Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relay Board Sealant
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stinkindiesel
I'm finally getting around to doing some cleanup work on the 1.7L, and I've got a bunch of questions. I'll try to keep it to one question per post to avoid confusion.

I've got three relay boards in various states of decline, and would really like to get one cleaned up for use. I can certainly ohm out all the connections, but that won't always catch any intermittent opens. Ideally, I'd just remove the black potting compound from the bottom and solder the connections. Anyone have any experience removing the old sealant? Is there some chemical that will soften it without destroying the rest of the board, or do I just have to chip the old stuff off?

Gary
914_teener
Yep.....put it in a oil drain pan with gasoline....it will come right off. I finished it in the nooks and crannies with a stiff plastic brush.
stinkindiesel
Thanks, guys. Just what I needed. I'm shocked gasoline is all it takes, but the easier the better. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Gary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.