Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center Console or No?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GregAmy
My '74 has the optional center console with the 3-gauge package; I currently have oil temp, pressure, and volts in there. I'm giving thought to removing that console entirely to give myself some more lateral knee room and stop my big feet from catching on the forward edge of the console body. I can relocate my oil temp reading back into the combo gauge, and if I feel the need for volts and pressure (eh) I can move those to the radio blocking plate (no need for radio, too busy enjoying driving!)

I've seen posts where folks have removed the console and liked it. Has anyone here removed the console and regretted it, or not installed it and wish they had? Anything else I'll need to buy except the combo gauge (already have it) and a replacement piece of central hump carpet from Mark (I trimmed mine when I installed it) and a shiny new shift boot?

- Greg

IPB Image
Andyrew
I prefer the short (depth) center console. But I have big feet and the factory center console makes the footwell cramped.
Mark Henry
I hate the console, I should sell mine it's just gathering dust on a shelf.
I can't drive a 914 with one without taking my shoe off.
GeorgeRud
Since I don't smoke, I simply moved my gauges up to the spot the ashtray took on the dash. However, this wouldn't work with the odd sized factory gauges.Click to view attachment l
GregAmy
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 15 2017, 05:36 PM) *

Since I don't smoke, I simply moved my gauges up to the spot the ashtray took on the dash. However, this wouldn't work with the odd sized factory gauges.

That's a nice idea! I wonder if our ashtray/iPhone clip guy could 3D-print something like that to slide in, maybe with the iPhone clip below it? I really like that clip and would hate to lose it.
mepstein
I always wanted a console, put it in the car and hated it. I did get a deposit box that I move in and out as I feel like it - never hard mounted it. It's just a press fit. Came from morph/james but I think 914rubber has them now. It's sturdier than the origional. It's a nice - catch all - on a longer drive.
pete000
My feet are too big, don't run a console in my six or four 914's
tomeric914
I jettisoned the center console almost immediately. It left no room for proper heel/toe.

I had one of those ashtray two gauge brackets for a while which was made by Rennemetal but it appears that their site is down. I may still have the bracket somewhere. Drop me a PM if you'd like me to look for it.

Click to view attachment
Coondog
Always had a center console in my 914s, i just got used to the knee, foot discomfort.

My vote is leave it in, makes the interior look complete.
pvollma
It's an expensive solution (~$500), but the carbon fiber console by Composite Dimensions is much sturdier and does not extend all the way to the front firewall, leaving room for your right foot.

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
I don't like the console at all. It seems sportier and bigger with it gone, more like my 356.

Just my preference, I'll never have one again.
Pursang
QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 15 2017, 05:10 PM) *

Always had a center console in my 914s, i just got used to the knee, foot discomfort.

My vote is leave it in, makes the interior look complete.

Add me to the list of those who prefer it. I like the original layout.
Michael N
In my 1970 I pulled out the deposit box because I am using the center seat belt for the third passenger. I think it makes the cab feel spacious without the box however extra gauges are always a plus. Tough decision for sure.
Porschef
When I bought my car, it had no console. I wanted to get one for a couple reasons, mostly to carry the multitude of gauges that it has as of now dry.gif

Factory clock, oil pressure, oil temp, head temp, AFR. While it's nice to have all that info, I never liked how my fat foot would get caught when getting off throttle. So, I removed the console, and narrowed the back piece to provide more room. While this helped, it wasn't perfect.

I do like having the factory clock with them analog hands goin' round and round, so I'd like to keep that, especially since it keeps perfect time. But with a new carpet set coming from Mark, I'm leaning toward leaving the console out. I'll have to find a place for the clock, and figger out which I'd like to keep, and where to put them. The A pillar option, while a bit ricey, is a strong possibility. So's a triple mount that hangs under the lower dash. Maybe I can find a chrony mount like some 911's have for the clock. Who knows.

