Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GEX, have a opportunity
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Gunn1
Have the Opportunity to purchase a GEX built 2.0 liter out of a 74 914 that was involved if a front end wreck.....may buy the complete car depending on $$$$.

The engine has a little over 2,000 miles on it and has the
2100 cc, Power Master upgrade - Pick up the additional HP to climb hills, Electronic Balancing - For longer life and a smooth running engine. Counterweighted Crankshaft - Allows engine to run smoother and ultimately to last longer.
alt Maxi Oil Pump - Closer tolerances than a stock pump, provides added volume and increased oil pressure during low speed operation.
high output alternator and the Compufire Ignition.

The engine starts and runs fine, but no longer has any warranty on it. trying to come up with a value, because the guys wife is tried of looking at it and he just wants it gone. (think its the cause of many arguments)

I haven't heard anything good or bad regarding GEX and their quality.

Anyone have info on GEX?

Thanks
Tom_T
It seems to me that GEX doesn't have a great rep for their rebuilds IIRC.

Hopefully someone with 1st hand experience can weigh in on here.

Good Luck, but be cautious! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
G e o r g e
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 25 2016, 05:00 PM) *

Have the Opportunity to purchase a GEX built 2.0 liter out of a 74 914 that was involved if a front end wreck.....may buy the complete car depending on $$$$.

The engine has a little over 2,000 miles on it and has the
2100 cc, Power Master upgrade - Pick up the additional HP to climb hills, Electronic Balancing - For longer life and a smooth running engine. Counterweighted Crankshaft - Allows engine to run smoother and ultimately to last longer.
alt Maxi Oil Pump - Closer tolerances than a stock pump, provides added volume and increased oil pressure during low speed operation.
high output alternator and the Compufire Ignition.

The engine starts and runs fine, but no longer has any warranty on it. trying to come up with a value, because the guys wife is tried of looking at it and he just wants it gone. (think its the cause of many arguments)

Anyone have info on GEX?

Thanks

Use the Search function
G e o r g e
this took 2 seconds, using Search function

every question you ask has been asked time and time again. No post should say
unless you did a search and read the threads that will follow......

YMMV
bdstone914
How much are they asking? Might be ok it the price is low
914_teener
Buy it.

4 out of 5 engine guru's believe that GEX is a solid engine.

You've already stated the facts.
Gunn1
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jun 25 2016, 09:39 PM) *

Buy it.

4 out of 5 engine guru's believe that GEX is a solid engine.

You've already stated the facts.

That's a rather juvenile statement.

Never said 4 out of 5 engine gurus said anything about GEX engines.

And if you read my post were I did use that phrase I said it was incorrect.

So now no one on the site ever makes a mistake or has a Misstatement.

Thanks for your input though.

Gunn1
QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Jun 25 2016, 08:16 PM) *

YMMV

I did use the search function and got very little info.

That is why I asked the question.

So does this mean the next time someone asks why their coil is overheating, or why they have a dead spot while getting the car up to speed, we are to say "use the search function"

Can't understand why some of you are so willing to help others and share your expertise and opinions but not me.

Just don't quite understand the animosity.

But Thanks for help anyway.
Gunn1
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 25 2016, 09:25 PM) *

How much are they asking? Might be ok it the price is low

He wants a offer

That why I am asking for input.

Thanks
G e o r g e
Again, you stated you had heard no info good or bad, I said use search as there is plenty of threads with negative remarks, I have no personal knowledge of their product other than what has been written here. That alone has caused me to steer clear of them, you might not, that is your choice. The search function brings over a decade worth of info on most every subject, that is why I said to use it first. In this case it will lead you to first hand experiences, and some of those members might not be online during the run of this thread and you would never read their responses.

and yes, to your new question always use the search first, why wait for the correct response when it may only be a click away.

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 25 2016, 08:01 PM) *

YMMV

So does this mean the next time someone asks why their coil is overheating, or why they have a dead spot while getting the car up to speed, we are to say "use the search function"

Can't understand why some of you are so willing to help others and share your expertise and opinions but not me.

