Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Barrett Jackson 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
altitude411
Does anyone know the lot # for the 914-6's at the BJ auction in Scottsdale? TIA
SKL1
Was just at BJ this AM- missed the 6. Not hard with all the cars and crowds there!
Did see one at Bonhams this afternoon- see other post...
altitude411
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jan 17 2017, 04:53 PM) *

Was just at BJ this AM- missed the 6. Not hard with all the cars and crowds there!
Did see one at Bonhams this afternoon- see other post...

Ah... maybe I'm mis-informed. I was under the impression there were a couple at Barrett. confused24.gif Thanks SKL1
michael7810
I'm working at BJ and have not seen a 914.
GeorgeRud
There's one at Bonhams,. I couldn't find one at RM Sothby's, but was under the expression that there was yet another one somewhere at Scottsdale.

It'll be interesting to see what they sell for.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jan 18 2017, 05:53 AM) *

Can we see a picture of you with your "Red Tie" on?
puffinator
There is one for sale on Ebay. It is mine!!
forrestkhaag
I'm loving the scarcity...
michael7810
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jan 18 2017, 09:37 AM) *

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jan 18 2017, 05:53 AM) *

Can we see a picture of you with your "Red Tie" on?

Ha...they don't give red ties to the drivers. But we do get to drive some pretty cool cars.
SKL1
Just back from Gooding- there was a nice 914-6 which is in the database here. Stove top Mahles, nice paint. Much nicer than the one at Bonhams.
Estimate 80-100... time will tell.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Man, that Gooding and Company Six is beautiful. Hope it hits the estimate and just keeps going.
altitude411
drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif Fit and finish
altitude411
'71 911T just crossed the block at Barrett for $57,000 dry.gif

'73 highly modded 911T $36,000 sad.gif someone lost their ass and someone got a great buy

'78 911 RS replica $60,000
flat4guy
They were talking about the 73 on the Tiger FB page, seemed like a great price for someone. I wonder if the prices are finally falling back to reality?
altitude411
QUOTE(flat4guy @ Jan 19 2017, 07:59 PM) *

They were talking about the 73 on the Tiger FB page, seemed like a great price for someone. I wonder if the prices are finally falling back to reality?

There's gotta be more to the story? confused24.gif I mean I know modded doesn't sell like original but that seemed like a nicer car than 36k
Coondog
QUOTE(flat4guy @ Jan 19 2017, 06:59 PM) *

I would not have known it was a 1973, maybe a 1986. That's what killed its value there was nothing original and looked way over modded with its fake turbo vents and rear bumper vents. But that was the look people wanted in the late 80s. It would have brought twice the money if they left it stock.

Prices aren't falling unless you over mod a Porsche to make it look 15 years newer.....

Michael N
Bonhams sold...

Click to view attachment
gcrotvik
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jan 19 2017, 12:35 PM) *

Just back from Gooding- there was a nice 914-6 which is in the database here. Stove top Mahles, nice paint. Much nicer than the one at Bonhams.
Estimate 80-100... time will tell.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Car belongs to a member here.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=302362
SKL1
I'd love to have that in my garage! So MUCH nicer than the one at Bonhams. Should watch the bidding and jump in if price reasonable!!

Coloradocurt
Anyone know what the car at Gooding sold for??
altitude411
''Anyone know what the car at Gooding sold for??''

90 k

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2446591
larryM
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Jan 19 2017, 07:01 PM) *

There's gotta be more to the story? I mean I know modded doesn't sell like original but that seemed like a nicer car than 36k

if we look at the Europe auctions over the last few yrs, it is interesting that modded 914-6s and 911s get very high prices - perhaps those buyers are not as afflicted with the originality fetish as we in USA?

socal1200r
$90K for a 914-6?! Were they smoking crack or something?! That's insane, and not in a good way...
sixaddict
Estimate was for 80-100K so it came in the middle and actually pretty logical based on the quality of the build.
GeorgeRud
Top notch restoration and probably not a bad deal when one looks at restoration costs. Glad the owner was happy with the result!
dlkawashima
Having seen the car in person, I can say without hesitation that it is one of the best 914-6 restorations I've seen ... spare no expense. I'm sure the owner spent more than "$5K - $6K on a frickin paint job."
altitude411
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jan 22 2017, 08:05 PM) *

Having seen the car in person, I can say without hesitation that it is one of the best 914-6 restorations I've seen ... spare no expense. I'm sure the owner spent more than "$5K - $6K on a frickin paint job."

