Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Epic Scrap Metal.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
fordb132
Click to view attachment
Hi everybody from Norway.I'm starting a new project here as I found the remains of a 914 for 300 usd.It was cut into three parts to make it easier to bring it to the scrap yard.I lost my job,so I have plenty of time and less money.
This car has nearly nothing left of the outside body panels,so I feel free to make some fun out of it.There is very much structural rust to fix first and thanks to Brians Machine Service I have a 911 roof I want to weld on top of the 914 chassis.
This is a long term project I want to shear with you.I have a plan....
Lets put on some good music in the workshop and start up the welding machine.
krazykonrad
welcome.png

This will be a fun build to watch. Let us all know if we can help.

Konrad

Mikey914
Yes definitely an uphill battle. Start with securing the substructure. The longs and pan would be the best place to start,
SirAndy
Looks like you have your work cut out for you ...
biggrin.gif

welcome.png
KELTY360
welcome.png

rock_band.gif

welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
matthepcat
Glutton for punishment?
76-914
welcome.png Where there is a will there is a way. Go for it. beerchug.gif
EJZero1
My starting point suddenly looks a lot less daunting!

Hats off to you for your ambition, and best of luck!
bretth
Damn I hate to see any car go to waste. This would be the ultimate resurrection. Rock on.

beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

If you can bring that car back to life. You have a free beer in Pleasanton CA any time you want to collect.

smilie_pokal.gif
falcor75
Yikes, well at least you wont have to worry about make it worse that it was before... Good luck from Sweden.
flat4guy
Good thing you have long cold winters.......
Frankvw
ok...so if I sum it up : we have a 914 in three pieces, a chopped 911 roof, a welding machine and plenty of time and the mindset that you want to use those ingredients......wow.
Keep us updated since this is a major project and there is something to enjoy for all of us since every aspect of the 914 will be in scope.
I wish you good luck with this project. Greetings from Holland
fordb132
Click to view attachment

THANKS for the positive response.I restored a -70 914 last year
and I like that car a lot.When this wreck came up,I got an idea of using the chassis for another design.The first pic in this thread is actually a few months old.
Didn't dear to start a thread before I knew it was fixable...
mbseto
This will surely be interesting. What's your plan? Tube frame? Fiberglass body?

Your driver looks great, got a few more pics?
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I found a few more pics of my 914 for you.Thinking of making a new body of aluminum on my new project and give it some 904 styling.Dont know if thats done before??
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
I fully support you turning this car, or the pieces of it, into a 904, or just about anything you want!

I do not, however, support cutting up race cars with pedigree to turn them into 904s, or otherwise. poke.gif (you'll hear more about that story I'm sure, but in the meantime, welcome! The gold car looks really cool too!)
fordb132
Click to view attachment

Thanks for the welcome and a pic of the wreck with the new roof and on wheels,looking good.My hope is that it will become a race car......
Do anyone know if there is any 904's in metal?
tygaboy
Wow - that 911 roof looks nice! Let's see some more pics from other angles, please!
flat4guy
It looks soooo much better with a roof and wheels on it, I too would like to see more roof pics.
fordb132
I'm only using the front part of the roof,so the locals that visits my workshop thinks I'm trying to make it into a pick-up....A famous man once said...like doing card tricks for a dog.The workshop is too small to get any pictures from the side...I'm planning to push it outside one day with nice weather.
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Body structure coming together.Time to start on the aluminium body skin.Made my first body panel of alu today and discovered that I have lots to learn there.Thanks to all my spare time,I hope to drive this thing next summer....
tygaboy
That is soooo cool. LOVE IT! Keep posting and best of luck with your build.
Millerwelds
Holly stromberg.gif

I am amazed. Great progress and vision. Keep it up and keep us up to date. beerchug.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Nov 15 2016, 12:09 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the welcome and a pic of the wreck with the new roof and on wheels,looking good.My hope is that it will become a race car......
Do anyone know if there is any 904's in metal?

pray.gif What a project welder.gif smilie_pokal.gif
gms
That looks awesome!
zambezi
Now THIS will be a 904 build to watch. Awesome work.
Krieger
WOW! I saw your first post days ago and I did not want to comment. I thought you were nuts and that car was too far gone. For some reason I checked back in this evening and am truly amazed at what your doing!
mepstein
Way to go! Great save whatever it becomes.
914forme
drooley.gif
Porschef
WOW!!! w00t.gif

Worth saving just because it's Ravenna green... Great skills, I like the rear flare shape. Dig the homemade stands too.

