Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 Daytona 500 Pace car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamie
I was just looking through the list of Daytona 500 pace cars and learned that a 914/6 was the pace car in 1971, one of only 2 non-USA branded cars to have that distinction. This is just a bit of trivia info for us true 914 owners! beerchug.gif Trivia#2, what was the only non-USA brand to serve as pace car?
Tom_T
Jaime, like this?

Click to view attachment

Porsche+Audi was using that race & others with 914 pace cars & safety cars as part of their ad campaign, as in the ads below (not D-500, obviously), & building on the 914-6's racing successes. The old "Race on Sunday, sell on Monday" adage!

The first ad below was also part of the "The ________ Porsche" series of ads for the 914s.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I can't find my ad pic of the 914-6 Race Record with all wins & one loss, titled: "You Can't Win Them All" - so maybe someone else will post it here for you? confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
rgalla9146
Looks like the 500 was the only race paced by a 6
The others look like 4s
sixnotfour
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 25 2017, 11:42 AM) *

The others look like 4s

agree.gif
what color was the Daytona -6 ??
Tom_T
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 25 2017, 10:42 AM) *

The others look like 4s

No, it's just the only one I have on this laptop! biggrin.gif

I don't know what color the Daytona one was,

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
74ravenna
Where is it today?

Steve
914Sixer
At one point George at AA had one of the -4 pace cars. He bought it from the first owner. It had all the decals on it. Not sure where it is today.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 25 2017, 10:48 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 25 2017, 11:42 AM) *

The others look like 4s

agree.gif
what color was the Daytona -6 ??

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=29783&st=0

http://www.mamodels.com/shop/sports-cars/9...1-daytona-race/

IPB Image

struckn
Took this picture of this one was at the AACA Museum during the Porsche Swap Meet a couple years ago. The Driver was Mark Donahue.

IPB Image
KELTY360
QUOTE(struckn @ Feb 26 2017, 05:53 PM) *

Took this picture of this one was at the AACA Museum during the Porsche Swap Meet a couple years ago. The Driver was Mark Donahue.

IPB Image

That wasn't a pace car; it was a prize given to the winner. However, the pace car for that weekend was also a 914. Here's a link for more info: 1973 Riverside IROC
Tom_T
QUOTE(struckn @ Feb 26 2017, 05:53 PM) *

IPB Image

Well in any case, it looks like they found another use for the rear tits! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 26 2017, 06:31 PM) *

That wasn't a pace car; it was a prize given to the winner. However, the pace car for that weekend was also a 914. Here's a link for more info: 1973 Riverside IROC

Great pix Marc!

It brings back memories of my buddies & I going out there a few times back in the day - especially "The end"! happy11.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mark Henry
The first F1 safety/pace car was a yellow 914 at the 1973 Mosport Canadian Grand Prix.
gms
This is Alan Johnson in a Ginther prepared roadster taking a victory lap
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(gms @ Feb 27 2017, 12:07 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Thanx Glenn,

I figured it was a victory lap car cuz it looked like the racer version with the low wind deflector "windscreen" & didn't know if it was a Ginther car, but am not as versed on the race & pace/safety car details as are some of you guys.

So your, Mark Henry's, Marc in OR etc.'s expertise in that area is greatly appreciated!

I'm surprised that TC hasn't chimed in yet with a gazillion of his pix from the races - one each per post of course, to keep his count max'ed out! biggrin.gif

I included it anyway, along with pix of a couple of 914 safety cars, just for the Halibut.

I like the old school PORSCHE+AUDI logo on the side of it too.

There's a guy in SoCal who has restored one of Chick Iverson Porsche+Audi VW Bus delivery/parts runner buses with the it's original colors & that P+A logo.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
ConeDodger
Our member, Brian Adkins has the Canadian Grand Prix Pace Car...
Tom_T
I recall at one of the first Long Beach GPs, which I went to during my college years (73 or 74), had a yellow 914-2.0 running around the track/pits/streets, but I don't think it was a pace car - maybe a safety car, or maybe just a promo lap for the local P+A dealers.

I think it was the Toyota GP back then too, so it was odd to have a non-sponsor car running around there, but maybe they were a secondary sponsor & got some "fan face time"? confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Pursang
Great thread y'all. Thanks for sharing. Made my day.
SKL1
My sister lived in Daytona in the 70's and knew one of the PR guys at the track. He took me around the banking in a 914-6 for a few laps and I got a card saying "member of the 100 mph club"...
IIRC there were a couple 6's at the track- this was in '71 or '72 I believe.
Probably one of the same cars. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it- a little before the cell phone era smile.gif

(back in the early 70's, my dad was a race physician at several races at Blackhawk Farms and paced several races in his bahia red '71 914... I was a corner worker at the time)
Tom_T
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Feb 27 2017, 06:50 PM) *

My sister lived in Daytona in the 70's and knew one of the PR guys at the track. He took me around the banking in a 914-6 for a few laps and I got a card saying "member of the 100 mph club"...
IIRC there were a couple 6's at the track- this was in '71 or '72 I believe.
Probably one of the same cars. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it- a little before the cell phone era smile.gif

(back in the early 70's, my dad was a race physician at several races at Blackhawk Farms and paced several races in his bahia red '71 914... I was a corner worker at the time)

I gave both of my kids rides in my BMW 325e to join the 100 mph club too! happy11.gif

My son was quite disappointed that Big Sis' got to go first, but he wasn't with me on that 1st trip through the desolate desert road.
So he was happy once he got his turn. biggrin.gif

Perhaps he'll get the chance again in my 914 when it's up & running again!? confused24.gif driving.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
carr914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 27 2017, 03:19 PM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Feb 27 2017, 12:07 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I'm surprised that TC hasn't chimed in yet with a gazillion of his pix from the races - one each per post of course, to keep his count max'ed out! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

biggrin.gif

I've owned a Pace Car, it just wasn't a Porsche!

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 28 2017, 03:13 AM) *

biggrin.gif

I've owned a Pace Car, it just wasn't a Porsche!

Click to view attachment

P1800's are cool cars too, Mr. Templer ... errr TC! smile.gif

A Jamaican college architecture classmate & soccer teammate had a great Bronze `73 1800ES that was gorgeous, & could hold also the team's game gear for matches! drooley.gif

But I'm sure you must have many pace cars in your years of photographing at races there in FL etc.! confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.