Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New engine firewall pad or Dynamatt?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcus
My engine pad is crumbling. I was thinking of replacing it with Dynamatt. Has anyone done this? I think it looks a little nicer and the sound deadening properties are nice. What are your suggestions?

Any pics would be appreciated. Thanks again all
Alphaogre
Pelican parts have an option that I used, I am pretty happy with it since it fit and was easy to install.
76-914
Don't be surprised at what you find when that pad comes off. I had a hole on both sides. beerchug.gif
mepstein
I'm using a dynamatt copy.
JmuRiz
I'm using nothing smile.gif

If I do sound deadening it will be inside the weatherproof cabin behind the backpad.
Cracker
I also do not use insulation or a pad on either side...no problems here. Between the two choices you listed - I'd choose Dynamat hands down.

T
mepstein
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 30 2016, 08:58 PM) *

If I do sound deadening it will be inside the weatherproof cabin behind the backpad.

Mine is inside the cabin. Nothing outside to trap water.
Mblizzard
Saw this one that may be an option
carr914
DynaMat Lite on mine
Rand
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 30 2016, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 30 2016, 08:58 PM) *

Mine is inside the cabin. Nothing outside to trap water.

+1
boxsterfan
As others have stated, do some form of dynamat (or other vendor sound deadening product) on the inside. There are some good threads here on this board of people doing dynamat all throughout the interior.

Here is what was behind my engine pad:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-...29428_thumb.jpg

cary
914 Rubber has a nice Velcro removable one. Just took it out of one of Mark's cars.
I just spent 2 days removing the residual Dynamat tar from one of the rally cars we're building at Rothsport. Nasty ................. sad.gif sad.gif
Mikey914
At $86 these are the best value I've seen
http://shop.914rubber.com/Fireall-backpad-...m?categoryId=-1

This is the one Cary mentioned
Mikey914
installed
914_teener
So I.m wondering.

I can only wonder what the engineers were thinking when they put the pad there. My quess is that it was to stop heat transfer as well as sound...with more emphasis on the former.

What say the collective?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 31 2016, 06:15 AM) *

So I.m wondering.

I can only wonder what the engineers were thinking when they put the pad there. My quess is that it was to stop heat transfer as well as sound...with more emphasis on the former.

What say the collective?

Heat. There is a dense rubber mat on the inside wall that would seem to be more capable of stopping sound.
wes
I striped mine both sides and used DynaMat plus the 914rubber one shown earlier, keeps the heat out but I add Webber to my 2056 and drive mostly with the top off,, Ive got lots of good sound.
carcus
Thanks all. I think I might go with the 914 Rubber one.
rfinegan
Any one try a spray on sound deadening? ( Lizard skin or the likes)
Steve
Mine also had surface rust underneath it on the passenger side. I ended up just using dynamat on the inside and dumping the engine compartment one. It also gives me more clearance to get to the 914-6 fan belt.
ThinAir
I had holes that needed to be repaired on both sides of the firewall from moisture trapped by the factory pad. It's gone, and I used GMat on the inside under the backpad (and the rest of the interior). It worked well. I still have plenty of engine sound, but I can hear the stereo too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.