Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GB- 914-6 plastic steering wheel cover at dash correct for 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mikey914
Greg, or one of the 6 owner may be nice enough to post a pick. From the consensus these need to be made. I can and will do so, really need about 40 folks that need these at $36 to make these pencil out. If we can even get close I'll do these.
mepstein
I'll take 3
Zimms
I'll take 1
altitude411
I'm in for one smilie_pokal.gif
Luke M
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 23 2016, 08:11 AM) *

Greg, or one of the 6 owner may be nice enough to post a pick. From the consensus these need to be made. I can and will do so, really need about 40 folks that need these at $36 to make these pencil out. If we can even get close I'll do these.

Here's pics of the ones off of my org 6.

Larmo63
I'll take two sets.
altitude411
confused24.gif Whoops. I guess I misread... I thought we were talking about the steering wheel clam shells.
SirAndy
QUOTE(altitude411 @ May 23 2016, 04:07 PM) *

confused24.gif Whoops. I guess I misread... I thought we were talking about the steering wheel clam shells.

agree.gif
mepstein
Me too but I'm still in for a couple.
McMark
Definitely in. I have NOS clam shells you can scan if you want. wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ May 23 2016, 05:24 PM) *
I have NOS clam shells you can scan if you want. wink.gif

Yes, we need those!
piratenanner.gif
ConeDodger
I'd be in for this and the clam shells!
banananose914
In for two sets. Thanks
relentless
Steering wheel cover? Steering column cover? What is this? And how much will it devalue an original six? lol
porschetub
a real hard part ,I see the outfit called Dr George,that girl,Lionel Atlanta whatever has them av-943.gif ,expensive and don't look great,think they even say that the fits not great.
Now just get those late relay box covers going Mark.
SixerJ
I'm in for a set of clamshells and eyebrows - well whatever Mike decides he's going to make to do with six column really

Biggles started this http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=284863 WTB thread for an OEM set of clamshells with unsurprisingly no takers

Mike within 48 hours has kindly stepped up like the superb vendor he is pray.gif now that is what I call customer service response beerchug.gif

Spread the word and let's make this happen as these parts are really needed for those that want to go the whole hog with a six column conversion or those like me who have missing bits
Biggles
Maybe the title of this thread is a little confusing as it's the plastic 'clam shell' covers around the steering column. Anyway, I've attached a couple of photos of what we're referring to, taken from Armando's excellent reference site on pbase.

echocanyons
Count me in for a set
gcrotvik
I'm in for 2 sets.
Steve
I'll take a set.
913B
I am in for 2 set
db9146
I'll take a set, please!

Mikey914
Looks like this is going to happen. I'm awaiting sample parts to start on these. I can do the clam shells too, and more than likely the graphics that can be a sepotate part for those that need them too.
Biggles
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 24 2016, 08:34 PM) *

Looks like this is going to happen. I'm awaiting sample parts to start on these. I can do the clam shells too, and more than likely the graphics that can be a sepotate part for those that need them too.

Great news Mike - the power of the internet strikes again !

McMark seems like he has offered his NOS clam shell covers for scanning.

scotty b
I'll take 2 beerchug.gif
McMark
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 24 2016, 03:34 PM) *

The emblems/icons on either side are sticker which are already available. Although I haven't ordered any yet to see what sort of quality. Actually, I need a set for this 69 911 project, so I'll find some and see.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ May 24 2016, 01:42 PM) *
The emblems/icons on either side are sticker which are already available. Although I haven't ordered any yet to see what sort of quality. Actually, I need a set for this 69 911 project, so I'll find some and see.

I bought a set of the stickers from Sierra Madre. I haven't used them yet but they look nice enough.

If i remember correctly, there a slight differences and the SM ones are not 100% correct for a 914-6, which i don't care about much.
smile.gif
mharmon
i'm in for a set
gcrotvik
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 24 2016, 01:49 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ May 24 2016, 01:42 PM) *

I bought a set of the stickers from Sierra Madre. I haven't used them yet but they look nice enough.

If i remember correctly, there a slight differences and the SM ones are not 100% correct for a 914-6, which i don't care about much.
smile.gif

Aase Sales has them also: http://www.aasesales.com/collections/porsc...-m66-09g-103985

Nutter965
I'm In for a set to please !!!
SixerJ
Mike just following up your PM, yes I'm in for one complete set (clamshells that go around the column / switches and eyebrow cover thingys that close the gap between the clamshells and the metal dash frame structure).

