Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muellers Honda V6 914 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Mueller
Greeting Earthlings!

Got my 1st of many 914's back in '96 or so...'75 with a bad 1.8, installed new motor, drove it for a while and took apart...sold or cut it up, I don't remember...I've repeated that process about 4 times. Then finally in '07 I sold my last 914 along with my trailer and sold or gave away almost everything I had Porsche related except for a few small models and tee shirts. If you look at my member number, I have been around for a long time...I even have a "Smilie" MDB2.gif

At the beginning of '15 I mentioned to a co-worker I'd like another 914 and we made a deal for his in which I was able to make payments and I paid it off last week. ($200 a month for a grand total of $2000)

The car:

1973 which originally had a 1.7 in it. The PO installed a 2.0 bus motor with megaquirt on it and drove it for a few years and parked it about 4 years ago due to no more compression in cylinder #3.

I knew the car had some engine compartment rust in the hell hole, but it is worse that I thought it had, but I still think I got an okay deal on the car considering I was able to make payments and I knew the history of the car before I even considered buying it.

5x130mm redrilled /4 hubs with extra long studs up front with slide on spacer and bolt on 5x130 to 5x130 bolt on spacer in the back, not keen on either end.

Plans:

Install 1.8 motor I picked up from McMark after I fix a few broken exhaust studs (not Marks fault)

Redo all suspension bushings and possibly the shocks (I think it has KYB's)

Undecided on the wheels, now it has 16x7 53mm offset Phonedials with 205/50/16s.

Fix hell hole.

Fix up the interior.

Do "something" with the turn signals front and back, I don't like 'em screwy.gif

Body needs some straightening and paint for sure. I might toss the green Porsche decal(s) for nothing at all or a different color.

Below are pictures as the car sits across the street. Why across the street and not at my house? Well, I made a deal with the wife that my on going 6 year project car will be driving before I bring the 914 home, that will happen once I install the entire front suspension, install a wiring harness and finish building the engine and install that also.

So possibly before the end of the year the 914 will be home!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
Picture of me and my twins, I told them we'll take another picture of them next year at the same time.

Oh yea, my 1.8 motor underneath the wheels and tires that belong on the Volvo 242 I should be working on!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Thanks for the inspiration everyone and the vendors!
JeffBowlsby
You know Mike, that's a lot of 914 for 2 bills, should clean up nice. Get that 1.8L in there running on the MS after the peripheral repairs.

Thought about losing the JC Whitney mirrors?
Mueller
To be honest with you, I couldn't have told you if those are stock or aftermarket mirrors...been out of touch for so long wink.gif
shoguneagle
Mike, I like the car you purchased and as Jeff says, "it will clean up nicely". It has been a while but once you put your head back into the 914 you will be right at home again. You are too much of a high quality "machinist/frustrated engineer" to not get back into stride. If you need any equipment or whatever, just let me know. I do have a mig welder which I can lend you, as an example. This can be done without any time constraints.

I do remember you helped me with software, etc. when I need info and knowledge.

Glad you are back in full swing.

Steve
Krieger
Looks like a great project! See if you can get the girls involved.
ConeDodger
A build-off challenge might be just what you need to keep focused Mike! biggrin.gif
OllieG
Hi Mike,

Did you ever own a white, later sprayed metallic blue, original 6 with fibreglass flares? Bought it in around 2004 in Las Vegas...I sold it since but I'm almost certain it had 'Mike Mueller' on the Title.

Cheers, Ollie.
A&P Mech
Looks like a great starting point. I can't wait to watch the progress.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 1 2015, 10:42 PM) *

Well, I made a deal with the wife that my on going 6 year project car will be driving before I bring the 914 home, that will happen once I install the entire front suspension, install a wiring harness and finish building the engine and install that also.

So possibly before the end of the year the 914 will be home!

So let get this straight.. You have another project car to finish before you start on this??

You really are a glutton for punishment..

Good luck Looks like a good car to start with..

tdgray
I think I'm getting old (okay I know I am)...isn't a 73 supposed to have a 1.7 not a 1.8? confused24.gif

Maybe I've been '14-less for too long and don't remember correctly
Mueller
QUOTE(tdgray @ Oct 2 2015, 07:51 AM) *

I think I'm getting old (okay I know I am)...isn't a 73 supposed to have a 1.7 not a 1.8? confused24.gif

You are correct...my bad...I fixed that!

Yep, need to finish the other project 1st..at least get it driving which reminds me to call the machine shop and see if my crankshaft can just be polished or does it have to be turned down to fix the scratches on the journals sad.gif

I did in fact own an original blue /6 with flares for a few weeks. I bought it and then sold it to BradR, he dumped a bunch of time and some money into it and ended up selling it for the same price I sold it to him for. I thought it went to Germany? I should have kept it! Oh well...lots of things I should have, could have done, hahaha
Andyrew
You gonna put roller bearings in the suspension? smile.gif
OllieG
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 2 2015, 05:10 PM) *

QUOTE(tdgray @ Oct 2 2015, 07:51 AM) *

You are correct...my bad...I fixed that!

