Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matt Farrah Drives a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RogerYellow914
http://www.thedrive.com/flat-six-society/7...ile-porsche-914

You have to drive them to appreciate them..
matthepcat
There is a thread on this below yours.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=302939
Mike Bellis
Who is Matt Farrah and why should I care?
matthepcat
^^ old man comment ^^

wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 21 2017, 02:09 PM) *

agree.gif confused24.gif
914_teener
....one more reason not to have carbs on a -4 without dialing everything else in. Got to have it up to 3,500 just to hit the right torque range.

That's Angeles Crest Highway and I.ve pulled that incline in 4th with my 1.7 and D-jet.
billh1963
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 21 2017, 05:44 PM) *

agree.gif confused24.gif

Me too.

The world seems to have a lot of "celebrities" these day. I don't know who they are...nor, do I care to.
pbanders
He drives like a guy who has driven mostly automatics his whole life.
KELTY360
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 21 2017, 02:44 PM) *

agree.gif confused24.gif

agree.gif

...get offa my lawn!
matthepcat
I don't really care about guy, but I will say that in general he has appreciation for all type of cars. Probably driven more varieties of cars than any of us and has a good audience for the younger crowd. If anything I would say that he is expanding the interest of future car enthusiasts into more than the newest models. We know there are less and less kids interested in cars every year and I see his podcast and YouTube channel as being a good thing
zach914v8
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jan 21 2017, 08:20 PM) *

I don't really care about guy, but I will say that in general he has appreciation for all type of cars. Probably driven more varieties of cars than any of us and has a good audience for the younger crowd. If anything I would say that he is expanding the interest of future car enthusiasts into more than the newest models. We know there are less and less kids interested in cars every year and I see his podcast and YouTube channel as being a good thing

agree.gif
Porschef
First time I've ever even heard of the dude... But then again, I'm old...My BIL sent me the link to the video also, but he's into car vids. So I checked it out. He drives it pretty much like every noob does, stirring the big pot of soup trying to find the gears. Hell, the first time I drove my buddy's car, I jammed it into reverse at a stop, even tho I knew it had the dogleg... sheeplove.gif

Ahhh, the Angeles Crest, what a great road, used to drive up there with the old 911 and later with an RX-7. Great scenery and views, road always in great shape. Long Island ain't got nuthin' like that dry.gif dry.gif
Mike Bellis
Well, now I know who. But I still don't care... bootyshake.gif
forrestkhaag
agree.gif
sb914
My daughter shifts better then this guy! Cringed while watching!
billh1963
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 22 2017, 06:07 PM) *

Well, now I know who. But I still don't care... bootyshake.gif

Yep.

I did some quick research. He considers himself the "ultimate car guy". I guess he's considered a hero to the millenials because: 1. He can drive a stick shift (although the 914 casts doubt on that one) and 2. He doesn't live in his parent's basement. smile.gif

If you really want to see what a real car guy looks like, read some of Peter Egan's stuff. He doesn't say "fvck" every other word, he has restored multiple cars from the ground up, he races cars and motorcyles (and is a pilot as well) and thinks some cars have "souls".

Any real car guy knows that some cars have "souls". We talk to them (I do) and see our cars as more than transportation or something to try to get clicks on youtube.
mobymutt
My wife tried driving my 914, once and only once. Got about 100 feet up the road, then could only get it into reverse, and drove home backwards.

I've driven crappy shifting cars my whole life -- I think my 914 is in the middle of the pack, even in it's current state of disrepair.
krazykonrad
That was a cool video. Thanks for posting. The LA crowd is pretty spoiled for some scenic driving roads!
iwanta914-6
I just watched the video, well most of it. Still no clue why he's a "celebrity" since I don't care enough to search him. Seems like a Ferarri driving D-bag (mention of driving a 488 or something).

Are 914's really that difficult to shift? It's been 15+ years since I drove a manual (951), I'm sure if I get into a 914 at some point, it will be embarrassing to drive for a while, lol.
billh1963
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jan 23 2017, 10:11 PM) *

Are 914's really that difficult to shift? It's been 15+ years since I drove a manual (951), I'm sure if I get into a 914 at some point, it will be embarrassing to drive for a while, lol.

No...they aren't. If the bushings are in good shape they really aren't that big a deal. Of course, if you don't have experience driving a manual or you have no mechanical aptitude it may be tough.

When I bought my first one I hopped in and drove it 50+ miles. Other than the 901 not liking to be rushed (especially when cold) they just aren't that difficult.
TheCabinetmaker
I learned to drive in a 53 beetle. Shifting in a 914 was easy
horizontally-opposed
Matt may come off a lot of different ways on video, and I didn't know what to expect when I did a trip overseas with him, but it turns out he's absolutely a give-you-the-shirt-off-his-back kind of guy. When my video camera didn't work, he set me—a perfect stranger—up with a camera, mount, and card from his own kit. Couldn't have been nicer about it, or more genuine.

And he definitely knows how to drive a stick. Every 901 I've driven is a different acquired taste (of course, I feel mine shifts great!), but my suspicion is that car's bushings are toast, and/or its linkage could use a bit of adjustment. The carbs at those altitudes didn't help, adding pressure to master what probably felt like an already delicate shifter.

Sure is a pretty car, however, and I'll give Matt a lot of credit for "getting" the 914, and looking past the shifter and carb issues to praise the balance of the car.
914_teener
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 24 2017, 09:05 AM) *

Matt may come off a lot of different ways on video, and I didn't know what to expect when I did a trip overseas with him, but it turns out he's absolutely a give-you-the-shirt-off-his-back kind of guy. When my video camera didn't work, he set me—a perfect stranger—up with a camera, mount, and card from his own kit. Couldn't have been nicer about it, or more genuine.

And he definitely knows how to drive a stick. Every 901 I've driven is a different acquired taste (of course, I feel mine shifts great!), but my suspicion is that car's bushings are toast, and/or its linkage could use a bit of adjustment. The carbs at those altitudes didn't help, adding pressure to master what probably felt like an already delicate shifter.

Sure is a pretty car, however, and I'll give Matt a lot of credit for "getting" the 914, and looking past the shifter and carb issues to praise the balance of the car.

Not to flame the guy again or pile on, but why does he post judgement on the 914 when he goes to drive one that is hacked up and not an example of one that is set up right or running well? That's what I don't understand.

Why not drive a 2.0 with D-jet at 5000 ft. that has been restored? There are plenty of fine examples as originally set up around the LA area.

A "hot cam"...who knows what that means....even the owner doesn't know.

Maybe he is aiming his writing at a different audience. It is certainly not the audience here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.