Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looks like my car is too low
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
Hello,
When I rebuilt the rear suspension I installed new Bilsteins with the snap ring set at the 3rd slot from the bottom. The 100# springs are new. I read on World that this was a setting used by others.

After having the car back on the road for the last few weeks, it seems too low. I am running 185/65 tires. Soon I will be removing the rear suspension to replace the bushings, again, and want to raise the height in the process by about 3/4".

What setting on the Bilsteims would accomplish this?

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
76-914
Move the ring up 1 or 2 perch's. However much your raise it on the perch is how much higher it will ride. Did that make sense? blink.gif
jack20
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 27 2016, 12:11 PM) *

Move the ring up 1 or 2 perch's. However much your raise it on the perch is how much higher it will ride. Did that make sense? blink.gif

That's what I was looking for.
Thanks!
Larmo63
It doesn't look too low as far as I can tell in your pictures.

I'd go one notch higher if at all.

Great looking car, btw!!!! beerchug.gif
Shadowfax
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 27 2016, 02:24 PM) *

agree.gif on all counts biggrin.gif
jrblackbox
QUOTE(Shadowfax @ Jun 27 2016, 11:27 AM) *

what they said above!!
914Sixer
On stock tires 165/80/15 and stock suspension, the 914 sits nose high. It was done that way for it to meet US headlight regulations.
matthepcat
Do any states actually check headlight height anymore?

Probably those states that don't have lame smog laws like CA.
wndsnd
Two people in the car. If you hear it rub over bumps or holes, raise one notch.

Try again.
somd914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 27 2016, 03:24 PM) *

agree.gif on all three counts
mepstein
I like the car to be parallel to the ground at the rockers.
Chris914n6
I like a flat rocker too. Most racers do a 1/2" rake, higher in the back.
Rand
Just drop the front enough so it's barely slightly lower than the back and enjoy the perfect stance for a 914. The good news is that only takes minutes with the front torsion adjusters.
r_towle
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jun 27 2016, 07:16 PM) *

Two people in the car. If you see sparks coming out the back, raise one notch.

Try again.

Fixed it for you!
Cairo94507
Looks good to me too. I also like the 914 a touch lower in the front - just enough to notice.
Rand
Funny perspective switch: Most guys ask how to lower the rear a little. biggrin.gif
Rand
All that being said, set the stance you want first. If you made adjustments, then depending on how serious you are about sorting out your handling, you should then get it corner balanced and dialed in by a shop that understands things like how your driving style affects toe, camber, and yoga pants umbrella girls.
era vulgaris
As others have said, i think your ride height looks great. My car is at a similar height. Unless you're noticing any rubbing or scraping, i'd leave it. These cars look so much better when they're lower.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Jun 27 2016, 03:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Shadowfax @ Jun 27 2016, 11:27 AM) *

what they said above!!

+1
jmink
If you go to the Paddock area of this site, there is a thread titled Track Car Pictures ( http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=51859 ), page 20 has a lot of good side elevation shots with different ride heights front and rear. Just to give you an idea of how you may wish to set yours up.

Matter of personal preference - I happen to like the nose to the ground look. FWIW
green914
agree.gif very nice looking car.
jack20
Thanks everybody.
I'm going to move the Bilsteins up 1 notch and set the front 1/2" lower than the rear before I take it in for alignment.
Darren C
Ride height is a matter of choice by the individual.
As a point of reference in all factory drawings for 914/4, 914/6 & 914/8 (that I have been able to find) the ride height at design can be easily shown by drawing an imaginary straight line across the top of the rocker panel, extending into each wheel arch.
The centre of the wheels sit roughly on this line. With STOCK wheels and tyres. It's also worth mentioning that this is prior to any legal requirement to raise or lower the ride height to meet various countries bumper height regulations.

IPB Image

My car was initially sitting too low, which lead me to investigate where it should be. Haynes offer a set up measurement for the front which has been posted may times on here. I initially set my car to this but it looked a little low at the front compared to the factory blueprints. In the end I lifted the car parallel to the floor (using the imaginary line discussed above) I’m happy with the look and the ride (as its where the designers intended the car to sit, not where regulation had it finally resting and aesthetically it just looks right), but as said before, it’s personal choice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.