Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My slow-paced, mundane progress thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
RoadGlue
Welcome to my scattered 1974 1.8 Chrome Yellow project thread.

I purchased the car back in '05'sh. One of the POs had converted it to a well sorted 2.0 D-Jet autocross/street car. It was complete but a bit ratty with a tired motor. Great Koni Sport suspension with a fat solid sway bar and adjustable drop links. Otherwise bone stock.

Built a fresh 2.0 with a 9550 Raby Cam and kept it D-Jet. Ran a DE Event at Thunderhill, a few auto-x's at the Sonoma County airport and otherwise used the car as my DD. During this time, around 2007, early 2008 I picked up a very clean Marathon Blue '74 2.0 from Doug Wright. I ended up putting the new motor from the yellow 914 in the Blue car in 2008 and it's sat in my garage since.

Here it was as of a few weekends ago:

Click to view attachment

So what's happening?

My friend and machinist is currently building a 1911 from the ground up. Opened up 1.8 heads, rebuilt dual 40 IDFs (thanks George, @thepaintedman here on the World), Elgin cam, etc. I'll post motor specs in a different post.

Purchased Chris's SS tunnel fuel line replacement kit w/ pump. Need install that in the next few weeks.

Sourced a rear bumper from GMS and am currently repairing some issues it has and then move onto the front bumper and rocker panels.

I need to go through the brakes.

Should probably check the tank closely for rust issues.

Need to replace the heater pull cables.

Need Mark D's modified speedo drive with the extra o-ring, or source a nosecone that doesn't have a worn out drive hole.

Already purchased rain caps for the carb's as I also purchased Sergio's GT lid clone.

Need to strip and paint the Mahles unless I source different wheels.

I have a mostly complete 5-lug setup (including rear hubs and s-calipers), but I'm saving that project for later.

Still reading? I'm sorry.

Anyways, plenty of photos coming and I'll keep this thread updated as I make progress.

Cheers,
RoadGlue
Parts including the tank, HE's, Triad Exhaust, 901, etc etc.

Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
Already have the clip's from Mark @ 914 rubber to fix that sorry looking side marker light. :-)
Coondog
Looks like a good plan....... smile.gif
RoadGlue
Here's the interior. I have a nearly perfect seat that I'll put in place of the driver's seat. I'll swap rails and move the driver's set to the passenger side.

Click to view attachment

Carpet will be replaced with German weave from Mark @ 914 rubber. Already have his newly rebuilt visors from the group buy.
RoadGlue
Question: What color carpet would look good? I never did care for black. Gray perhaps? I'm interested in your feedback. I'm colorblind and have a hard time making these types of choices.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Coondog @ Mar 16 2016, 04:29 PM) *

Looks like a good plan....... smile.gif

Now I just need to execute!
RoadGlue
1911 as of a few days ago. My machinist got bronchitis so the motor project stalled for a few weeks.

Click to view attachment

280D/332L/180deg Elgin Cam:

Click to view attachment
r_towle
so it has sat for 8 years?
I dont feel as bad now....I think you take the lead.

rich
RoadGlue
Rear bumper sourced from IL and it must have come from a rust bucket as two of the rear bolts were snapped in place and poorly drilled out. Thankfully they coaxed out and tapping proved to do the trick.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

smash.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 16 2016, 04:47 PM) *

rich

Yeah, but I was DD'ing another 914 while it sat up until two or three years ago when I sold that car. ;-)

It took me a while to get the bug again. Now I'm dreaming about the car almost nightly. Really bizarre.

You just have to get out there and start on something. See where that leads.

Good luck!
r_towle
I am driving a 911 cab...that is what makes me do something else.

HoneyDoo list...
Boat....
lay on the couch...

Rich
RoadGlue
One annoyance... I can't find the f'ing ignition key so the wheel is locked. The wheels are turned so I can push/pull the car in/out of the garage, but that's not going to work for long. I have what I need to replace the ign switch and key, but I really would prefer to just find the key. I feel like I've looked everywhere, but it didn't just walk off.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 16 2016, 04:53 PM) *

I am driving a 911 cab...that is what makes me do something else.

HoneyDoo list...
Boat....
lay on the couch...