At the moment we are all acting like 6 year olds on a sugar rush at the excitement of these parts and you may want to clarify exactly which bit's your are proposing to remanufacture and at what price point i.e. Eyebrow's or Clamshells for $36

Either way I'm in for everything w00t.gif

Ref stickers I bought some a while back from Aase at the same time as a six wiper switch. They seems good quality and better quality than the ones I have now, which is exactly zero

How many are in so far for, err, some plastic stuff. I make it 23?
Mikey914
I was initailly looking at the sourrounds. Not the clamshells. They will be simular in cost, only I have to add in the mounts, so until I have one in hand I can't fix the price, but I'm thinking that it will be in the $70 range. Metal isn't too bad, maybe $20, but again I'll fix the price after I have some in hand to see exactly what I need to do.
-Mark
Biggles
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 25 2016, 09:01 PM) *

I was initailly looking at the sourrounds. Not the clamshells. They will be simular in cost, only I have to add in the mounts, so until I have one in hand I can't fix the price, but I'm thinking that it will be in the $70 range. Metal isn't too bad, maybe $20, but again I'll fix the price after I have some in hand to see exactly what I need to do.
-Mark

To be honest Mark, the surrounds (eyebrows) are readily available, it's the clamshell that are not. so I guess that's your call if you'd like to produce the eyebrows as well.

Are you contacting one of the guys here to get the NOS part or does someone need to contact you? Just trying to keep the momentum!
Mikey914
My understanding is the sides that are available are not the best quality, and the 911 ones are not right, that's why I'm going down this path. I have samples of each that are supposed to be inbound. I will do the sides 1st. I'm awaiting a set of the clam shells to determine the cost to make them, so they are 2nd and will get their own thread.
But these will take several weeks to do.
Mark
mepstein
Restoration design is in the process of making the metal ignition dash piece.
SixerJ
Any news ? icon_bump.gif
Mikey914
Still awaiting the sample parts to get started.
Biggles
Mark

had you separately agreed with someone on here to provide the parts or does it need someone to contact a member with a NOS part ? There are a couple of people on this thread who said they'd help...

Chris.

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 17 2016, 08:15 AM) *

Still awaiting the sample parts to get started.

rgalla9146
Hey Mark
Here's one add to your run of 914 6 parts.
The ignition switch escutcheon.
It is a 6 only part. It has fine internal threads that attach it to the ign. switch/lock assy.
NLA , AFAIK
Rory
914forme
Oh I am in for both pieces piratenanner.gif Been looking for the steering clam shell for years.

Mark you are getting to be very expensive guy to hang around with. Almost as bad as Chris happy11.gif

That being said, you both make great parts, and I love high quality cars, tools, parts and woman. beer.gif My wife would say in that order laugh.gif
gcrotvik
QUOTE(McMark @ May 23 2016, 05:24 PM) *

Definitely in. I have NOS clam shells you can scan if you want. wink.gif

Mark De Bernardi,

Can you help Mark out with your NOS set of clam shells? I don't have a set to contribute or I would.

PM sent to McMark.

Thanks,

Greg
rgalla9146
Mark
Just as a reference to expand your reach with the clamshell project.
There are two distinct tops and two distinct bottoms that will cover both 914 6
and 911 (1969 - 1973 )
Can provide pics here or to your email.
Rory
Biggles
Rory

it's these ones we want re-producing (ignore the 'eyebrow' or 'fillet' pieces as these are readily available, unless Mark wants to do these as well):

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 17 2016, 06:49 PM) *

Mark
Just as a reference to expand your reach with the clamshell project.
There are two distinct tops and two distinct bottoms that will cover both 914 6
and 911 (1969 - 1973 )
Can provide pics here or to your email.
Rory

rgalla9146
Yes, those are the ones that we want re-produced for 914 6 cars.
I was suggesting to Mark that there is certainly a ( large ) market for the 911 version as well. When tooling up for anything it is often easy to produce a second version to satisfy a larger market. There are many more 911s than 914 6s
A second cavity for injection molding can often be produced for a fraction of the cost of the first.
Mikey914
Depending on the volume we can do cast pieces pretty effectively.
Obviously if the demand is there we can do hard tooling. This way, if I only sell 25 sets, I don't have 5000 pieces sitting on my shelf.
gcrotvik
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 18 2016, 12:01 PM) *

Depending on the volume we can do cast pieces pretty effectively.
Obviously if the demand is there we can do hard tooling. This way, if I only sell 25 sets, I don't have 5000 pieces sitting on my shelf.

I'm in for several sets and I think others have indicated they are too. I may be wrong but I believe there is a huge demand for the clam shells and the surrounds if done to replicate the factory parts in quality. Your audience isn't just the US. And having access to the correct parts helps those who are doing conversions.

Have said that, I will defer to your judgment as to how to proceed.

Thanks, Mark.

Greg
Mikey914
McMark is sending the clamshels. I still need the bases to cast them.

Yes the ignition surround I can do, again a sample helps, but will both need for more than 6 weeks.
Mark
McMark
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 26 2016, 12:11 PM) *

Restoration design is in the process of making the metal ignition dash piece.

laugh.gif I made Pete do that. Gave him a deal on an FI system to give him some motivation. Sent the sample I cast off a real six dash.
Biggles
Mark

What are the 'bases' you refer to?

Chris

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 18 2016, 08:59 PM) *

McMark is sending the clamshels. I still need the bases to cast them.

Yes the ignition surround I can do, again a sample helps, but will both need for more than 6 weeks.
Mark

SixerJ
Left and right eyebrows that close the gap between the base of the clamshell and the dash frame

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.