Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New trick for securing grill letters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
About five years ago The engine grill was powder coated. It must not have been a good job because when I removed it to paint the engine lid I discovered rust spots inside. After sanding down and repainting the grill I added the gold letters. Ace hardware had a rubber bushing the same ID. but a hair smaller OD. I added a thin coat of black adhesive pushed it on with a small socket, and it worked. The hardest part was in converting the mm spacing into inches. Who would own a metric ruler over 12" happy11.gif long anyway.
Cuda911
Looks good!
era vulgaris
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 7 2015, 12:46 AM) *

Who would own a metric ruler over 12"

It's called a meter stick biggrin.gif
http://www.amazon.com/Westcott-Wooden-Mete...9/dp/B000J0ARWW

Looks like your "C" is one notch higher than the rest.
EdwardBlume
Looks like you spelled it right! lol-2.gif
GeorgeRud
You can pick up a meter stick at Harbor Freight. It has both the metric and inch markings.

But, why would anyone want to use inches when the metric measurements are so much easier to use? biggrin.gif
bandjoey
I have a yard stick, tri-square, 2 carpenter squares, 3 tape rules, a dozen 12"ers, and a sewing cloth tape...what red blooded man in Texas has a meter stick? So converting I went. Nothing like calling out "Make that 18 2/32". sawzall-smiley.gif
thieuster
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 7 2015, 10:15 PM) *

I have a yard stick, tri-square, 2 carpenter squares, 3 tape rules, a dozen 12"ers, and a sewing cloth tape...what red blooded man in Texas has a meter stick? So converting I went. Nothing like calling out "Make that 18 2/32". sawzall-smiley.gif

We Europeans can provide you with meter sticks, with inches on the back. Plastic, wood, paper etc. No problem! Most are around $ 9.00. I am more than happy to help you purchase one of these and send it to you.

Menno
bandjoey
My gun hand is shaking just thinking about owning one. beerchug.gif
era vulgaris
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 7 2015, 02:20 PM) *

But, why would anyone want to use inches when the metric measurements are so much easier to use? biggrin.gif

I say this everyday when I'm designing in CAD. I have the option to use inches in my design program, but who the hell wants to think about all those fractions. It's just dumb. Small increments of 10 makes my job easier! biggrin.gif
And what are you gonna do when you need to move something 0.35mm? Try figuring out that fraction in standard measure!
theleschyouknow
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Oct 7 2015, 05:03 PM) *

I say this everyday when I'm designing in CAD. I have the option to use inches in my design program, but who the hell wants to think about all those fractions. It's just dumb. Small increments of 10 makes my job easier! biggrin.gif
And what are you gonna do when you need to move something 0.35mm? Try figuring out that fraction in standard measure!

0.35 x 0.03937 = 0.0137795
if you're converting that small might as well use thousandths
don't get me wrong I got no problem with metric but conversion is just a math problem you gotta work with what you got which sometimes takes a few extra grey cells
beerchug.gif
cjl
Mark Henry
Doesn't matter to me, metric or standard I can work in both.
My paper trade is cabinetmaker, 90% time I use standard, I machine a lot of parts working in both.

I'm good with fractions, thousandths, etc.
Metric is by far way easier, it's all in 10's, 100's 1000's, etc

Conversion...that's what google is for biggrin.gif
era vulgaris
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Oct 7 2015, 07:17 PM) *

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Oct 7 2015, 05:03 PM) *

0.35 x 0.03937 = 0.0137795
if you're converting that small might as well use thousandths
don't get me wrong I got no problem with metric but conversion is just a math problem you gotta work with what you got which sometimes takes a few extra grey cells
beerchug.gif
cjl

Right, but it's much easier to quantify 0.35 vs 0.0137795. Halfway between .3 and .4 mm, or...how much of an inch is that exactly???? Especially when working with minutiae length distances while zoomed in to god knows how many times X in a CAD program. Next time you're designing circuit boards, let me know which one you choose.
Truth bomb. Mic drop. Peace out.
bigkensteele
Anyone who can google can find out why we aren't using the metric system today. The answer is political, so I can't explain it here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.