Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mid-Engine Invasion - Official thread - April 21-22, 2017
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
stevegm
It's official. Mid-Engine Invasion is on. Here are the plans:

FRIDAY BAR-B-QUE:
We are going to meet at Bob's house on Friday for a small bar-b-qua. Come whenever you like between 11:30 am and 1:00 pm. Bob and I are sponsoring the bar-b-qua. BYOB.

Bob's house is:
9 Mary Drive
Dillsburg, PA 17019

FRIDAY RALLY/DRIVE:
At about 1:00 pm we will leave Bob's house of the rally/drive. During the drive we will stop at Air-Cooled Racing's shops. It should be a good time.

FRIDAY DINNER:
The drive will end at Hoss's Steak and Seahouse (9009 Bridge Rd, Hummelstown, PA 17036), at around 6:00 - 6:00, where we can all have dinner. This is a nice, casual restaurant (real casual), that can accommodate our size group.

SATURDAY:
Saturday morning, we will meet at the Dunkin Donutes near the swap meet to caravan to the People's Choice show. Last year I think we met at 7:00 am. The swap meet opens at 7:30 am.

Dunkin Donuts
621 Park Ave
Hershey, PA 17033

_________

We are starting to organize this year's Hershey, PA Mid-Engine Invasion. Mark is handling swap meet spaces. Bob has volunteered to plan the Friday drive/rally. Thanks guys. I will post event details in the next week or so. Can't wait.

Let's start a list of who's planning to do the Friday activities?

saigon71
mepstein
stevegm
Big Len
914dave
Yellow75
r_towle
Rocket
rgolia
struckn
BeatNavy
dcheek
TM_Corey
Garold Shaffer - would like to ride with someone for the Friday drive
Brad Mayer - would like to ride with someone for the Friday drive
Porschef
Amphicar770
Big Len
Steve - Thanks so much for all the work involved.
r_towle
if nothing terrible happens, we will be there.
I think last years excuse is totally valid..

rich
914dave
I'll be there.
yellow75
yeah if BUTTERZ is back together by then, I'll be there..
r_towle
QUOTE(yellow75 @ Mar 1 2017, 08:10 AM) *

yeah if BUTTHERTZ is back together by then, I'll be there..

Fixed it for you
rgolia
I will be there with my very bright yellow 914. Count me in on the Friday drive and thanks to all those on the organization team. If you need help in any way let me know. The only thing I will not do is stay at the nights inn.
struckn

I'm good for Friday, wouldn't miss it. Thanks! driving.gif

Also, something to mention and think about. We all did the Concourse last year on Saturday in order to have a meeting place to gather. It worked out nicely. Here is what I read in the this Month's PCA Club New letter. The entry into Hershey on Saturday costs $20, and the cost to enter the Concourse this year will be an additional $20. I think it was $10 last year so it will cost more this year. The thing to remember however is the Goody Bag they gave those who enter Concourse had some really nice things that probably was close to the entry cost. You decide, I'm in for it if we want to repeat doing the Concourse..

Doug in Shrewsbury/New Freedom, South Central Pa.
(aka Struckn)
stevegm
IIRC the concourse is a people's choice thing. Last year those that wanted to do it met at the donut shop and we all caravaned over to enter the show. I was thinking we'd do the same thing this year. Bummer that they raised the cost.
BeatNavy
In for Friday drive, Friday dinner, and the people's concourse if that's the general group consensus. I'm just there to make the other cars look good. We all have a role to play, and I know mine.
dcheek
QUOTE(struckn @ Mar 1 2017, 02:22 PM) *

I'm good for Friday, wouldn't miss it. Thanks! driving.gif

Also, something to mention and think about. We all did the Concourse last year on Saturday in order to have a meeting place to gather. It worked out nicely. Here is what I read in the this Month's PCA Club New letter. The entry into Hershey on Saturday costs $20, and the cost to enter the Concourse this year will be an additional $20. I think it was $10 last year so it will cost more this year. The thing to remember however is the Goody Bag they gave those who enter Concourse had some really nice things that probably was close to the entry cost. You decide, I'm in for it if we want to repeat doing the Concourse..

Doug in Shrewsbury/New Freedom, South Central Pa.
(aka Struckn)

WOW! 40 bucks! That makes the All Air Cooled Gathering I help run in September a real bargain at $15 for car and driver, and it's a judged event.

Dave
TM_Corey
I'm in to hang out on Friday if it's still happening in the evening. I'm taking the kids to Gettysburg and Flight 93 memorial on the way, so I bet we don't get there until 7pm'ish.

Hoping to bring the 2.0 and the C2S
GaroldShaffer
Brad and I will be in for Friday's fun. Of course we may need a ride since we will have the truck & trailer.
Porschef
Barring any unforseen circustances I'll be there for the driving.gif Friday. Comimg solo, so if anyone needs a ride, i have an empty seat...
Amphicar770
Last year my 914 was not ready in time. This year looking forward to it.
BENBRO02
My 914 is in the shop becoming roadworthy $$$. Probably won't make Friday but I can't wait for Saturday. I need a 5th Fuchs for my spare.
stevegm
Bob and I worked on the plans over the weekend. Here is a tentative rundown of what we are thinking. Official details will be posted by the end of the week.