Yep, need to finish the other project 1st..at least get it driving which reminds me to call the machine shop and see if my crankshaft can just be polished or does it have to be turned down to fix the scratches on the journals sad.gif

I did in fact own an original blue /6 with flares for a few weeks. I bought it and then sold it to BradR, he dumped a bunch of time and some money into it and ended up selling it for the same price I sold it to him for. I thought it went to Germany? I should have kept it! Oh well...lots of things I should have, could have done, hahaha

Yep, that's it - I remember a Brad had worked on it. I got it from Steve Hill in Vegas. I keep telling myself I should've kept it too! I shipped it to Germany when I moved from Seattle to a new job in Nuremberg, Germany (although I'm British and now back in the UK now). Last I heard the car's owned by a German car dealer I believe in Ulm near Munich. I guess life is full of 'if onlys'...ah well, onwards and upwards. I have 2 914s now, a driving 6 conversion and a project 6 conversion.

Here's a link for old times sake...

Blue 914/6

Good luck with your latest project!

Ollie. smile.gif
EdwardBlume
Let me know when you need a hand or a part. Love to help.
EdwardBlume
Shouldn't your daughters have cats in their hands?
madmax914
So Mike was the motor built by McMark? What internals are lurking in there? Looks like an awesome build, can't wait to watch the progress!

Mueller
QUOTE(madmax914 @ Oct 2 2015, 11:27 AM) *

So Mike was the motor built by McMark? What internals are lurking in there? Looks like an awesome build, can't wait to watch the progress!

Nope, supposedly built by HPH, no idea what was done to it. I was told the PO kept chasing fuel injection problems and out of desperation bought a complete running 2.0 to throw in there.

The motor looks great, all powder coated parts, the screws that hold the sheet metal on look brand spanking new. I'll pop off the heads to get the broken studs fixed and do a quick inspection.

914forme
Say Grasshopper wub.gif God luck Mike, and yes it needs to have roller bearings, and vented 4 bolt fronts.

Not doing that would be like me not putting in a 904 gauge or a quad gauge.

Subaru, Subaru, Subaru, Eg33 EG33 EG33 happy11.gif you know you want to. Oaky I am done, build it as the 1.7, or it could be a 1.8L as HPH could have done anything they wanted. Short stroke bigger bore type-IV are a great motor.
matthepcat
I vote you do the custom drilled bolt pattern for the wheels!!
Johny Blackstain
Mike- I agree w/ the gang; go for the grasshopper look!
Here is the photo you asked for of my car w/ my Mahle rims fitted with Dunlop SP Sport 195/65HR15s. I have no clearance issues at all & my speedo/odometer is spot on with this tire size.
Mueller
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 2 2015, 01:53 PM) *

Mike- I agree w/ the gang; go for the grasshopper look!
Here is the photo you asked for of my car w/ my Mahle rims fitted with Dunlop SP Sport 195/65HR15s. I have no clearance issues at all & my speedo/odometer is spot on with this tire size.

thanks....those do look great!

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Oct 2 2015, 01:27 PM) *

I vote you do the custom drilled bolt pattern for the wheels!!

^Stop feeding the voices in my head, hahaha
Mueller
Still in the hunting and gathering stages of the build.....

Picked this up tonight...$200 for low mileage '03 Passat gear box....more or less the same transmission as used in the base Boxsters, just at 1/3 the price smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Dang that's almost junkyard cheap. You gonna look for an engine to bolt that to or use your Type 4? KEP will make any adapter but it will cost some dough. 2.8 is a nice engine if you like v6's. Almost went that way myself.
Andyrew
Nice!
76-914
Which power plant you going with??
Mueller
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 13 2015, 06:48 AM) *

Which power plant you going with??

My 1.7 while I save up for the engine I really want....
76-914
Turbo that puppy. McMarks pulled pretty good.
Mueller
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 13 2015, 02:27 PM) *

I might go that route, I have an extra 13c from my Volvo build that wouldn't be too bad on this 1.7...might be better choices but this one is paid for smile.gif

Playing on the computer tonight, overlay aircooled (green) on the Audi gearbox bell housing.

Need a 914 transmission so I can see where the starter mounts and see where to move it or clock it relative to the input shaft.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 13 2015, 09:58 PM) *

I might go that route, I have an extra 13c from my Volvo build that wouldn't be too bad on this 1.7...might be better choices but this one is paid for smile.gif

Playing on the computer tonight, overlay aircooled (green) on the Audi gearbox bell housing.

Need a 914 transmission so I can see where the starter mounts and see where to move it or clock it relative to the input shaft.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I have an old tail shifter case you can have but I'm a few hundred miles south of you. Yours if you can arrange transportation.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 13 2015, 09:58 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Did you get that cad drawing from somewhere or did you make it somehow?

Your engineering skills continue to amaze me... Glad your back smile.gif
Mueller
I found a drawing online that has the bolt hole locations and I imported it in and manually traced the outline. I will add the holes later on.

