Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock rebuild or go 2056 with D-Jet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
I'm rebuilding my engine this winter. My original plan was to stay pretty much stock (including pistons & cylinders). My cam shows signs of wear on the lobes, so it needs to be replaced, along with new lifters. Piston rings are shot but P & C's are in spec. Heads will be rebuilt & all new bearings installed.

I'm sticking with D-jet and ordered a new wiring harness from Bowlsby. What I really love about my current setup with the stock 2.0 D-jet is the drivability and the overall lack of tinkering required to keep it going. I don't need a fire-breathing type 4 and don't want to mess around with external oil coolers & other add-ons because of heat concerns.

This is a case of "while your in there." With the engine already torn down and for slightly more $$$ I'm considering building a 2056 with a slightly more aggressive (d-jet compatible) cam.

My question is, what additional work is required to make D-jet work on a 2056 with a more aggressive cam. Is it just tweaking the MPS? Do I need to buy or install an air fuel meter? To someone who's been down this road, is it worth it?

Thanks!
r_towle
it would require tuning the MPS and using an Air/Fuel meter, while driving or on a dyno is really the best way to do this. Your conditions and elevation matter, so its best to do this one on the car....

A hotter camshaft will make it idle worse, that is the result.

Rich
Tom_T
Bob -

Another choice wouldd be to go with the 8.0:1 Euro P&Cs & D-jet - IIRC the same Cam, so replace to a stock cam.

Porsche stated they were 100 HP in Euro vs. 95 HP USA, but both of those numbers were conservative in reality, plus you can tweak it up a bit more with some MPS tweaks & a few other tricks.

Rich Bontemi at HPH in Redwood City & some of the other old school stock /4 racers can explain it better than I. Rich also recco's lightening the flywheel for faster response.

I know folks with both Euro 2L P&Cs & 2056 with D-jet who are satisfied.

McMark knows the 2056 inside & out, so PM him at Original Customs for that side..

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mark Henry
The WEB FI cam works OK.
You have to search for OE P&C'c or if you have a real good used set you can hone and re-ring them. Avoid VW Bus pistons and if you do find an euro piston set they will likely be spendy.
There is nothing wrong with using the KB pistons and bored cylinders (96mm), It won't mess the D-jet much.
I personally don't care for the AA P&C kits.

I'd at least try to borrow a O2 WB meter, but they have come down to less than $200.
saigon71
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 10 2016, 02:13 PM) *

The WEB FI cam works OK.
You have to search for OE P&C'c or if you have a real good used set you can hone and re-ring them. Avoid VW Bus pistons and if you do find an euro piston set they will likely be spendy.
There is nothing wrong with using the KB pistons and bored cylinders (96mm), It won't mess the D-jet much.
I personally don't care for the AA P&C kits.

I'd at least try to borrow a O2 WB meter, but they have come down to less than $200.

Thanks Mark.

Maybe a 2056 with a stock cam would be the answer...would it require any MPS tweaking?
StratPlayer
I'm running a stock cam with a 2056..OEM cylinders bored out, keith black pistons and hastings rings. No mps tweek, the car runs great. Had the engine rebuilt at PMB. No complaints about the engine. idle's great.
BeatNavy
Bob - I'm running 2056 with stock cam as well. I futzed with the MPS for a while and pretty much ended up back at stock settings. I'm not sure it's really "optimized," but it runs and idles great.
jsayre914
DO IT BOB !!!!
Mblizzard
While it is a modest increase in displacement remember the old saying.

The only thing that beats cubic inches is cubic dollars.

I am running a 2056 on stock cam and slight adjustments on MPS and fuel pressure.

Well worth the effort.
boxsterfan
2056. The 2.0L Porsche should have built back then.
914dave
Bob
I ran a 2056 with Web's injection cam (mild upgrade) and the 2056 with the stock injection. It ran well and acted civilized in normal traffic. The guy I sold it to is still running it. Watch out for the "while I'm in there", that can lead down a long dark road! hehe
Dave
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(914dave @ Feb 11 2016, 06:18 AM) *

Bob
I ran a 2056 with Web's injection cam (mild upgrade) and the 2056 with the stock injection. It ran well and acted civilized in normal traffic. The guy I sold it to is still running it. Watch out for the "while I'm in there", that can lead down a long dark road! hehe
Dave

Bob, did you stick with the stock 7.6:1 CR? Wondering if a slight bump to 8.0:1 (like Euro models) or even 8.5:1 would have any negative effect. Are the Euro D-Jet systems the same? (injectors, pulse width etc...)?
saigon71
Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it!

After consulting with Aircooled Racing, Dion and Dave this is the route I'm going:

2056 (flat top pistons)
Lightened flywheel
FAT 440MP camshaft

I'm excited about this combo with the D-jet & hope it's a nice compromise of drivability and increased performance.

On paper, the FAT 440MP appears to "split the difference" in lift between the stock cam and the Web 73.

Here is the advertised grind for the 440MP:

Intake: .413 lift, 258 duration
Exhaust: .405 lift, 270 duration

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.