Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributors.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Keith914
There are varying recommendations on suitable distributors for our Type IV engines with carburetors. Some advocate use of the 009 centrifugal advance only units. There are well written recommendations from "Bubblehead" and from "air-cooled.net", both advocating/explaining why SVDA (single vacuum, dual advance distributor, -- has centrifugal and vacuum advance operating independently) are the correct type as they provide some advance at lower rpm's that eliminate hesitation from idle, and give better mpg.

Some manufacturers no longer make these SVDA distributors, but fortunately others make them, including Petronix model D186504.

What does the "brain trust" say?
jmill
The PerTronix is a clone of the Bosch 034. I couldn't find the total advance for either. The 009 is known for its flat spot. A good SVDA dizzy will eliminate that as long as you run a vacuum line. Apparently the 034 has the same mechanical advance as the 009. If the Pertronix has 30 degrees of advance like the 050 it may be a good option.
Mark Henry
009 sucks on a T4 rolleyes.gif
cgnj
Hi,

You never said what you currently are running on you car.

If I were starting from scratch I would look at 123ignition product. Fully programmable but expensive. I read a recent post that Jake used this distributor instead of the Unilite.

Most of the distributors that are known are also NLA.

My preference is unilite, 050, 034, stock 1.8
Carlos

Keith914
Ordered Petronix SVDA model D186504 Flame Thrower distributor to eliminate the flat spot from early acceleration from idle. Will report results
JamesM
Unless you want to stay 100% stock, or just be cheap, I dont know why anyone would go with anything other than fully programmable at this point.
Keith914
Programable? Beyond my pay grade.
cgnj
Hi,
123 programable is over $500. That would get you more than halfway to megasquirt with spark and cop. Sill would have to tune.

Keith, what cam is in this car? I run 163/86b. It doesn't go till 3k.

Carlos
Keith914
I see I forgot to mention that I have a 009 flame thrower installed, so we will see what happens to the dead spot. My rebuilt engine was '72 1.7, and is now a 2.4 with twin Webers and a matching cam.
jmill
Webers also have a flat spot if the transition isn't right. It may be accompanied by a carb pop or just fall on its nose for a second.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.