Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't USE 3M 77 For Roll Bar Vinyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I put the roll bar pieces on Monday using 3M 77 Multipurpose Glue. Car has been in garage the whole time. Peeling off as we speak. You can run you hand along the side and the material begins to bubble up Tried to show it in the pictures.

Now to start all over headbang.gif
Mueller
The 90 stuff works better, but I've used the 77 on my speakers in my garage and they have held up fine....did you spray both sides and let get tacky before attaching?
euro911
I haven't had good luck with '77' either. Glued the top parts of the door panels over the window lips and the targa top pad ... they held up for about a week dry.gif
914Sixer
Yes, I took the time to read the directions. Made sure it was tacky. I NOW remember Mark (914 Rubber) saying something about it was NOT an ideal glue for this application.
76-914
agree.gif Haven't used it in years. Find a auto upholstery supply and but whatever they sell.
bahnzai
Wow, I wish I had know this earlier too. Spent the better part of a day doing that install. Guess we will see how that holds up now...doh!
Porschef
Ouch, that's unfortunate. I ended up using 90 when I redid mine about a year and a half or so ago, and haven't had a problem. I had it on hand and would have used the 77, thinking it might be overkill.

In retrospect I should have peeled the old vinyl and painted the sail panels to match the car. I like the look better... dry.gif
ConeDodger
77 not made for getting hot. Sunlight will reactivate adhesive. sad.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 30 2015, 05:52 AM) *

77 not made for getting hot. Sunlight will deactivate adhesive. sad.gif

agree.gif agree.gif

Going on its loose too. I used the can as a roller and rolled the air out. You might get a few happy years out of the 77 if you stay on it as it dries...
puffinator
I used 3M 80 and it worked out fine. I also tried 3M 74 and 77 and was not pleased with either.
Shadowfax
I'm planning on using DAP Weldwood contact cement. Used it on a BMW E30 headliner a few years back and it worked better than the spray adhesives I tried initially.
stinkindiesel
I had a similar experience with a VW Golf headliner and 3M 77. Lasted about 6 months before it started to come loose again. At the time I did it, 77 was what everybody else was using, but Texas summers tend to break down adhesives faster...

Gary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.