agree.gif
The owner had to sell this car for personal reason's... not because he was trying to make a buck.I'm sure he had more into it then it sold for. It's not cheap or easy to get a car restored to this condition. Ask any of us who are trying. So when someone says are you smoking crack. It just shows your ignorance. I feel for this owner at having to sell. You spend your time building your dream, chasing the correct parts, dealing with bad vendors that just want to steal your money, buying rusted shit that people pass off as pristine and when you finally get it to somewhere close to what you dreamed of... you have to sell it. sad.gif

If it was easy... crack dealers would be doing it. dry.gif
smg914
A beautiful car for sure but I question the lack of detail. Puzzling why so many areas are wrong on a car that went through such a major restoration. The only thing I can deduce is that whoever did the restoration either didn't know the 914-6 or didn't care enough to do the research.
To name a few examples:
Headlight surrounds should be white not black.
Incorrect (late version) rear view mirror.
Euro rear lenses on a US car.
The fog light switch is in the wrong location
Rear window defogger switch is in the wrong location.
Front trunk lid cable catheter is painted orange (should be white)
Front alignment plates & bolts are painted orange (should be plated)
The top of shock towers should be coated with black undercoating.
The left front headlight motor is missing the manual black knob.
Some tools missing and some of the tools are incorrect.
VIN area on top of the inner wheel well should be painted orange.

altitude411
QUOTE(smg914 @ Jan 22 2017, 08:39 PM) *

A beautiful car for sure but I question the lack of detail. Puzzling why so many areas are wrong on a car that went through such a major restoration. The only thing I can deduce is that whoever did the restoration either didn't know the 914-6 or didn't care enough to do the research.
To name a few examples:

Those are all minor nit-pic shit. Please. dry.gif Does it stroke your ego to make a list like that? Arm chair quarter backs are a dime a dozen. This is a beautiful car
smg914
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Jan 22 2017, 07:44 PM) *

QUOTE(smg914 @ Jan 22 2017, 08:39 PM) *

To name a few examples:

Those are all minor nit-pic shit. Please. dry.gif Arm chair quarter backs are a dime a dozen. This is a beautiful car

You obviously didn't get my point.
altitude411
Obviously... I didn't realize you were a concourse judge flexing your muscles and shining your new badge. My apologies. pray.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(smg914 @ Jan 22 2017, 07:48 PM) *

You obviously didn't get my point.

No, no, it's a valid criticism. For the amount of effort (and expense) that went into the restoration, the car should be just about perfect. I have to admit that I noticed only the rear view mirror and the euro taillights. On the other hand, most of us can only dream of owning a car of this quality (I know you have several) and can forgive the minor flaws.
raynekat
I would add....if this much is obviously incorrect, how much more is there that is hidden that is not right? Just proves it's difficult to do these cars absolutely correct.

Still a great looking car.

There's another nice looking example on Ebay right now.
With a price of $150k.
Beauty.
Archie
I've sort of looked at the goings-on at BJ over the weekend, and the prices on all the cars seem to be awfully low, or is it just me?
altitude411
QUOTE(Archie @ Jan 22 2017, 11:54 PM) *

I've sort of looked at the goings-on at BJ over the weekend, and the prices on all the cars seem to be awfully low, or is it just me?

Some good deals. Depends how many serious bidders are interested in a particular car. Some added price to what you see bid are 10-15% premiums and cost to ship home or haul yourself, getting to and from the auction, hotels ect...
socal1200r
So it sold for $90K, and he had more than that into it?! On a 914?!

This is delusional, and apparently, if someone was willing to pay $90K for it, that delusional mentality is contagious.

I'm not saying it's not a nice car, it is, but not $90K nice, IMO. But hey, when you're talking supply and demand, opinions don't count for much, especially at an auction like that.

Glad that the owner sold it for that much, good for him. Just strengthens the market for all of us other 914 owners...
toolguy
QUOTE(socal1200r @ Jan 23 2017, 03:40 AM) *

This is delusional, and apparently, if someone was willing to pay $90K for it, that delusional mentality is contagious.

it's very easy to stick $60 grand in the parts, paint and motor to make one correct, with the real Six parts . . . not to mention the full year of labor it takes. . My last one hit 1800 hours when fully complete. . $90K is a correct price for this car
KELTY360

I'm not saying it's not a nice car, it is, but not $90K nice, IMO. But hey, when you're talking supply and demand, opinions don't count for much, especially at an auction like that.

Glad that the owner sold it for that much, good for him. Just strengthens the market for all of us other 914 owners...