Having that most precious of commodities should have you making rapid progress weekly; keep the posts coming. beer.gif
EdwardBlume
Check this out
https://flyermotorwerks.com
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Hi again folks.
I thought I was doing OK,until I checked out your link,Rob.This one is going to be covered in bondo and paint,thats for sure.Well,Mr. Krieger.I have been nuts for many years now and turning insane if I can't pull this of.
New day tomorrow...hope I learn something from this.
mbseto
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Nov 18 2016, 12:41 PM) *

...Well,Mr. Krieger.I have been nuts for many years now and turning insane if I can't pull this of.

You may have found your tribe...

This looks awesome, keep 'em coming!!
restore2seater
Since you're using aluminum for the skin how are you going to attach the skin to the steel structure?

Using some type of epoxy to bond the skin?
Are you welding or brazing? Using something like this. Aluma Steel

Or, after further thought, am I way out in left field and the skins will be attached with some type of mechanical fasteners?
daytona
Wow, I am impressed with the ambition and skill.
I have an old 914 rust bucket that I hate to cut up and scrap. But I thought that it was too far gone to realistically save. After looking at what you are doing I realize that my car is not as bad as I thought. Now I have to think of something interesting to do with it.
Good luck with your project and please keep us posted. We all love to see what others do with their cars particularly a project such as yours. May the force be with you.
Bill.
KELTY360
Serious panel beating skills! smash.gif
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I'm thinking of folding the alu skin around the steel structure.Also using aircraft rivets ,but under the windshield I was planning to epoxy it to the steel.
Working on the structure today for the front fenders....wasn't good enough.

Do you know what kind of wheels this is?They are only marked with the size,9x15.
They were on a Porsche that came from Sweden in the eighties.
I have four of them,but need two that are 7x15 in front.
Tried to order from group4wheels,but they don't answer.....
jmitro
amazing!
serious metal fab skills!
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Krieger @ Nov 18 2016, 12:36 AM) *

WOW! I saw your first post days ago and I did not want to comment. I thought you were nuts and that car was too far gone. For some reason I checked back in this evening and am truly amazed at what your doing!

I am with Andy on this one. I am glad I stopped back and looked again. Looks like this will be a fun thread to watch.
It is nice to see progress. It would also be nice to see more of the fabrication processes you are using. It is clear you have considerable skills. Seeing more on how you are getting panels formed would be a nice learning experience.

Thanks for sharing
914forme
agree.gif

I do see an English wheel. But most other items in your shop look like items most of us would also have.

I am just a fabricator, bend cut weld, no shaping skills what so ever dry.gif

Love watching people who do though keep it coming piratenanner.gif
rick 918-S
Nice progress!
sixnotfour
Do you know what kind of wheels this is?They are only marked with the size,9x15.
They were on a Porsche that came from Sweden in the eighties.
I have four of them,but need two that are 7x15 in front.
Tried to order from group4wheels,but they don't answer.....

Campagnolo wheels, Yes grp 4 makes replica's of them..

Nice work beerchug.gif
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Rewelded the engine mount so it cleared the shifting mechanism that I also had to reweld to clear the homemade headers.....thats the way it is with backyard engineering.
Made a new ,old style?,steering wheel from a 4 mm stainless plate.I'm not sure if I like it yet.Dressing it up in leather later and adding a small Porsche decal i center.
Project got a name....Mighty Tiny.Thats the only thing thats fit perfect today..
Krieger
Wow again! I have never seen anyone make their own steering wheel. I like it!
Cuda911
Fun project to watch... keep us posted... love the steering wheel!
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=583
103]Click to view attachment

I have a homemade wheeling machine,the old,english,silent fellow in the corner and a bead roller.
The rest is homemade small stuff.Tryuing to do things with simple tools the old way.
Made some parts today too.Trying to bring a bit of sixties feeling into this -73 Porsche.
Sad to say but the dashboard was cut out,so I'm using the 911 dash.Moved the glovebox lid hinge in one inch as I don't have a kneepad and keeping the dash clean.Made some panels...maybe too bright and covers to the rockers in the same material....SS 316.
Rear brakeshields was rusted away...new ones in alu.
The 914 dash would have suited the car much better.
Reshaping the instrument bowl later so it will contain 3 instruments only.
falcor75
Keep the five instrument holes and use the ones you want and just put a blanking plate in any unused one. Later on you might want to add a gauge and then you'll have a spare space for it without redoing the entire dash. smile.gif
Porschef
At this clip, you should be done right around Christmas... beerchug.gif santa_smiley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.