Gunn1
This question also included the wrecked car and what the engine would be worth in its present state. So yes part was quality of build which may be found in a previous post but not what may be the individual response regarding value of a engine of this type with no warranty and the wrecked car that comes with it.

Those answers cannot be found through a search function, they are probably more individual to the thread was my point.

Thanks again

QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Jun 25 2016, 10:14 PM) *

Again, you stated you had heard no info good or bad, I said use search as there is plenty of threads with negative remarks, I have no personal knowledge of their product other than what has been written here. That alone has caused me to steer clear of them, you might not, that is your choice. The search function brings over a decade worth of info on most every subject, that is why I said to use it first. In this case it will lead you to first hand experiences, and some of those members might not be online during the run of this thread and you would never read their responses.

and yes, to your new question always use the search first, why wait for the correct response when it may only be a click away.

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 25 2016, 08:01 PM) *

YMMV

Mueller
GEX rebuilt engines

See above link...based on that quick read unless it came with a transferable warranty in writing and it cost a grand or so, I'd pass.
Gunn1
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 25 2016, 10:32 PM) *

GEX rebuilt engines

See above link...based on that quick read unless it came with a transferable warranty in writing and it cost a grand or so, I'd pass.

Thank you very much appreciated
Gunn1
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 25 2016, 10:32 PM) *

GEX rebuilt engines

Thanks all for the input.

I did what Mueller suggested and offered the seller a grand for the car, three boxes of parts (including EFI parts) two tatga's (one of them a Saratoga) the GEX engine and 5 of the four lug Fuchs. Not sure if the Fuchs are orig or rep but if I can purchase at this price don't think it really matters.
Car also has the Blaunkpundt radio as well.

As one of the members said here "she's got his balls in her purse"

We will see what happens ....

Thanks again for the help...GEX really doesn't have to good of a rep.....
somd914
If you look at the prices GEX sells remanufactured engines for, you can't even begin to buy respectable parts and have typical machining performed for a DYI rebuild for those prices. That alone is a big red flag.

For me, a GEX engine is worth very little - nothing more than a questionable core. Good luck.
Gunn1
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jun 26 2016, 10:57 AM) *

If you look at the prices GEX sells remanufactured engines for, you can't even begin to buy respectable parts and have typical machining performed for a DYI rebuild for those prices. That alone is a big red flag.

For me, a GEX engine is worth very little - nothing more than a questionable core. Good luck.

Primarily buying for the cumlitive amount of parts and goodies on the car.

The engine is really secondary at this point.

I see the value in the engine is in the Weber down drafts, external oil cooler, electronic ignition and other associated hard parts.

SirAndy

Try searching for GEX ...
shades.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 26 2016, 09:25 AM) *

Try searching for GEX ...
shades.gif

lol-2.gif
Rand
As an aside, what's your most successful search phrase/keywords to search with? Searching GEX turns up nothing. Yet I know there are tons of threads about them going back well over a decade. I've tried "+GEX +engine*" but that brings up a lot of other unrelated results. I usually end up using google, with "site:914world.com" in front of the keywords. But I'd be interested in knowing what you've found works best.
FlatIV
This may be helpful or not. It uses google to search the site.

Go to google and type:
gex site:914world.com
westtexass2k
I have tried the search function on several items and spend hours reading thru a 32 page post to find that it had absolutely nothing to do with my search. So either I am using the search function improperly or it doesn't work well for me.
I have had the use the search function comment on most of my questions.
Mueller
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 26 2016, 10:54 AM) *

As an aside, what's your most successful search phrase/keywords to search with? Searching GEX turns up nothing. Yet I know there are tons of threads about them going back well over a decade. I've tried "+GEX +engine*" but that brings up a lot of other unrelated results. I usually end up using google, with "site:914world.com" in front of the keywords. But I'd be interested in knowing what you've found works best.

