Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass flared fender question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche-tom
I am looking at getting fiberglass fenders (.....yes I know metal fenders are better) there are 2 main styles one is just the fender and one has more of the body molded into it. My question is do you have to cut the hole side of your car up to fit these? Or just enough to fit bigger wheels and the fiberglass sits on top? Anybody have info or an opinion of which FG fenders are best?pros cons.......ect
Click to view attachment
JRust
The GT Flares are most common. They come in different forms. Some incorporate the whole rear quarter. Most are the flare with enough material to bond or rivet. I kind of dig the rivet look depending on your build. Either way yes you are cutting your metal to fit. Otherwise adding the flares would be pointless. You couldn't put wider wheels & tires huh.gif
porsche-tom
Thanks for yhe response. I get that the metal needs cut for the wheels but do you have to cut out the circled areas also?
Root_Werks
Older thread I did on how I liked to install glass flares:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=25922&hl=

You basically cut the fender leaving about an inch to bond the flare to. Gives a cleaner look.
jcd914
The set or rears I had that were the complete rear quarter you would have to cut the complete fender off, leaving just a flange to mount to.

INHO this would be fine for a race/track car or highly modified street car that needs some really big rear wheels. If I just flaring to get 8 inch wheels and was going fiberglass, I would used just flares not rear quarters.

Like Jamie, I like the riveted/screwed on look with the right color combination.

Jim

76-914
Elyut has pic's of his flare conversion somewhere on the board here. IIRC, he used DZus fasteners.
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Woody
I riveted mine.

Click to view attachment
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(Woody @ Jun 27 2016, 07:03 PM) *

I riveted mine.

Click to view attachment

I'm using stainless Allen head bolts. Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Rivets...

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Or bond them. I left about 3" and hammered the existing panel to match the inside of the flare. This gave me more surface area to bond to. Installed about 1993.

r_towle
QUOTE(Woody @ Jun 27 2016, 10:03 PM) *

I riveted mine.

Click to view attachment

That looks fantastic.
I would love to see a wider angle shot to show all the newer cars behind it....
Woody
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 27 2016, 10:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Woody @ Jun 27 2016, 10:03 PM) *

I riveted mine.

Click to view attachment

That looks fantastic.
I would love to see a wider angle shot to show all the newer cars behind it....

That's the only shot I have of it at that event. beerchug.gif
raw1298
I have a thread titled "On the ground" where I used qrs quarter panels. I cut the rear ones down to use more of the sheet metal. I used the entire front quarters due to the originals being crushed in at the turn signal.
raw1298
Here is what they look like bonded on with panel bond adhesive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.