Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: -6 oil tank kits?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
I know there are a ton of diy people here and since I am having another order of oil tanks laser cut I was wondering if anyone might be interested in a complete kit where you or a local welder could complete? They would be priced very attractively so it would be worth your while. Let me know who would be interested and would figure prices according to interest.
jd74914
Cool ideal. I might be interested. smile.gif
BeatNavy
I want to hear more. I may be in the market later this year.
jmill
idea.gif hmm. One can't have too many oil tanks.
914forme
Oh I am in for that, my son in law welds tanks for a living. Oh wait we aren't talking M1A2s happy11.gif

Aluminum or steel
mepstein
I'll take a kit. Will you weld it for me? lol-2.gif
forrestkhaag
And for the non concours set,... How about a build-concept where the tanks are built out of a one piece multi layer casting of, say,.. high temp resistant carbon fiber composite / kinda like race cars do it,... er... vacuum formed to exact spec to original / to fit the cutouts in the 914 engine bay and with mounting hardware built in. hmmm This is more interesting than the carbon fiber engine hatch i am delivering all over God's Creation... and having to put you guys thru the,... well you know...

evilgrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
Velios tried making fiberglass oil tanks years ago, with limited positive results.
mepstein
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Feb 13 2017, 08:23 PM) *

And for the non concours set,... How about a build-concept where the tanks are built out of a one piece multi layer casting of, say,.. high temp resistant carbon fiber composite / kinda like race cars do it,... er... vacuum formed to exact spec to original / to fit the cutouts in the 914 engine bay and with mounting hardware built in. hmmm This is more interesting than the carbon fiber engine hatch i am delivering all over God's Creation... and having to put you guys thru the,... well you know...

evilgrin.gif

In all seriousness, Ben is talking about a product that he currently makes (I have one in my car) he just recently improved (laser cut) and is trying to deliver to the 914 community in an optional lower cost, DIY kit.
Carbon fiber is certainly an interesting high tech material but not always the first choice for a project where limited budgets and small production runs are a concern.
porschetub
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Feb 14 2017, 11:58 AM) *

I want to hear more. I may be in the market later this year.

Are you moving to the dark side Luke... biggrin.gif ,if you do you will love it,your wife and bank manager won't .
mb911
Guys it would be of 5052 h32 aluminum just like the ones I weld complete for folks. A welded tank was 600 but will be going up to 700 which is still way cheaper then pms or anyone else out there. I am thinking a lot would be around half of that.

Still interested?
Mark Henry
So how much do you think these puppies will cost?
And are you going to do the filler neck?

I don't really need one, I have a DWD, but I guess I could always put one in stock.
Maybe one day the boy will have some interest in a /6, I have a good 2.7 core.
Mark Henry
On fiber glass tanks, they can handle the oil no problem, it's the heat. Epoxy gets real soft and combine this with the pressures or vacuum in a tank it would be a bad idea.
mb911
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 14 2017, 04:57 AM) *

So how much do you think these puppies will cost?
And are you going to do the filler neck?

I don't really need one, I have a DWD, but I guess I could always put one in stock.
Maybe one day the boy will have some interest in a /6, I have a good 2.7 core.

I currently make a turn key tank for as I said 700 and oil filler neck for 120. I will sell kits for the tank at approx 350-400 .depending on interest.. I hope that helps. I could do an oil filler neck kit for about 75.
mb911
So do we have 3 or 4 in for this?
BeatNavy
Ben, I'm still interested, although I'm not sure how much of a PITA it will be to find a solid aluminum welding service in my area or how much it will cost. I may end up doing as Mark joked about and having YOU do it smile.gif .

Thanks for doing this.
mb911
Ok so official pricing is $350 shipped usps. They are in cue at the laser cutters right now 7-10 business days for them to be ready.
mb911
Oh and if your looking for them to be welded add 350 more. biggrin.gif
914forme
Nice price piratenanner.gif
t collins
interested, please post pics of the kit being offered.
Thanks,
mb911
Will do when they comeback from laser cutter. I have been making tanks for a couple years now and have sheared to this point. They were taking 8 hours each start to finish so I had to move to laser cutting to save time. So I thought of offering the kits for diy people.
914forme
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 16 2017, 06:52 PM) *

Ok so official pricing is $350 shipped usps. They are in cue at the laser cutters right now 7-10 business days for them to be ready.

piratenanner.gif I am ready, don't want to rebuild the 2 stock tanks I have dry.gif
mb911
They are ordered so just waiting for them to come in from laser cutter.
mb911
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Just received 1st pieces. Looks nice.
mb911
So the samples I got were not ready for selling as kits but I have now corrected the drawings so now am ready to take orders for the kits. Ordering laser this coming week so those who want a kit now is time to speak up.
t collins
What are the options for the hose fittings and are they included in the price of the kit?
Thanks,
mb911
QUOTE(t collins @ Apr 7 2017, 01:45 PM) *

What are the options for the hose fittings and are they included in the price of the kit?
Thanks,

I will provide the cut outs, 2 -22mm female fittings, plumbing material, oil filter console base, oil filler neck tubing, 8mm threaded bosses for mounts , mesh material for baffles..
mb911
I know we have talked about this several times. Those that are serious about this pm me so we can get you on the list
mb911
Will have a few more kits ready today. Will sell each kit for $250 shipped for the holiday season.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.