We are thinking about meeting between 11:30 and 1:00 on Friday for a bar-b-q lunch. The drive will start at 1 pm. We are hoping to end the drive at a different restruant that can better accommodate us. Underdogs is nice. But, it isn't large enough for us. So we have another place in mind for Friday night. Saturday, we will meet at the donut shop and caravan to the People's Choice Car show at the swap meet.
BillC
Where are people staying? I'm going to come up for the swap meet, but don't yet know if I can make it on Friday. So, if it turns out I can make it, I'll need to find a hotel room pretty quick, preferably one with a low risk of disease, injury or theft (read some of the earlier threads). blink.gif
r_towle
Add Rocket, my co-pilot
ratsterr
I should be showing up with 3 others, so 4 in total.
dcheek
Where is everybody staying Friday night? I've seen in previous years there have been some questionable motels that have been used.

Dave
stevegm
There isn't an official hotel. In years past many people have stayed at the Knights Inn in Palmyra, and that's where the famous Friday late-night hang out is. But I've never stayed there. So I can't speak to the conditions. We always just find a hotel nearby Hershey.
dcheek
QUOTE(stevegm @ Mar 7 2017, 05:00 AM) *

There isn't an official hotel. In years past many people have stayed at the Knights Inn in Palmyra, and that's where the famous Friday late-night hang out is. But I've never stayed there. So I can't speak to the conditions. We always just find a hotel nearby Hershey.

What is the go to hotel this year?

Dave
914dave
Some of us are at the Super 8. If you check the unofficial Hershey thread some of the others posted where they will be.

Looks like I will have an open seat on Friday. Will be sure a little later.

BBQ sounds like a great way to kick off the weekend.
Big Len
The People's Choice Awards admission price has not been raised. It is the same as last year ($30). The Porsche Corral is where to park your car if it's for sale and that is $40. I hope most attendees add their car to the show regardless of condition. First, it's the best parking spot around (next to the food and bathrooms) and second, another strong showing will hopefully convince the PA PCA to have a separate category for 914s and not lump us in with Caymans and Boxsters.
r_towle
I have not been following the show part of the event since we first went down, but I would love to hear the illogic of putting 914's in with boxsters.

Seems three classes would do then
Rear engine
Mid engine
Water cooled

Or, there could be two classes
Us
Them
Big Len
Rich - You'd have to add front engine too.

Here are their categories - http://cpa-pca.org/swap/2017/index.html
stevegm
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 18 2017, 10:18 AM) *

I have not been following the show part of the event since we first went down, but I would love to hear the illogic of putting 914's in with boxsters.

Rear engine
Mid engine
Water cooled

Us
Them

I have discussed it with PCA a number of times. The answer is that, given the small number on Boxster and Cayman entrants, there are not a sufficient number of cars to split the class. It will remain a mid-engine class. There is nothing we can do about that, shirt of each of us taking our 914 and a Boxster or Cayman too, so they have enough to split it up. idea.gif
Matty900
I was hoping to have my car ready and trailer it out from Oregon. We just picked it up from the bodyshop this morning so I don't think that I want to rush it this year. So I will be flying out for the weekend with Scott from the shop (914rubber). We would love to be able to ride with people on Friday if seats are available.
Matty900
I was hoping to have my car ready and trailer it out from Oregon. We just picked it up from the bodyshop this morning so I don't think that I want to rush it this year. So I will be flying out for the weekend with Scott from the shop (914rubber). We would love to be able to ride with people on Friday if seats are available.
r_towle
QUOTE(stevegm @ Mar 18 2017, 10:30 AM) *

Rear engine
Mid engine
Water cooled

Us
Them

I have discussed it with PCA a number of times. The answer is that, given the small number on Boxster and Cayman entrants, there are not a sufficient number of cars to split the class. It will remain a mid-engine class. There is nothing we can do about that, shirt of each of us taking our 914 and a Boxster or Cayman too, so they have enough to split it up. idea.gif

not valid.
how many 356 show? 4-5?

stevegm
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 18 2017, 05:10 PM) *

Rear engine
Mid engine
Water cooled

Us
Them

not valid.
how many 356 show? 4-5?

I didn't say it was a good answer. It is just the one they always give me.
r_towle
Well, some views never change.
We could, just sayin, all vote for the car we all agree should win.
struckn
QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 18 2017, 05:27 AM) *

The People's Choice Awards admission price has not been raised. It is the same as last year ($30). The Porsche Corral is where to park your car if it's for sale and that is $40. I hope most attendees add their car to the show regardless of condition. First, it's the best parking spot around (next to the food and bathrooms) and second, another strong showing will hopefully convince the PA PCA to have a separate category for 914s and not lump us in with Caymans and Boxsters.