Rich

Yeah! I do hear 'ya. For me it's been photography, HoneyDoo as we got married just three years ago, motorcycle, video games, work, home projects, petting the cats, eating, sleeping... Prioritizing is a hard thing to do.

While I felt a certain about of inner guilt about the 914 sitting around I also knew I'd know when the timing was right. I think that time simply doesn't happen for a lot of people.
RoadGlue
My friend and machinist is back from the dead after getting bronchitis and is back to work on the motor. Cam's in:

Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
One more:

Click to view attachment
r_towle
there is a guy who shows up at Hershey and makes keys for Porsches.
He has all th eight blanks.

I bet he knows how to make you a key that will work based upon some number, possibly the vin, or something else.

Hopefully one of the guys who remembers his name will chime in, and you can give him a call.

Did you look under the seat, glove box, trunk, under center console?

After my last fiasco of loosing a key, which I did eventually find, I went out and had spares of everything made, and I put ALL of them in a special place....and use the daily keys...
Now I know I have q backup.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 22 2016, 01:57 PM) *

there is a guy who shows up at Hershey and makes keys for Porsches.
He has all th eight blanks.

I bet he knows how to make you a key that will work based upon some number, possibly the vin, or something else.

Hopefully one of the guys who remembers his name will chime in, and you can give him a call.

Did you look under the seat, glove box, trunk, under center console?

After my last fiasco of loosing a key, which I did eventually find, I went out and had spares of everything made, and I put ALL of them in a special place....and use the daily keys...
Now I know I have q backup.

The key had been changed to a VW beetle setup sometime ago, so I don't think there's an easy solution.

I'm pretty sure I have/had a spare too. Sigh. I'm not the most organized person.

I'll keep digging. It's probably in my office/studio.
r_towle
If you have a dent puller you can insert a deep threaded sheet metal screw into the lack cylinder and rip it out.....not pretty but it does work.

Obviously you will need to redo everything once that is completed.
rhodyguy
Look into a mobile locksmith. They use softer metal blank, wiggle it in the ignition which leaves indentations that allow the correct key to be cut. Then you can at least unlock the wheel. I had to have this done when my car was boosted from the garage and recovered with no key. Expect the process to run a C-note.
Mueller
Hi Randy, great to see you working on the 914 again, hopefully this summer we can both be driving 914s again for a Roadglue meet!
RoadGlue
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 23 2016, 06:32 AM) *

Look into a mobile locksmith. They use softer metal blank, wiggle it in the ignition which leaves indentations that allow the correct key to be cut. Then you can at least unlock the wheel. I had to have this done when my car was boosted from the garage and recovered with no key. Expect the process to run a C-note.

Thanks! Hopefully I can find the key, but this is great to know as it may come down to having to do something like this.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 23 2016, 07:12 AM) *

Hi Randy, great to see you working on the 914 again, hopefully this summer we can both be driving 914s again for a Roadglue meet!

I'd like nothing more Mike! Just like old times, except that we're older. :-)
RoadGlue
Listed two cams for sale in the classifieds this morning as I was dicking around with other ideas before I settled on the current Elgin cam. Hurry and get yours before they're sold out!
ThePaintedMan
smilie_pokal.gif So happy for you Randy! This car is gonna be a ton of fun when you're done.
RoadGlue
Thanks George! Can't wait. It's been much too long.
RoadGlue
Spent a portion of Easter Sunday in the garage cleaning the fuel tank area and installing CFR's SS fuel line.

Dirty!
Click to view attachment

Suck
Click to view attachment

Clean
Click to view attachment

Kit:
Click to view attachment

Progress:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
Not pleased with the amount of rust I've found in the center tunnel. Is there anyway I can treat this now so that it doesn't worsen without having to pull the wiring harness?

Click to view attachment
McMark
Keep water out. Without moisture, the rust will stay just like that.
r_towle
go to Eastwood and get the rust conversion stuff, with the spray wand (long one)

Then you can spray in the converter, let that sit for a while.
Once that is done, I would personally spray in a top coat of whatever you want...

Rich
RoadGlue
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 28 2016, 01:31 PM) *

Keep water out. Without moisture, the rust will stay just like that.

Wondering how water got in originally. Maybe have been a DPO thing. Car's been in the garage almost the entire time I've had it. Hmmm..

