Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front mount oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rtalich
Trying to decide what cooler to go with and I know there is a TON of information here. But I could not find anything about whether or not to go with a single pass or double pass. Or does it really matter that much?

Thanks,
Rob
scotty b
spend the money and get the one from Patrick motorsports. It is a GT style cooler made specifically to fit the 914. I have tried others and none IMHO are worth the extra hassle just to save a couple hundred bucks.

Harpo
Hopefully scotty b is referring to the first one

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/fro...-911-rs-914-gt/ - $480

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/fro...-911-rs-914-gt/ - $640
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Harpo @ Oct 7 2015, 06:20 PM) *

Both links come up $485 for me confused24.gif

Looks a lot like a RX-7 cooler, but even if you get an RX-7 cooler cheap you have to cut off the end and get it welded up with ends like on the patrick cooler.
Plus you have to hack up the front of the trunk, add a GT shroud, run oil lines, thermostat...not a cheap job.
wndsrfr
There's a thread or post about the RX-7 coolers somewhere here.....shows how the end was cut off to remove the VERY restrictive "turbulators" from inside the tubes & then welded back on. This is absolutely necessary IMO.
I used one of the unmodified RX-7 coolers on my /4 and was surprised at the oil pressure drop on a 35 degree day when the thermostat opened with cold Brad Penn 20/50 in the system. It took maybe 10 seconds and that's a loooong time at 60mph for the pressure to recover back above maybe 10psi when it had been running like 50psi just before the t'stat opened.
Sooo...if considering the RX7 unit, do the modification, after which you should be good to go. BTW--you can get a local hydraulics shop to make up the oil lines to connect to the RX7 banjo fittings unless you have AN fittings welded on in place of them....which is prolly the best idea.

rtalich
Thanks for all the replies guys. I am all about doing things right and not cutting corners to try and save a few dollars... with that said I was actually looking at the Patricks stuff and am leaning towards them. The question I had pertains to the different style coolers. They have a single pass and a double pass unit. I was really trying to see if anyone had any experience with how they perform. Single vs double pass.
Krieger
Why don't you call Jim Patrick at PMS and see what he thinks? He is a nice guy. I just ordered more parts from him on Monday.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rtalich @ Oct 7 2015, 09:22 PM) *

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am all about doing things right and not cutting corners to try and save a few dollars... with that said I was actually looking at the Patricks stuff and am leaning towards them. The question I had pertains to the different style coolers. They have a single pass and a double pass unit. I was really trying to see if anyone had any experience with how they perform. Single vs double pass.

I would think single pass would have better flow.
Also wouldn't double pass be almost heating the oil as it returns?

stugray
Another option not mentioned above is dual coolers.
One in the space below each headlight bucket.
Mine pull air in from the foglight vents and vent out to the wheel well.

Headlights could still be functional and a full sized spare can still fit in the frunk.
rtalich
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 8 2015, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(rtalich @ Oct 7 2015, 09:22 PM) *

I would think single pass would have better flow.
Also wouldn't double pass be almost heating the oil as it returns?

Exactly what I was thinking too. But wanted to see if anyone had any actual experience. Seems like running the oil thru twice while, simultaneously, hot oil is coming in... it's not really doing anything. Seems like you'd be defeating the purpose if you think about it.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(stugray @ Oct 8 2015, 08:56 AM) *

Headlights could still be functional and a full sized spare can still fit in the frunk.

Absolutely. I love your install on this. I think it would work well enough for a big-4 (mine will be a 2270) and it might even work well enough with the foglights still installed.
Steve
I tried the RX7 cooler with the GT shroud. You would still have to cut up the shroud to make it fit. I also ended using the PMS setrab cooler. Fits perfectly.
VWTortuga336
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Oct 8 2015, 01:58 PM) *

Absolutely. I love your install on this. I think it would work well enough for a big-4 (mine will be a 2270) and it might even work well enough with the foglights still installed.

agree.gif I'm building a 2366 and this sounds like an awesome setup. Stu, do you have a thread on this?

On a side note, I love the first line of your signature. I'm an engineer, and your quote couldn't be more right beerchug.gif
boxsterfan
QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Oct 8 2015, 05:28 PM) *

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Oct 8 2015, 01:58 PM) *

agree.gif I'm building a 2366 and this sounds like an awesome setup. Stu, do you have a thread on this?

On a side note, I love the first line of your signature. I'm an engineer, and your quote couldn't be more right beerchug.gif

I think it is here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...6102&st=160

Near the end. There are some other's with dual oil cooler mounted behind foglight area....but they don't have the foglights in and have the standard grill. The most important part was building the exit for airflow behind the cooler in the wheel well.
rtalich
Decided to go with the GT center mount from PMS.
Cairo94507
Good choice - I went with the PMS cooler for my Six. How are you getting the air in and out?
rtalich
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 15 2015, 06:18 PM) *

Good choice - I went with the PMS cooler for my Six. How are you getting the air in and out?

The conventional way.
Cairo94507
OK....so big ass scoop on the hood?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 16 2015, 12:31 AM) *

OK....so big ass scoop on the hood?

I wouldn't call a big ass scoop on the hood the conventional way.
There's a GT shroud in the picture.
Cairo94507
I know; I saw the shroud. I was just playing with him.
McMark
av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.