Thanks Len, you're right! The cost to enter the Concourse Area did not go up this year. So, parking your car in the Swap Parking Area is $20 and then to park in Concourse People's Choice Awards Area is an additional $10 for a Total of $30. You only get a nice Goody Bag for entering the Concourse, worth most of the entry cost, so it's a Win Win for us to gather there.

piratenanner.gif
Big Len
Steve - I just ordered two official Hershey T shirts, but any new invasion T shirts for this year?

McMark
Dang! I have commitments that weekend. So far this year isn't off to a good start for going to more events. sad.gif
stevegm
It's official. Mid-Engine Invasion is on. Here are the plans:

FRIDAY BAR-B-QUE:
We are going to meet at Bob's house on Friday for a small bar-b-qua. Come whenever you like between 11:30 am and 1:00 pm. Bob and I are sponsoring the bar-b-qua. BYOB.

FRIDAY RALLY/DRIVE:
At about 1:00 pm we will leave Bob's house of the rally/drive. During the drive we will stop at Air-Cooled Racing's shops. It should be a good time.

FRIDAY DINNER:
The drive will end at Hoss's Steak and Seahouse (9009 Bridge Rd, Hummelstown, PA 17036), at around 6:00 - 6:00, where we can all have dinner. This is a nice, casual restaurant (real casual), that can accommodate our size group.

SATURDAY:
Saturday morning, we will meet at the Dunkin Donutes near the swap meet to caravan to the People's Choice show.

Someone asked about doing a t-shirt again this year. So, I will put a design together, and post details soon.
rgolia
How do we find Bob's house? You guys are the bomb for doing this.....cannot wait. piratenanner.gif
914dave
Sweet. Ralph we should caravan out together. And anyone else coming out the turnpike or up from 476.
rgolia
QUOTE(914dave @ Mar 22 2017, 12:45 PM) *

Sweet. Ralph we should caravan out together. And anyone else coming out the turnpike or up from 476.

Sounds like a plan.
stevegm
QUOTE(rgolia @ Mar 22 2017, 12:27 PM) *

How do we find Bob's house? You guys are the bomb for doing this.....cannot wait. piratenanner.gif

I just added his address to the first post. I wanted to make sure he was ok with me posting it before I put it in the post.
lvnzdrm
I am planning on driving up Friday AM. I look forward to meeting everyone. Please add my name to the list. If anyone wants to meet and drive in from the South let me know.

Jon
struckn
QUOTE(stevegm @ Mar 18 2017, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 18 2017, 05:10 PM) *

Rear engine
Mid engine
Water cooled

Us
Them

not valid.
how many 356 show? 4-5?

I didn't say it was a good answer. It is just the one they always give me.

I think another good argument would be the age, or era of the 914's, verses the newer Boxster/Caymans. We basically are showing Antique Porsche's and there should be a special award.
TM_Corey
Looks like I will probably be there by the 6pm dinner on Friday.

So will my wife be scolded for following us in Saturday morning in the 911S? We are planning on bringing both cars with a kiddo in each car. Should be a blast of a trip!!

Hopefully my 914 runs well. It will only have been on the road for a week or two from its resto-driver rebuild and motor rebuild.
hot_shoe914
I plan to be at the bar b que with a +1 but probably won't make the drive. Not sure all those little cars could keep up with my Duramax!

Shoe
beerchug.gif
TM_Corey
Not looking good for me! My car will be done, but the bumpers promised to me in 6 weeks are now shipping in "16" weeks. Doesn't look like I'll have them until the end of May. This sucks...
BillC
QUOTE(TM_Corey @ Mar 29 2017, 09:44 AM) *

Not looking good for me! My car will be done, but the bumpers promised to me in 6 weeks are now shipping in "16" weeks. Doesn't look like I'll have them until the end of May. This sucks...

What bumpers are you waiting for? I have a spare set of bumpers that came off a '74, that I was going to eventually repaint and install on my car. I can loan them to you until you get the ones you ordered. Or, I'll sell them to you for what I paid. The "catch" is that they need to be painted -- the front is currently maroon-ish and the rear is bare steel.
TM_Corey
QUOTE(BillC @ Mar 29 2017, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(TM_Corey @ Mar 29 2017, 09:44 AM) *

What bumpers are you waiting for? I have a spare set of bumpers that came off a '74, that I was going to eventually repaint and install on my car. I can loan them to you until you get the ones you ordered. Or, I'll sell them to you for what I paid. The "catch" is that they need to be painted -- the front is currently maroon-ish and the rear is bare steel.

I appreciate the offer, if I cant come up with a local solution I'll definitely PM you. I'm waiting on a stainless steel set of early type bumpers without bumperette holes.

I'll be coming regardless, just won't be in the car unless I can find a bumper set to at least borrow.

Maybe wooden bumpers would work... shades.gif
Big Len
I don't know if Linda and I will make it in time for the BBQ. If we can't, how can we meet up along the route? Will the directions be posted later? Thanks.
rgolia
QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 31 2017, 10:29 AM) *

I don't know if Linda and I will make it in time for the BBQ. If we can't, how can we meet up along the route? Will the directions be posted later? Thanks.

Len - do you or Linda have an iphone? If so I can give you my number and we can use the tracking feature for you to find us.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.