Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best 914s of all time?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
stevegm
We are writing a story for the magazine about the top 914s of all time. Maybe it will be a Top 10. Maybe a Top 20. Either way we want to include the best of the best. Street. Race. Original. Whatever.

Nominations anybody?

Please include as much information as possible. If it is a 914world member's car, their username would be helpful. Anything we can use to contact the owner.
sb914
popcorn[1].gif
nein14
Ok how about Evil Ed who built the CSI Turbo GT that's still going strong after 13 years driving.gif
BIGKAT_83
Here you go the Kinesis 914
Click to view attachment
johannes
Top what ?

Value, power, originality, mileage ?
mepstein
Make sure you put Marty/ Maltese falcon on the list with his turbo 930/935 engined 914
stevegm
QUOTE(johannes @ Aug 5 2015, 09:22 AM) *

Top what ?

Value, power, originality, mileage ?

It's an open definition. However you define the best of the best.
iwanta914-6
I would think the 1970 LeMans 6th place overall and class winner 914/6 GT would have to be in consideration. Certainly one of the most famous anyway.

IPB Image
Chris H.
The best 914...EVER, EVER... idea.gif

Click to view attachment

AndyB
That's an easy one the 914's made between MY 1970-1976 but then again I might be biased.
MJHanna
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 5 2015, 08:41 AM) *

Click to view attachment

What Fuchs are those? deeps 6's?? or 5.5 ? or ???

PS. The best 914 ever is the one I'm working on now. Cuz its mine. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Chris Pincetich
I'd nominate the Brumos #59 race car beerchug.gif
And perhaps, maybe, kinda sorta, Auto Atlanta's blue 916 biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Look like deep 6's to me. confused24.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 5 2015, 06:30 AM) *

Make sure you put Marty/ Maltese falcon on the list with his turbo 930/935 engined 914

Thank you Mark for the kind words smile.gif
I was in touch with Les Bidrawn (formerly of European Car) and we chatted about the good old pre -internet days. Anyway my six was voted one of their top 5 engineered rides. Les is freelancing now and I'm still trying to locate Greg Brown .
LeMans #40 is definitely my choice in the group .
Marty

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 5 2015, 09:41 AM) *

Click to view attachment

agree.gif blows away everything else. The ultimate sleeper 914
iwanta914-6
Is that the 914/8 at the Porsche Museum?
Alphaogre
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 5 2015, 06:34 AM) *

I would think the 1970 LeMans 6th place overall and class winner 914/6 GT would have to be in consideration. Certainly one of the most famous anyway.

IPB Image

This one won its class the first year right? I would also throw in the Targa Florio 914 as well. I think it also won its class.

Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
It's one of them...the most stock looking of the two.

I'd nominate:
- both of the factory /8 cars
- any of the 916s
- any of the 914/6 GT cars
- Marty's turbo monster
- whatever your personal car is...because it's the most important one in each of our worlds.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Aug 5 2015, 06:18 AM) *

Here you go the Kinesis 914
Click to view attachment

These GUYS...
Karl K (black cap) and yours truly (white cap) at Monterey '99.
Wonder where the Kinesis car went?
We met Hurley Haywood, Hans Stuck, George Follmer, David Donahue and Oläf Lange that weekend.
Hopefully they will all be at Renn 5 this September biggrin.gif
Marty
72 IXXIV
Yes--the '70 LeMans class winner is probably the greatest of all time.

Though, the twin cam flat eight prototypes that the porsche family drove for a while are pretty awesome--with the double pop up headlights!

I recently read that when groupe B started up, and Porsche began work on what would become the 959, the first idea they had was to copy what Lancia did with the 037--take a central tub and weld tubular subframes on the front and back of it. And they were going to revive the 914 to do it! But selling 911s and building more AWD capability won out.

That would have been a pretty bitchin' 914 as well..
Luke M
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 5 2015, 08:56 AM) *

Sure looks like it. I saw it in person 3 years ago.
Took pics of it too .
Johny Blackstain
I think these would be the top 5:
mepstein
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 5 2015, 11:56 AM) *

Yes drooley.gif
iwanta914-6
I'll be in Munich (for Oktoberfest) in a little over a month. I should make the drive out to Stuttgart so I can see the 914/8 in person.
stevegm
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 5 2015, 01:58 PM) *

I think these would be the top 5:

I tend to agree that these 5 would have to be in just about anybody's list. On a different topic - if anyone is interested in writing a short article on the history of any of these 5 cars, PM me. We'd love to have it for an upcoming issue of the magazine.
JeffBowlsby
Here are three more to consider:

JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 5 2015, 06:41 AM) *

Click to view attachment

How come we don't see any tribute cars to this one? Lots of GT tributes, but none of this one.
stevegm
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 5 2015, 03:44 PM) *

Here are three more to consider:

Thanks. Can you send me anymore info on these cars? The first one is the other 914-8, correct?
stevegm
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 5 2015, 03:49 PM) *

Click to view attachment

How come we don't see any tribute cars to this one? Lots of GT tributes, but none of this one.