That was drawn using Geomagic, it used to be called Alibre...a poor man's version of Solidworks.
Mueller
No physical progress...just virtual progress smile.gif

Ordered a 964/993 starter gear and friction surface for the aluminum flywheel I'll be making to adapt my motor to the Boxster transmission.

I should be getting the pressure plate and clutch next week and will model those up as well.

I just made these based on some dimensions I found online and will correct them once I get the parts in hand. I know the teeth are off for sure. Still researching starters.....

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Andyrew
Ya... Thats awesome...

I would love to employ your services to help me with my wheel speed sensors...

How are you going to cut that adapter?
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 24 2015, 12:28 PM) *

Ya... Thats awesome...

If the plate fits my mill, I'll use that..if not I have a co-worker with a bigger mill in his garage that can cut it out.

First I need to install the new motion contoller on the BP mill....need to learn some C++ 1st for the interface...

My old tower PC with Win98 finally bit the dust (I could replace the capacitors on the motorboard)

So I bought this $150 Dell mini-PC you see in the middle running Win8.1 and boards on the left is an 8 axis motion controller (only using 4 axis right now, XYZ and rotary table)

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 25 2015, 12:10 PM) *

Ya... Thats awesome...

If the plate fits my mill, I'll use that..if not I have a co-worker with a bigger mill in his garage that can cut it out.

First I need to install the new motion contoller on the BP mill....need to learn some C++ 1st for the interface...

My old tower PC with Win98 finally bit the dust (I could replace the capacitors on the motorboard)

So I bought this $150 Dell mini-PC you see in the middle running Win8.1 and boards on the left is an 8 axis motion controller (only using 4 axis right now, XYZ and rotary table)

Click to view attachment

Nice! What CNC mill do you have? Can you mill steel or only aluminum?
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 25 2015, 01:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 25 2015, 12:10 PM) *

Ya... Thats awesome...

Click to view attachment

Nice! What CNC mill do you have? Can you mill steel or only aluminum?

Early 1970's Bridgeport knee mill, currently steppers (open loop) , soon to be servo driven (closed loop)

I can mill steel, it just takes longer due to having to go slower with the feds and speeds.
trojanhorsepower
I like the little computer, where did you get it? What kind of A V IO's dose it have?
Mueller
Best Buy, I'd bet you can find them cheaper on Amazon but it was one of those I gotta have it now moments..hahaha

HDMI and DisplayPort for video output.

Came with wireless mouse and keyboard and Wifi (will be going with cable keyboard and mouse when I have it connected to my mill, a little safer that way)
trojanhorsepower
Cool. Does it have mic and headphone/speaker ports?
Mueller
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Oct 25 2015, 05:34 PM) *

Headphone/speaker port only.

I like the solid state drive, we've been replacing disc HDD at work with solid state drives and even a few older machines with SD cards running the OS
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 25 2015, 06:50 PM) *

I like the solid state drive, we've been replacing disc HDD at work with solid state drives and even a few older machines with SD cards running the OS

SSD's rock when running the OS smile.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 25 2015, 09:59 PM) *

Just wait til you see what's coming up next. Would you like an SSD that fits your laptop and gives you 3.5TB? We're making them and they should be available within the year- none of this is classified btw!
madmax914
confused24.gif This computer conversation is making my brain hurt.

Can't wait to see the transmission in your car!
Andyrew
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 25 2015, 09:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 25 2015, 09:59 PM) *

Just wait til you see what's coming up next. Would you like an SSD that fits your laptop and gives you 3.5TB? We're making them and they should be available within the year- none of this is classified btw!

I would hate to have to buy that... dry.gif

I remember when the SSD's were coming out in decent sizes a few years ago.. $500 bucks was insane!

I much prefer to have the OS around 100gb (40 for the OS and the rest for Office, adobe, ect ect) then have a couple of 3 TB HD's running RAID for storage.
Chris914n6
LA Dismantling had a booth at SEMA. Technically a new 911 but I think it's the same holes.

Click to view attachment
Mueller
Update per request by Jeff....

Nada, nothing done to 914 unless you count me getting caught by the wife web surfing for possible new rims for a car that doesn't run! No, I really don't plan on buying any new rims...just killing some time and dreaming.
Mueller
My update for sake of doing an update....

0 progress on the 914, working on a 14'x8'x8' playhouse for my girls, it is keeping me too busy.

Playhouse is almost finished, just in time for me gone for 2 weeks for vacation!

I fully expect to be at or near the bottom of the list and I'm okay with that....I have not thrown in the towel and given up yet!
r_towle
Update?
Mueller
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 30 2016, 10:39 PM) *

Update?

No real progress unfortunately, I did score some major brownie points with the wife by knocking out projects the last few weekends for her and my daughters.

I told her there is a VW - Porsche car show on the 1st weekend of August that I want to go to with the 914, so the car will be coming home in the next week or so for me to start working on it.

Time to start ordering parts for it, 1st on the list is all new fuel lines and rear brake lines for sure. Car has not run in about 4 years so lots of work to do.

I'll need to replace a few broken exhaust studs as well on the replacement motor, hope that goes better than the time I drilled into the combustion chamber!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.