Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Free (at cost) full size rear stiffener patterns
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalfMoon
You pay for the paper, the copying, the shipping tube and shipping costs (essentially the costs).
Can't imagine it'd be more than $20 CONUS.

Just trace it out on your metal, cut and weld. Beats spending $150 bux to have em pre-cut.

David

PS-straight trade for full size front sway bar stiffener pattern.

Admin-if posted in the wrong place, move as you see fit :-)

nick1973
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Dec 6 2016, 12:21 PM) *

You pay for the paper, the copying, the shipping tube and shipping costs (essentially the costs).

Just trace it out on your metal, cut and weld. Beats spending $150 bux to have em pre-cut.

David

Id like a set if you can post to the uk

thanks
mbseto
If you're not looking to make money from this, why not just email a dxf that a person could print at a local print shop? If this site had a place to stage drawing files, I'll bet we could build quite a stock.
cwpeden
Or we could support the people that support us?

I don't know what your time is worth but looked at a set and knowing what my time is worth, it would cost way more that $150 in time to make them....just sayin.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(nick1973 @ Dec 9 2016, 04:53 AM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Dec 6 2016, 12:21 PM) *

David

Id like a set if you can post to the uk

thanks

No problem. I'll send em anywhere.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(mbseto @ Dec 9 2016, 09:18 AM) *

If you're not looking to make money from this, why not just email a dxf that a person could print at a local print shop? If this site had a place to stage drawing files, I'll bet we could build quite a stock.

I traced em from my originals. They are FULL size. No idea how I'd make digital file of the them. My local UPS store has a large copier so I can make copies pretty easily. Pop em in a shipping tube and send em off.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Dec 9 2016, 09:34 AM) *

I don't know what your time is worth but looked at a set and knowing what my time is worth, it would cost way more that $150 in time to make them....just sayin.

Uh...I guess you don't want a set then, eh?
Just sayin.
HalfMoon
A few had asked which kit I had. Not sure but here's an image.
Click to view attachment
Mueller
If you are talking about the triangle shaped front swaybar part, I think I've posted a dxf or full size picture/pdf of them before, I'll try and look later on.

This is something that someone could just take a picture of with just a few dimensions to get a drawing made easily.
Chris914n6
Those holes look pretty random.

I can make a dxf file out the tracings if we want to open source this stuff. Totally worth my time if I don't have to do the measurements for the long stiffeners.

A 4x8 sheet of 16ga is currently around $60 at the metal supply place, so might be worth it for those with a cutter and free time.
Mueller
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Dec 10 2016, 07:03 PM) *

Those holes look pretty random.

I can make a dxf file out the tracings if we want to open source this stuff. Totally worth my time if I don't have to do the measurements for the long stiffeners.

A 4x8 sheet of 16ga is currently around $60 at the metal supply place, so might be worth it for those with a cutter and free time.

You should be able to make a dxf from the picture, just need 2 or so dimensions to get a good reference.
Mueller
I was lazy and didn't want to add the rest of the holes, for scale reference I made those holes .250"

Click to view attachment
Mueller
are there instructions someplace that show what plate goes where and if there are bends?
mbseto
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 11 2016, 01:02 AM) *

You should be able to make a dxf from the picture, just need 2 or so dimensions to get a good reference.

You'll get significant foreshortening error from a photograph. Better to scan, trace, or whatever, to get an accurate shape. Not saying anyone's obligated to do this, but making drawings from photos is doomed to frustration.
HalfMoon
This is what the costs are to Laguana Beach CA so it gives a fairly good idea of what the costs are.
PM me if ya want one (copy).
3.50 Shipping tube
11.00 full size copy
10.71 UPS to CA 92651
25.21 Total
nick1973
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 10 2016, 10:20 PM) *

I was lazy and didn't want to add the rest of the holes, for scale reference I made those holes .250"

Click to view attachment

this is great im after a set but im in the uk so shipping the steel panels is crazy i can get them drawn up and lazered out for for less than the shipping costs smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
jmitro
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Dec 9 2016, 08:34 AM) *

agree.gif

ithe cost of materials is going to be at least half the cost. Sheetmetal aint cheap. Add in the hours of labor to precisely trace, cut, drill/punch, and you won't be saving any money.

and no, I don't want a set. I ordered mine from Mad Dogs Motorsports wink.gif
HalfMoon
QUOTE(jmitro @ Dec 16 2016, 08:01 AM) *

agree.gif

ithe cost of materials is going to be at least half the cost. Sheetmetal aint cheap. Add in the hours of labor to precisely trace, cut, drill/punch, and you won't be saving any money.

Oh good. I'm happy for you :-)
Mueller
QUOTE(mbseto @ Dec 12 2016, 11:50 AM) *

You'll get significant foreshortening error from a photograph. Better to scan, trace, or whatever, to get an accurate shape. Not saying anyone's obligated to do this, but making drawings from photos is doomed to frustration.

