Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spring leftover after changing the pistons rings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
b.stirbu
Hi guys,

Unfortunately, I'm left with a spring after I changed the pistons rings on my 1.7 engine.....
the spring is not from the valves, not from the rockers arms..I'm not sure where it belongs to..I couldn't find it in any drawing..

The diameter of the coin is 24.25 mm/0.95 in

I'm a bit afraid that I might ruin something in my engine..
Geezer914
Rocker arm shaft spring.Click to view attachment
b.stirbu
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Aug 30 2015, 04:57 PM) *

Rocker arm shaft spring.

Can't be...
The diameter or the rocker arm shaft is 20 mm (.765 in) the spring is at least twice that size...
Dave_Darling
You said 25mm diameter for the spring, which is a lot less than twice 20mm.

Regardless, that's what it looks like. I think it's too big to be for any of the oil pressure control/relief pistons, and it is way way too large to be for the cooling flaps. Not sure what else it could be offhand.

--DD
b.stirbu
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 31 2015, 12:33 AM) *

You said 25mm diameter for the spring, which is a lot less than twice 20mm.

Regardless, that's what it looks like. I think it's too big to be for any of the oil pressure control/relief pistons, and it is way way too large to be for the cooling flaps. Not sure what else it could be offhand.

--DD

Hi Dave, I said the coin size is 25mm. The spring is almost twice the size of the coin..
TheCabinetmaker
I'm with DD. Looks like a rocker spacer spring to me.

I'll measure one this morning and report back.
Mark Henry
If it's not a rocker spring it somehow snuck into your parts box, there is nothing else in a T4 engine that looks like that.

springs in a T4:

Shroud air flap, dizzy and two oil control springs are all smaller.
Valve springs are heavier.
Rocker shaft spring is around that size.
Everything else springy are things like piston clips, pushrod tube spring wire and valve cover bail spring, obviously not.
stugray
It actually looks exactly like a couple of springs that came in my 99 Chevy Suburban auto-trans rebuild kit.

Rebuild any transmissions lately?
TheCabinetmaker
Stock rocker spring measures 21mm inside. Relaxed height is 36mm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.