Can't wait to see how much you ask when you sell your 914 because it wasn't worth a $5k paint job.
altitude411
QUOTE(socal1200r @ Jan 23 2017, 04:40 AM) *

LOL your batting 1000...another post to reaffirm your ignorance. smilie_pokal.gif
iwanta914-6
That Gooding six is amazing. I just don't have $90K for one.
socal1200r
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Jan 23 2017, 11:34 AM) *

QUOTE(socal1200r @ Jan 23 2017, 04:40 AM) *

LOL your batting 1000...another post to reaffirm your ignorance. smilie_pokal.gif

Well you guys just keep on drinking that 914 Kool-Aid...
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(socal1200r @ Jan 23 2017, 09:15 AM) *

No, just recognizing that the values of these cars are no longer the bargain they once were.

--DD
altitude411
QUOTE(socal1200r @ Jan 23 2017, 10:15 AM) *

..and you keep doing whatever it is your doing
Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jan 23 2017, 10:23 AM) *

it's very easy to stick $60 grand in the parts, paint and motor to make one correct, with the real Six parts . . . not to mention the full year of labor it takes. . My last one hit 1800 hours when fully complete. . $90K is a correct price for this car

To get a restoration to this level takes personal commitments, they include time,
enthusiasm, money, patience, research, deals, a dream and more.
The seller didn't make money. He gave it away.
GregAmy
I can't believe the level of dickishness in this thread - mostly from one person - is being tolerated here.
KELTY360
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 23 2017, 10:02 AM) *

I can't believe the level of dickishness in this thread - mostly from one person - is being tolerated here.

He's just a guy working with alternative facts. happy11.gif
championgt1
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 23 2017, 10:05 AM) *

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 23 2017, 10:02 AM) *

He's just a guy working with alternative facts. happy11.gif

av-943.gif
horizontally-opposed
Back on topic.

$90,000 is strong money, though exceptional "stock and original" 914-6s have reportedly sold for $110,000-130,000 in private sales over the last 12-24 months. No idea if those cars would have gone higher or lower in the current marketplace. A 912 coupe went for six figures in Scottsdale, so there's that too. Yes, crazy. But also: reality. I like 912s and 914-6s and 914s and garden variety early 911s, though my interest (for purchasing or daydreaming) becomes heavily curtailed at six figures. Would I buy my 914 today, over other automotive choices, if I hadn't been into 914s? Probably not. But a lot of the other cars I like have become similarly dear. Alfa Guilias, E30 M3s, and the list goes on...

And yes, there are a number of deviations from correct on this car, and there is nothing wrong with someone noting them in a thread like this one—discouraging that sort of intelligent and knowledgeable feedback, especially when it is shared in such an even and courteous manner—would be the opposite of what 914world is all about, wouldn't it? We are all here to learn, and to share what we know. If it's good info, there is nothing wrong with that.

Congratulations to the seller—it's a beautiful car, obviously built to your satisfaction with the goal of keeping it. Sorry you had to move it on, and I suspect for a net loss.
gcrotvik
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 23 2017, 03:20 PM) *

Back on topic.

$90,000 is strong money, though exceptional "stock and original" 914-6s have reportedly sold for $110,000-130,000 in private sales over the last 12-24 months. No idea if those cars would have gone higher or lower in the current marketplace. A 912 coupe went for six figures in Scottsdale, so there's that too. Yes, crazy. But also: reality. I like 912s and 914-6s and 914s and garden variety early 911s, though my interest (for purchasing or daydreaming) becomes heavily curtailed at six figures. Would I buy my 914 today, over other automotive choices, if I hadn't been into 914s? Probably not. But a lot of the other cars I like have become similarly dear. Alfa Guilias, E30 M3s, and the list goes on...

And yes, there are a number of deviations from correct on this car, and there is nothing wrong with someone noting them in a thread like this one—discouraging that sort of intelligent and knowledgeable feedback, especially when it is shared in such an even and courteous manner—would be the opposite of what 914world is all about, wouldn't it? We are all here to learn, and to share what we know. If it's good info, there is nothing wrong with that.

Congratulations to the seller—it's a beautiful car, obviously built to your satisfaction with the goal of keeping it. Sorry you had to move it on, and I suspect for a net loss.

Thanks, Pete. Well said.
carr914
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Jan 22 2017, 10:50 PM) *

Obviously... I didn't realize you were a concourse judge flexing your muscles and shining your new badge. My apologies. pray.gif

Hey Slappy, you were talking to THE 914-6 Expert! Have some respect and do your homework before the Brainpower of your pinkie goes to work!

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 23 2017, 01:02 PM) *

Yep
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.