OP has a tendency of not searching anywhere for anything 1st...he might not know what google is....

There was no reason to ask on 914world what a NACA duct is, none at all.
Would it be a different definition here? No.

I can see learning what a NACA duct is elsewhere and then asking how one has used one on a 914. That makes sense.

Gunn1
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 26 2016, 02:07 PM) *

OP has a tendency of not searching anywhere for anything 1st...he might not know what google is....

I can see learning what a NACA duct is elsewhere and then asking how one has used one on a 914. That makes sense.

I am so blessed to have mueller determining what I do and not do searches on.

As I have said before, many ask many questions in the garage that clearly have been covered before and probably could be found using the search function.

The search function here isn't the best as others have attested and if I wanted to google everything, why would we even need the World?
Rand
if I wanted to google everything, why would we even need the World?

The point about google was to use it to search 914world.com. This site is where the information is. For example:
https://www.google.com/#q=gex+engine*+site:914world.com

I also set up a custom search that is helpful. For example:
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=0137693335450...&gsc.page=1

Just wondered if others have found better tricks for finding these threads.
Mueller
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 26 2016, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 26 2016, 02:07 PM) *

I am so blessed to have mueller determining what I do and not do searches on.

As I have said before, many ask many questions in the garage that clearly have been covered before and probably could be found using the search function.

The search function here isn't the best as others have attested and if I wanted to google everything, why would we even need the World?

If you ask a question you expect a response yes?

Someone has to take the time to reply, sure it is a pure voluntary response but don't you think it is a tad selfish to ask someone (anyone) to give you an answer to something so obvious and not 914 specific?

Might as well ask on World "why is the sky blue"? I mean why search on google, this way you get a personal response that is all your own.

Montreal914
$1000 for a wreck with a 2.0 FI engine, Fuchs and a Saratoga, that would be an awesome deal (even for a GEX).

Sell of everything in parts and build yourself a nice fresh engine with the sales profit. smash.gif
rhodyguy
Double check on the parameters you're using. Make sure:

You select the correct sub forum
Set the search dates correctly.
The 'titles or text?'

Start broad and then narrow.

Mike, why even hang out here if one has to google because a simple answer, instantly, is bothersome? Why take a member to task over it? The NACA topic had me perplexed. I just waited for someone to clarify. Simple...
stugray
I just googled "why is Mueller such a dick to OU812" and it turned up nothing related to this conversation.

Is it OK to ask that question here or do I need permission first?
HAM Inc
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jun 26 2016, 08:57 AM) *

GEX engines are not remanufactured, they are rebuilt. There is a legal distinction, and GEX engines don't even come close to meeting the reman standard.

GEX rebuilt T4 cylinder heads consistently had the worst workmanship I have ever seen in a rebuilt cylinder head. I saw a LOT of them and every single one was a hacked up mess. Around 2005 I stopped accepting any heads with a GEX stamp.

Their engines are also garbage. I would offer no more than scrap value for the engine because there is a very good chance that you will salvage nothing of significant value from a GEX "powerplant".

Handle it like a turd.
Gunn1
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Jun 26 2016, 06:02 PM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Jun 26 2016, 08:57 AM) *

GEX engines are not remanufactured, they are rebuilt. There is a legal distinction, and GEX engines don't even come close to meeting the reman standard.

GEX rebuilt T4 cylinder heads consistently had the worst workmanship I have ever seen in a rebuilt cylinder head. I saw a LOT of them and every single one was a hacked up mess. Around 2005 I stopped accepting any heads with a GEX stamp.

Their engines are also garbage. I would offer no more than scrap value for the engine because there is a very good chance that you will salvage nothing of significant value from a GEX "powerplant".

Handle it like a turd.

Thanks for the info HAM...

See now this response is something I would never have gotten from a "Search function"

And although I am not paying HAM or Mueller for their replies, I do appreciate and consider what they say.

Another thing that can cause search functions to be inaccurate is time. Various metrics can change over time rendering the info put forth in the non current post / thread as incorrect. Prices change, technics change, suppliers change, we change.