Not a precision part like a piston wrist pin, these are getting welded and possibly beat to submission to get them to fit correctly.

How many kits are out there? Can you say that they are all exact? If someone is told to make cardboard templates how is a photo driven drawing going to be that far off?

Chris914n6
QUOTE(jmitro @ Dec 16 2016, 05:01 AM) *

agree.gif

I've got nothing against MadDog, and I'd bet this kit is not their precision cut kit, but $260 shipped buys a whole day of my time. Plus the extra steel can be used for the rocker stiffeners and other projects.

Mike- I've been in the sign business long enough to know pics don't make good templates. Too much distortion, things get smaller further away from dead center.
restore2seater
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Dec 16 2016, 05:45 PM) *

agree.gif

I've got nothing against MadDog, and I'd bet this kit is not their precision cut kit, but $260 shipped buys a whole day of my time. Plus the extra steel can be used for the rocker stiffeners and other projects.

Mike- I've been in the sign business long enough to know pics don't make good templates. Too much distortion, things get smaller further away from dead center.

$260 shipped? The chassis stiffening kit is $130. How do you get to another $130 for shipping?

Chassis Stiffening Kit
mbseto
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 16 2016, 03:40 PM) *

QUOTE(mbseto @ Dec 12 2016, 11:50 AM) *

Not a precision part like a piston wrist pin, these are getting welded and possibly beat to submission to get them to fit correctly.

How many kits are out there? Can you say that they are all exact? If someone is told to make cardboard templates how is a photo driven drawing going to be that far off?

You will save a huge amount of time and effort by cutting more accurately than by relying on a hammer later. Maybe this is something you only learn by doing.

HalfMoon
Here it is as a pdf.
You'll have to take it (the file) to a place that has a large format copy machine to get a copy in full size (22X28).
Of course I can have a copy made for you and send it in a shipping tube from 25442 if anyone wants a copy and doesn't want to hassle with having a copy made.
Hope everyone had a merry Christmas and a happy Hanukkah,
David

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
QUOTE(restore2seater @ Dec 16 2016, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Dec 16 2016, 05:45 PM) *

agree.gif

$260 shipped? The chassis stiffening kit is $130. How do you get to another $130 for shipping?

Chassis Stiffening Kit

That's what was in the Paypal invoice. I'm assuming by the price a second kit snuck in the cart. My bad.
HalfMoon
Btw, my PO for some reason didn't use these pieces when he added the rear chassis stiffening kit and I can't figure out where they fit.
Anyone got a clue for me?
TY
David
Click to view attachment
76-914
Is that the front outer wheel well piece? Check Cary's thread, post #865. beerchug.gif
914_teener
They are definately not the front arch supports for the front wheel well.

No idea if it were for the rear. Maybe the rear outside of the longs?
jmitro
no those are supports for the rear suspension console. Of all the parts, these require the most bending/manipulation. Also takes a lot of time to remove the original bracing if they are rusty to begin with.

see my work here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2408014
HalfMoon
QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 29 2016, 12:00 PM) *

They are definately not the front arch supports for the front wheel well.

No idea if it were for the rear. Maybe the rear outside of the longs?

No, pretty sure these are the ones for the outside of the longs
Click to view attachment
HalfMoon
QUOTE(jmitro @ Dec 29 2016, 12:28 PM) *

no those are supports for the rear suspension console. Of all the parts, these require the most bending/manipulation. Also takes a lot of time to remove the original bracing if they are rusty to begin with.

see my work here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2408014

Hmmm, I think these are the ones for the consoles
Click to view attachment

Still wondering where these go. Pretty sure they're not associated with the front....
Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
Page 3, just a much bigger piece.

MadDog instructions
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Dec 30 2016, 03:31 AM) *

MadDog instructions

Are you sure?
If that's true, then it begs the question of where this piece goed then as I thought THIS piece was the console?
Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Dec 30 2016, 06:45 AM) *

MadDog instructions

Are you sure?

No. biggrin.gif
CorelDraw x6 won't import your PDF so I haven't been able to trace it for printing with my plotter.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Dec 30 2016, 02:41 PM) *

MadDog instructions

Are you sure?

No. biggrin.gif
CorelDraw x6 won't import your PDF so I haven't been able to trace it for printing with my plotter.

Huh?
Not sure that has to do with it. The images are posted and the parts are circled for the purposes of identification...
Anyone have any idea who the manufacturer of this particular kit is? It seems different than all the other ones I've seen. Perhaps asking the source would be the best option at this point?
D
Chris914n6
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Dec 30 2016, 02:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Dec 30 2016, 02:41 PM) *

MadDog instructions

Are you sure?

No. biggrin.gif

Huh?
Not sure that has to do with it. The images are posted and the parts are circled for the purposes of identification...

It means I'm not able to press the templates to my car to see how they fit. Your kit is different than any I've seen.
It also means I won't be making an Autocad file for those that might have wanted one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.