Yeah, they look nice, but I might ditch mine. Hope my response doesn't leave you more indecisive... blink.gif
Chris914n6
I removed the factory console as my foot would get jammed. Replaced it with a 'shorty' with a cup holder and a cubby. Hides the shifter base and continues the storage bin theme.
914-300Hemi
I prefer mine and my big foot never gets caught.
Guess I'm just used to it.
amfab
Im a big console fan
JHop
Big fan of the console...am looking to buy one at this moment, actually! (as soon as I get my brakes figured out) I anyone is looking to get rid of one, I'd be interested.
RickS
Pulled mine out and added a quad gauge to the gauge cluster. Think the car looks cleaner, more sporting and got rid of useless weight. YMMV.
lvnzdrm
No center console in either of my cars. I'd like to add one to the 71' if anyone has one for sale it can collect dust in my garage. I like the look of the console.
rgolia
Back in the 70's and 80's when I drove my 914 everyday I took it out. It was definitely a problem with boots on. When I did my restoration a few years ago I put it back in. I like the look, but it does cramp the feet.
napasteve
I'm not a fan of the console so when I had to remove it for the SS fuel line project, I didn't put it back in. No regrets. I sold my console and the working clock. I mounted the temp and voltage gauges under the dash with an aftermarket mount. My first 914 (I owned it from 1979-1986) also had a console but back when I was young I never even thought about the pro vs. con console issue. Here is the current setup:

Click to view attachment
maf914
Steve, Could you say what brand and who sells the 2-gauge mounting bracket that you used? It appears to be a little different from the typical brackets I've seen. Thank you.

I don't have a center console, but would like to add a few gauges. I wish there was a reasonable source for Porsche style multi-gauges.
sfrenck
I had a short one (under A/C unit) and took it out when I took out the non-working A/C. Never realized how much my foot hit the thing until it was gone.

Ended up getting a combo gauge with oil pressure and ditching the clock and battery gauge.
GregAmy
QUOTE(lvnzdrm @ Feb 16 2017, 06:08 AM) *

No center console in either of my cars. I'd like to add one to the 71' if anyone has one for sale it can collect dust in my garage. I like the look of the console.

I'm leaning toward removal, but I want to see and drive with it out first to make a rational decision. Ping me in a month or so (car is still in storage until we get through CT's winter). I'll have all three factory gauges to go with it (clock, oil temp, volts, right?)
napasteve
Mike,

I bought it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NZ8EC...=UTF8&psc=1

I actually ended up buying several gauge holders and settled on this one. I needed to expand the openings a bit to make the gauges fit.
zach914v8
I am a +1 on no console. PITA to drive with one. Crams me up too much.
maf914
QUOTE(napasteve @ Feb 17 2017, 11:22 AM) *

Thanks, Steve. I'll check that out.
GregAmy
Just to wrap this topic up, my decision was...

No console.

I removed the console a week or so ago to see what it looked like, and I preferred the clean look. Snagged a combo gauge with oil temp and installed that, and today (a very rare early March warm day in Connecticut) I drove up to Tangerine Racing for assistance in repairing a bum left trunk hinge.

I honestly didn't miss the console today. Really, all it had become to me was a way to house three gauges, that, except for the oil temperature, I've decided I don't really need. Oil pressure indication is a direct inverse correlation to oil temperature and except for a catastrophic failure really doesn't offer much else over the dolt light; voltage was kinda nice but I've got a dolt light to tell me when the system is bunged up*; oil temperature is now in the combo gauge on the dash. I've got a clock on my phone.

And it was nice not having the console in the way of my feet.

A forum member has snagged the console and gauges, and I may decide to add oil pressure later (no radio, so that's a good slot; or maybe next to the cig lighter?) But otherwise I'm pretty OK with the clean look of a bare floorboard.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Now to find a way to retain the driver's carpet in place so it's not moving around (I don't have the pins in the floorboard...)

- Greg

*Unrelated note: I used to get heavy voltmeter fluctuations with turn signal and brake light use. When I swapped to LED bulbs at all four corners that issue went completely away.
dgraves
I'm convinced to remove my center console for the space. Can someone send me photo of their interior without the center console? I need options. Thanks for all the dialogue. Great to read what's going on out there.
GregAmy
Same car, without replacement center carpet bit and shift boot (both are enroute from 914Rubber).

IPB Image
IPB Image
dgraves
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Mar 6 2017, 02:56 PM) *

Same car, without replacement center carpet bit and shift boot (both are enroute from 914Rubber).

IPB Image
IPB Image

Did you have a Defrost On/Off Switch near your heater knob in the center console? I do. If you did, what did you do with it?

Thank you.
GregAmy
QUOTE(dgraves @ Mar 6 2017, 06:34 PM) *

Did you have a Defrost On/Off Switch near your heater knob in the center console? I do. If you did, what did you do with it?

There was a defrost button installed there in the center console when I bought it, but no defrost glass. The car came to me with a BUNCH of other parts from a disassembled '74; I think that console came out of that car, as there is much evidence that my car was not delivered with a console (hacked install, incorrect straight heater lever for console, incorrect wiring install, other things).