Thanks!
RoadGlue
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 28 2016, 01:39 PM) *

go to Eastwood and get the rust conversion stuff, with the spray wand (long one)

Then you can spray in the converter, let that sit for a while.
Once that is done, I would personally spray in a top coat of whatever you want...

Rich

Good idea. Have no idea how I'd get a topcoat on though. Wonder if the conversion products would be hard on the wiring as it's going to come into contact with whatever I try to spray in there.

wacko.gif
RoadGlue
This looks like it might work for the center tunnel:

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coa...ray-nozzle.html
r_towle
Use a similar spray want to blow paint in there.

I hav never seen a tunnel that was not rusted.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 28 2016, 07:27 PM) *

Use a similar spray want to blow paint in there.

I hav never seen a tunnel that was not rusted.

Thanks for your help Rich.

I'll order that product. I think I'll wrap/protect the exposed areas of the harness the best I can and all will be fine. I'm thinking glow in the dark paint for a top coat! :-) Ok, maybe just bright white.

idea.gif
RoadGlue
It's here, and it's beautiful.

Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
Question:

What's a good inline fuel pressure gauge that I can mount in the engine compartment? 0-10 lbs range or thereabouts for a dual 40 IDF system.

In other news, spent many hours degressing engine tin, cooling shroud, body work on bumpers, killing rust, painting engine bits.

Stuff's coming together. Feels great!
rhodyguy
If you use Mar-Hyde to convert, no top coat required or needed.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 4 2016, 12:21 PM) *

If you use Mar-Hyde to convert, no top coat required or needed.

Thanks, but I've already purchased the Eastwood product. ;-)
gms
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Mar 16 2016, 06:49 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 16 2016, 04:47 PM) *

rich

Yeah, but I was DD'ing another 914 while it sat up until two or three years ago when I sold that car. ;-)

It took me a while to get the bug again. Now I'm dreaming about the car almost nightly. Really bizarre.

You just have to get out there and start on something. See where that leads.

Good luck!

Is that when we did the paint job in the engine compartment
wow that is 8 years ago now already isn't it
RoadGlue
QUOTE(gms @ Apr 4 2016, 03:07 PM) *

Is that when we did the paint job in the engine compartment
wow that is 8 years ago now already isn't it

Yeah, our handy work lives on! I half thought about repainting the engine bay, but it's good enough for now. I really need to have the sheet metal replaced behind the passenger seat as it has a few holes still (they were there eight years ago) from the the firewall pad.

Learning to do my own body work too, but no immediate plans to paint the car.

You'll have to come back out and not almost crash it again on the freeway in the middle of the night. :-) (It wasn't your fault!)
RoadGlue
Selling my Triad exhaust or looking for a trade (plus maybe a few bucks) for a used Bursch 2.0 exhaust. I'd like to chop the stock Bursch muffler and have an exhaust shop attach something a bit rasper.

Ad is here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry2326385
RoadGlue
Just a quick update.

Lots of blasting yesterday (not everything is pictured).

Still working on the bumpers, but they're further along than what's pictured now. ;-)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
Have zinc phosphate primer w/ silver wheel paint for the cooling shroud. Should be a-okay. All the sheet metal will be headed out for PC soon.
RoadGlue
Cleaned up and refinished the 4-Lug Mahles this weekend. I need to take a better final shot. Turned out pretty good though I didn't take care of any of the scratches. They'll look great from a few feet back, which is all I'm going for.

I need to take a conical wire brush on a drill and strip the paint carefully away from the lug holes. I blanked on taping them.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
smilie_pokal.gif

Bless you Randy for stripping those wheels. I HATE using aircraft stripper, especially on the nooks and crannies of wheels.

Looking good dood!
r_towle
How does your back feel?
Lots of stripping, nice job.
Krieger
Looking good! beer3.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 11 2016, 05:41 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Bless you Randy for stripping those wheels. I HATE using aircraft stripper, especially on the nooks and crannies of wheels.

Looking good dood!

Luckily only one wheel was painted. Nasty stuff! Took three applications to get it loose enough to scrape/blast off.

The Mahles are pretty straight forward though and I didn't do any masking on the face. :-)
RoadGlue
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 11 2016, 05:42 PM) *

How does your back feel?
Lots of stripping, nice job.

I sit in front of a computer waaaay too much. So... Es ist die gute Art von Schmerzen!

smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.