Dare I suggest - could it be the silver? Not as striking as the bright colors on many tribute cars. I considered doing our silver 914 as a tribute car to this one. But, haven't fully decided. I am sorta partial to some other ideas I have for it.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(stevegm @ Aug 5 2015, 12:53 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Dare I suggest - could it be the silver? Not as striking as the bright colors on many tribute cars. I considered doing our silver 914 as a tribute car to this one. But, haven't fully decided. I am sorta partial to some other ideas I have for it.

Got a spare flat-8 to poke into it? This car could not have greater provenance.
JmuRiz
Even w/o the flat 8, it's a good looking car:
Ovoid front cooler opening
Gas fuller door in hood
Non-removable top with sunroof
Body colored lower panels

Does anyone know if it has R-offset wheels in the back, I would think they would want that extra width to put the power down.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 5 2015, 03:03 PM) *

Got a spare flat-8 to poke into it? This car could not have greater provenance.

Doesn't everyone have a $90K motor laying around to shove into a 914?
eric9144
The #2 car from the set of three marathon cars was "the one" that did it for me as a kid...I remember getting hold of a Panorama with that on the cover and instantly fell in love

Most of those seem like the obvious choices, I'd still put Marty's car up there too, has been a thing of legend for a long time beerchug.gif
warpig
Can you wait a couple of years for this? confused24.gif
My GT isn't done yet. av-943.gif
matthepcat
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 5 2015, 12:20 PM) *

I'll be in Munich (for Oktoberfest) in a little over a month. I should make the drive out to Stuttgart so I can see the 914/8 in person.

^^ I will be there in September too for Octoberfest ^^

I have a tour of the plant and museum booked for the 22nd. Really looking forward to it.
thieuster
Nice suggestions! It should be a Top 14, off course. May I suggest this one:

IPB Image

In Dutch National Police livery. This car did his duty on our national highways - I still remember the car passing us on the highway! Fellow (Dutch) forum member Arno Wienands can tell you more about the history and whereabouts of the car.

Menno
mepstein

Click to view attachment

I had planned to do one without the flat 8 but ended up with a flared shell. I am still looking for a car to do the tribute. Cosmetic only, no way am I in a position to do the engine.
stevegm
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 5 2015, 05:49 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I had planned to do one without the flat 8 but ended up with a flared shell. I am still looking for a car to do the tribute. Cosmetic only, no way am I in a position to do the engine.

I have a spotless (almost) silver '72 if you want to do a tribute car. :-) I have a 2 car garage, and 3 cars. One will have to go eventually.
stevegm
QUOTE(thieuster @ Aug 5 2015, 05:42 PM) *

Nice suggestions! It should be a Top 14, off course. May I suggest this one:

IPB Image

In Dutch National Police livery. This car did his duty on our national highways - I still remember the car passing us on the highway! Fellow (Dutch) forum member Arno Wienands can tell you more about the history and whereabouts of the car.

Menno

You are right - it should be 14. But, we will need a lot more nominations.
Johny Blackstain
I don't know if this teener is worthy, but that is Playmate of the Year Cyndi Wood biggrin.gif
Alphaogre
I have been for fortunate enough to see that one run... I say you go with the top 10 scenarios that the 914 under dog beat big boar guys!

Click to view attachment
Rand
As far as street cars go, I'd have to suggest considering Paul Sayegh's 3.6. It is immaculate and has all the right upgrades in all the right places under the skin. I can't imagine any way to improve on it. His build was featured across a bunch of Excellence mag issues. I think his board name is PRS914-6

IPB Image
stevegm
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 5 2015, 06:45 PM) *

As far as street cars go, I'd have to suggest considering Paul Sayegh's 3.6. It is immaculate and has all the right upgrades in all the right places under the skin. I can't imagine any way to improve on it. His build was featured across a bunch of Excellence mag issues. I think his board name is PRS914-6

IPB Image

Good call. That is a nice one. I'd love to see more street cars included.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(stevegm @ Aug 5 2015, 01:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I have a spotless (almost) silver '72 if you want to do a tribute car. :-) I have a 2 car garage, and 3 cars. One will have to go eventually.

Lift is an easy fix, if you have the height, you only need 10' to stack 914s
stevegm
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 5 2015, 08:00 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Aug 5 2015, 01:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Lift is an easy fix, if you have the height, you only need 10' to stack 914s

I've considered it. But, in a 2 car garage a lift really affects my workspace. What I really need is a bigger garage.
URY914
There are only 2 914's that have been class champions in a race series as far as I know.

Walt Mass in 1976 with his IMSA GTU 914 and the Brumos #59 in 1972.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Race wins are one thing but you string enough wins and points to win a series and it a much bigger accomplishment.

MoveQik
I agree with others....you have to include the /8! It's everything the 914 should have been.

dlkawashima
The one that's now at Canepa ...

IPB Image
72 IXXIV
I thought that the 914-8 had double headlights...
KELTY360
I'd nominate the humble little '73 1.7 named Buttercup. Not only does it represent the essence of the 914 concept, but it also represents the best of the 914 community and the way the cars and the people are connected.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.