I may still have that switch in the garage attic parts boxes. PM me if you need it, I'll go take a look.

Just curious: how did you know?

EDIT: Just took a quick peek. What I thought was a switch is actually the indicator light, such as this one: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1546528

I actually have two of those (no wiring harness attached). Can you post a pic of the switch itself so I know what it looks like?
ndfrigi
removing mine too soon when I got new carpet.

Click to view attachment

dgraves
[quote name='GregAmy' date='Mar 6 2017, 05:45 PM' post='2461222']
[quote name='dgraves' post='2461220' date='Mar 6 2017, 06:34 PM']

My mistake. I have a Defrost Indicator light. It comes on when the red heater knob is pulled up. I suppose that I can just disconnect it. I haven't seen one on a car without the console.

Thanks again.
jor
Dgraves asked for a photo without center console. I have a fire extinguisher where the center console should be and moved the gauges to a 904-replica ancillary. More useful, I think. Really, though, I just like the more open feel of the cabin without the console.

Click to view attachment
dgraves
QUOTE(jor @ Mar 13 2017, 12:15 PM) *

Dgraves asked for a photo without center console. I have a fire extinguisher where the center console should be and moved the gauges to a 904-replica ancillary. More useful, I think. Really, though, I just like the more open feel of the cabin without the console.

Click to view attachment

Thanks for that photo. My 914 came with 5 gauge space 911 dash, so I think I'm saying adios to the console. Is that Chrome Yellow on your car. That's what I'm thinking for paint.
jor
I don't think you'll miss the console.

My car is Ravenna Green; the photo washed out in light. I attach a photo of the car at TLG in North Hollywood.

Click to view attachment
9fourteen14
speaking of the center console......
(reminder) I have a 74 2.0
i see pictures of consoles and sometimes the clock is on top and sometimes
they are in the middle.

what gives.. why is this?

also mine and many others clock is not working.....
I have never felt the time was worth getting it working.
is this the way others feel .. is that why theirs is not working.

actually today i checked mine and it is connected but the time is not
correct.... it never changes why?

thanx y'all this is an awesome forum.
lots of GREAT info here.

914 luva in MA
Rand
I get keeping the console for originality on cars that came with it. But it's an obnoxious obstacle otherwise. So much space taken up for 3 gauges. The gauges should go up in the dash. Shave the ash tray and fit them into the dash face (rather than adding them in a way that looks like an afterthought in place of an old ash tray). I know, that's a lot of custom work, but also why I like it smile.gif Then again, I'm ok with eliminating all the heater/vent controls and radio space (perfect real estate)!
mepstein
aktion035.gif
porschetub
My car had one but long gone when I bought it from PO,really there are other places for the gauges unless you are a show car guy.
Who really needs a clock these days .
No I wouldn't have one,not my thing.
gms
I have wide feet so the console interferes with accelerating.
My 914
I think the console gives the car a sportier look and it provides a place for my right knee to lean on in the corners.
oakdalecurtis
I'm 6'4 with size 13 shoes, here's my multistep solution to add leg and foot room. I love my center console and built a raised section under my right arm for comfortable driving. The lamb's wool is a cover over the extended inner seatbelt, neccesitated by the raised center console. To increase leg room, I reduced the steering wheel diameter with a Momo wheel and raised it an inch with a JWest eccentric wheel spacer. Then I moved the shifter about an inch to the right. To add foot room, I cut off the brake pedal and rewelded it to the brake pedals's right edge, adding about an inch to the gas pedal foot space. Plenty of room for my long legs and big feet now! Here's a few pics:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Porschef
I had posted in a different thread earlier about almost ditching my console, but two things changed that; I installed a different shifter that wasn't so badly canted to the left so that it would be rubbing against my leg constantly, and, I reconfigured the plywood spacer at the front of the console to make a whole lot of additional space for my foot. Now it's an entirely different, and much better experience.

Of course, I don't have a pic... dry.gif
1adam12
Hello All! Just curious if the center deposit option causes the same interference as the appearance pkg gauge version does. I guess I'll find out soon when I pick up my first 914 this week as it comes with it.
kgruen2
I like my center console. It has three digital gauges, CHT, Oil Temp, and Volts. I later added an analog Oil Pressure gauge (easier to interpret position of the needle at a glance than to decipher numbers).
For those that hate theirs and have parts laying around, I could use the trim piece that fits into the slot for the heater lever. Anyone?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.