That is why while a post found as part of search can provide helpful info, It is not the end all be all in the quest for a certain query and shouldn't be used to hang your hat on.

Thank you
G e o r g e
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 26 2016, 05:24 PM) *

See now this response is something I would never have gotten from a "Search function"

Thank you

WRONG... on the link to threads I posted using"GEX engine" as my search parameters this Thread Has HAM's response from 5 years ago

I have seen work from both GEX and JCS over the years. I can not understate how poor the workmanship was. The only hope you have with these companies is if they happened to build your engine from a good core. They will build off any core, regardless of the condition. If you read my used T4 head policy on my website you find that I will not even consider heads stamped JCS or GEX for re-manufacture.

I bet you would be hard pressed to find a single person who has bought more than one engine from them, or anyone who has dealt with them who would deal with them again.

If you want to give your money away, give it to charity. At least you'll feel warm and fuzzy afterward and not homicidal.

ar15.gif ar15.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Jun 26 2016, 07:30 PM) *

Thank you

WRONG... on the link to threads I posted using"GEX engine" as my search parameters this Thread Has HAM's response from 5 years ago

I have seen work from both GEX and JCS over the years. I can not understate how poor the workmanship was. The only hope you have with these companies is if they happened to build your engine from a good core. They will build off any core, regardless of the condition. If you read my used T4 head policy on my website you find that I will not even consider heads stamped JCS or GEX for re-manufacture.

I bet you would be hard pressed to find a single person who has bought more than one engine from them, or anyone who has dealt with them who would deal with them again.

If you want to give your money away, give it to charity. At least you'll feel warm and fuzzy afterward and not homicidal.

WRONG the post while simular is different from the reply recently sent to me.

If you want to make it a contest go ahead.

I am going to do a search AND ask questions just like the rest do....

If you don't like it.....don't respond....or be like some of the other intolerant members here and put me on your ignore list.

That's another function that I find to be so silly. We are adults here and we need a button to push to ignore someone? Come on!

If I want to ignore someone(which I don't) I would ignore them, I don't need some stinkin button to do it.
Gunn1
QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 26 2016, 04:49 PM) *

I just googled "why is Mueller such a dick to OU812" and it turned up nothing related to this conversation.

Is it OK to ask that question here or do I need permission first?

I just think we all have ideas on how things should run around here, and Mueller has his.

No worries he has his opinions, which isn't a crime.

I would just hope even if we disagree we are at least tolerant of each other's views

I think it would be difficult to be one of the administrators. Can you imagine how hard it would be to keep quiet when you really wanted to let someone have it?

Geez
Since "this" posting is at the top again, my thoughts are that several have added some valuable replies to the original question posted.
But some how you still do not accept the answers, and thus continue to ask the same question. I hope this tread will not mushroom into another five pages of the same questions from you, similar to your posting on why Porsche didn't simply keep carburetors on all their cars. I have a high school friend that's a Master Porsche tech....if I asked him your question on carbs vs the current fuel injection. I think he might ask me, what century are you living in.
G e o r g e
HAM's responses to this thread and the one from 11' are not identical, true, but both specify that he does not accept their heads and his opinion on quality seem to be the same in each answer. headbang.gif

I guess unless the answer is directed to you specifically it is insufficient?

I think your grasping at straws to try and make some point that " search" has limited redeeming use and every question should be asked and answered over and over for each new Poster.

here are some rarely asked topics you can get a head start on.

What size tires fit under a narrow body?

will 7" Fuchs fit?

what vin #'s fall under the "S" edition?

Big 4 or 6 which is better?

is yellow faster?

Mayo or Miracle Whip?

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 26 2016, 06:13 PM) *

Thank you

If you don't like it.....don't respond....or be like some of the other intolerant members here and put me on your ignore list.

That's another function that I find to be so silly. We are adults here and we need a button to push to ignore someone? Come on!

