcar but that really wasn't how I chose him. There's so much to do on a suby conversion that I wanted as much help and support as I could get.

He mostly worked with the vanagon guys. Here's some of his info - www.facebook.com/jeffrobenolt

www.AutoVenturesLLC.net
mepstein
Here's the harness all done and ready to ship. Jeff labels all the wires and makes it as plug and play as possible. He asked me where and which direction each wire should go and set up the controller for the radiator fans. He told me I'm welcome to call with questions when I get around to putting it all together.
flmont
Who did your harness,..?? if I may ask
flmont
Sorry,..I just scrolled up,..Jezz.. Thanks
flmont
Sorry,..I just scrolled up,..Jezz.. Thanks
mepstein
I don't want to be known as the guy to where 914 projects go to die. So... Making plans to send this car off to get built by one of the members on this site. He will do engine, trans, mechanicals and get the car running and then I will work on interior and paint. I have to make it a roller and then deliver it around march. At least that's the working plan for now. Details to follow. driving.gif
76-914
That harness looks nice. Who and where is the car going? Build plans???? Any specific's?? beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 5 2017, 11:13 AM) *

That harness looks nice. Who and where is the car going? Build plans???? Any specific's?? beerchug.gif

The plan is to put it together with all the parts already purchased. I'll let the builder talk about his plans when he's ready.
914forme
Glad to see this one getting finished up this spring
76-914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 5 2017, 08:33 AM) *

The plan is to put it together with all the parts already purchased. I'll let the builder talk about his plans when he's ready.

I should have looked at the title. headbang.gif So let's see; how may have running/completed 3.3 conversions? Chris H. & Bob (aka BIGKAT83), who recently retired, BTW. shades.gif Who am I forgetting? idea.gif biggrin.gif
flmont
Mines not completed yet,..But I do have all major componets required,..just got to assemble everything,..???
mepstein
I still need a radiator and fuel pump but I'll leave the builder to pick the parts he likes. First step is to get it running, then make it pretty with a hardtop and a/c.
914forme
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 5 2017, 06:46 PM) *

I should have looked at the title. headbang.gif So let's see; how may have running/completed 3.3 conversions? Chris H. & Bob (aka BIGKAT83), who recently retired, BTW. shades.gif Who am I forgetting? idea.gif biggrin.gif

bye1.gif
914forme
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 5 2017, 07:57 PM) *

I still need a radiator and fuel pump but I'll leave the builder to pick the parts he likes. First step is to get it running, then make it pretty with a hardtop and a/c.

That stuff is easy, the hardtop and a/C blink.gif headbang.gif wacko.gif icon8.gif hissyfit.gif confused24.gif huh.gif dry.gif
76-914
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 5 2017, 06:27 PM) *

bye1.gif

I didn't know you had gotten yours running. Sorry Stephen.
76-914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 5 2017, 04:57 PM) *

Ahaa. Scotty first.gif
914forme
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 5 2017, 10:09 PM) *

bye1.gif

fired in car the old fashioned way, fogging the engine with fuel. So it does not really count just yet., dry.gif
76-914
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 5 2017, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 5 2017, 10:09 PM) *

bye1.gif

fired in car the old fashioned way, fogging the engine with fuel. So it does not really count just yet., dry.gif

A wink is as good as a nod. beerchug.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 5 2017, 04:46 PM) *

I do the work as I can - I thought it was more important to learn how to walk again...
The doc says I'm good for skiing this year though so that's big news. Just gotta get the muscles talked into it. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.