Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electronic longevity
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
I have many relays, sensors and electrical parts from various 914 parts cars.

My question is if these test out as being good, are they ok to use? Just asking if it might be better to buy new stuff rather than use 40year old electronics that would fail soon after being put back to use.

Any thoughts or experience with this would be appreciated .

Thank you

Amphicar770
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 30 2016, 11:27 PM) *

I have many relays, sensors and electrical parts from various 914 parts cars.

My question is if these test out as being good, are they ok to use? Just asking if it might be better to buy new stuff rather than use 40year old electronics that would fail soon after being put back to use.

Any thoughts or experience with this would be appreciated .

Thank you

A lot depends on how and where they were stored. Rust is bad especially on things like electromechanical relays.

If it is something really hard to get to or critical to safety you may want to go with new. Otherwise, probably fine to use them.
Mikey914
Yes, used parts can fail, but they are "solid state", so test them, and carry some spares.
mepstein
Buy a pack of red, white and blue fuses from the eBay vendor that sells 20 of each + free ship for $10. Replace them all including the ones on the relay board in the engine compartment. Keep the extras in the glove box. You can't go wrong with new fuses vs old.
Gunn1
I am not as worried about the solid state stuff as I am the relays, switches, motors.

How robust is some of this stuff? Sure it tests out on the bench and works now but after
It's installed back in the car and heats up wondering about the failure rate.

Thanks
Geezer914
I would use them and carry spares. Hell, even new parts fail.
Mike Bellis
The quality of the old relays is better than new ones. Just carry spares.

The "solid state" only applies to the ECU and a couple other items (tach, flasher relay, etc.). The biggest issue for this stuff is capacitor failure. The caps can dry out over time and fail.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.