If I want to ignore someone(which I don't) I would ignore them, I don't need some stinkin button to do it.

Gunn1
QUOTE(396 @ Jun 26 2016, 08:33 PM) *

Since "this" posting is at the top again, my thoughts are that several have added some valuable replies to the original question posted.
But some how you still do not accept the answers, and thus continue to ask the same question. I hope this tread will not mushroom into another five pages of the same questions from you, similar to your posting on why Porsche didn't simply keep carburetors on all their cars. I have a high school friend that's a Master Porsche tech....if I asked him your question on carbs vs the current fuel injection. I think he might ask me, what century are you living in.

Respectfully,
You need to read the threads

This one because I have accepted and thanked everyone for their comments and advise.
In fact I made the offer that Mueller suggested and am waiting for a counter or acceptance. This post helped me educate the seller why his GEX is not what he thought it was. I would also hazard a guess it has maybe informed some who haven't weighed in but read through the thread, that may now steer clear of a GEX product.

The EFI post you refer to morphed from me having serious questions regarding why certain decisions were made. At the end of the thread I called out many of my first statements as being incorrect and corrected myself.

If indeed your friend is the school teacher and master mechanic you say he is, I don't think he'd ask what century I live in because that is obvious. I would bet he would say "he has some good questions, but let's educate him on why his questions are wrong and why Porsche did what history shows."

Thank you

Gunn1
QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Jun 26 2016, 08:57 PM) *

HAM's responses to this thread and the one from 11' are not identical, true, but both specify that he does not accept their heads and his opinion on quality seem to be the same in each answer. headbang.gif

I guess unless the answer is directed to you specifically it is insufficient?

I think your grasping at straws to try and make some point that " search" has limited redeeming use and every question should be asked and answered over and over for each new Poster.

here are some rarely asked topics you can get a head start on.

What size tires fit under a narrow body?

will 7" Fuchs fit?

what vin #'s fall under the "S" edition?

Big 4 or 6 which is better?

is yellow faster?

Mayo or Miracle Whip?

How can you possibly be so ignorant.....of course yellow is faster

Unless your mepstein then red is.

QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 26 2016, 06:13 PM) *

Thank you

Jake Raby
I also refuse to base an engine from any crankcase with the signature "gold" paint job from GEX, or those 3 letters stamped in the case, or any part.

I won't even consider it. I throw it away.
rhodyguy
Damn quotes. Screens of them. Why? Can't you guys keep track of a 'conversation'? Fucking waste of time and I have a new callus on my finger, not middle, from all the scrolling.

Btw. The GEX engines are old news. They're cheap for a reason.
TheCabinetmaker
Pay attention Kevin!
Mark Henry
I've had several in the scrap pile rolleyes.gif

I can't tell you how many peeps have left the hobby do to the disappointment and expense of a GEX engine. dry.gif

And Len is right on about the heads, worst garbage you will ever see. wacko.gif

rhodyguy
I try Curt. All of the quotes get in the way and are a HUGE distraction. I'm getting old and feeble. wink.gif
G e o r g e
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 27 2016, 08:55 AM) *

I try Curt. All of the quotes get in the way and are a HUGE distraction. I'm getting old and feeble. wink.gif

Come on Kevin their not that bad.

w00t.gif
rhodyguy
More quotes AND a 'wait for it'. AARGH! Get the hell off of my lawn!
G e o r g e
beerchug.gif
914_teener
Just use the ignore function Kevin....makes it a lot shorter.
rhodyguy
Like ignoring a toothache?
TheCabinetmaker
lol-2.gif av-943.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 27 2016, 09:19 AM) *

Like ignoring a toothache?

More like going out in I-5 traffic at 4PM. biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
That 4pm business is easy to ignore. I practice daily. The prime reason I IGNORE teener Tuesday's. Not leaving my house at 1pm for a burger in Seattle, or points north, at 6. This thread has shot straight to hell. Turn it in to a kegger?

What was I saying? Hard to keep track with all of the quotes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.