Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 2.0L, salvage title, in rough shape, possible LE.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
williethewimp
Hi all,

My mother gave me a 1974 914 about 14 years ago, and mentioned it might be a limited edition. It has sat in my driveway for 14 years, neglected. It is not in good shape.

I have gone over the markers on Jeff's CanAm register information page, and it does match some of the indications: Paint code matches the black (L-041), it has the front spoiler (aftermarket), is VIN number 4742914557 (right in the middle of the production run), the targa bar does not have vinyl and looks original, etc.

However, it has some problems: it has a salvage title due to a flood, it has been painted all black, the engine has been replaced with a 1973 2.0L, some of the trim does not match, and it is in really rough shape. It would need a serious rebuild plus rust mitigation to bring back to a nice condition.

Here are the details:

Engine number = GA000215
Chassis number = 0759527
Paint code = L-041
VIN=4742914557

The car is located in Northern CA, near Sacramento. I created a photo album of all the pics, showing the good/bad/ugly.

Overall, I think it is worth $2500, but I am open to offers.

On a side note: I want to thank Jeff B. for his advice with this car. He has been super helpful. I wish I had the time/money to restore this car, but the salvage title is a deal killer.

Todd

Click to view attachment
billh1963
I've seen worse restored.

If it is an LE, sell it on BAT or ebay....you'll get more
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 20 2017, 09:51 AM) *

I've seen worse restored.

If it is an LE, sell it on BAT or ebay....you'll get more

agree.gif

I would call Porsche and get a verbal if it is a LE or not. If a LE I would spring for a COA then list it on Ebay & Bring a trailer.

lostreasure
chrome bumpers? wheels have no indication they were ever yellow? chrome around rear sail panel? rockers should have yellow on underside?
Sea Dragon 914
The chrome bumpers would indicate that it isn't an LE. The rear trim is the right color but the anodize or whatever they did to blacken it looks correct.

The other indicator is the lack of vinyl but that isn't even an absolute. My 73 2.0 which I bought from the original owner never had the vinyl though most literature indicates that they all came with the Appearance Package which included vinyl.

The other thing you can check is behind the front spoiler. If it was an LE, it will have two mounting brackets that were attached as support for the LE spoiler. If it doesn't have them, it definitely isn't an LE.

If you decide to part out, I'm interested in the wheels and the passenger side rocker if it isn't too rusty.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(williethewimp @ Mar 19 2017, 10:52 PM) *

On a side note: I want to thank Jeff B. for his advice with this car. He has been super helpful.

If he's been talking to Jeff, then I'm sure he's walked him through all of the important areas when determining if it has a chance of being a LE.
williethewimp
Jeff was very helpful, but he could not say yes or no as he did not see it in person. In the end, I tried to be very honest: some parts look right, others do not. So, I have no idea. I would treat it as a gamble.

Todd

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Mar 20 2017, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(williethewimp @ Mar 19 2017, 10:52 PM) *

On a side note: I want to thank Jeff B. for his advice with this car. He has been super helpful.

If he's been talking to Jeff, then I'm sure he's walked him through all of the important areas when determining if it has a chance of being a LE.

Chris914n6
First time I've seen seat brackets rust off, so safe to say it's going to need new floors and because of the flooding bottom of the rockers are probably toast too. Add the rear trunk and likely the front trunk and it's a major time/money investment.

LE carries more value for being special, but salvage title kills that as a collectable. Floods kill engines and trannys so that's an investment too. So basically you've got a rusty CA parts car with no special value unless someone really wants to save an LE, assuming the numbers match.

Targa top has been painted, so all bets are off for the typical signs of an LE.
JoeDees
delete
87m491
Hhmmm, removing these bolt up supports doesn't unmake an LE.

QUOTE(Sea Dragon 914 @ Mar 20 2017, 12:01 PM) *

If it was an LE, it will have two mounting brackets that were attached as support for the LE spoiler. If it doesn't have them, it definitely isn't an LE.

TonyA
QUOTE(williethewimp @ Mar 19 2017, 11:52 PM) *

Hi all,

My mother gave me a 1974 914 about 14 years ago, and mentioned it might be a limited edition. It has sat in my driveway for 14 years, neglected. It is not in good shape.

I have gone over the markers on Jeff's CanAm register information page, and it does match some of the indications: Paint code matches the black (L-041), it has the front spoiler (aftermarket), is VIN number 4742914557 (right in the middle of the production run), the targa bar does not have vinyl and looks original, etc.

However, it has some problems: it has a salvage title due to a flood, it has been painted all black, the engine has been replaced with a 1973 2.0L, some of the trim does not match, and it is in really rough shape. It would need a serious rebuild plus rust mitigation to bring back to a nice condition.

Here are the details:

Engine number = GA000215
Chassis number = 0759527
Paint code = L-041
VIN=4742914557

The car is located in Northern CA, near Sacramento. I created a photo album of all the pics, showing the good/bad/ugly.

Overall, I think it is worth $2500, but I am open to offers.

On a side note: I want to thank Jeff B. for his advice with this car. He has been super helpful. I wish I had the time/money to restore this car, but the salvage title is a deal killer.

Todd

Click to view attachment

williethewimp
Hi all,

Followup: The car is sold, and while we were loading it on the trailer, I saw lots of bright yellow paint behind the lower valance (?), inside the front wheel well. So, another sign that the jury is out. smile.gif

So, the car is off to a new owner. Thanks for all of the advice and commentary.

Todd

QUOTE(87m491 @ Mar 22 2017, 09:15 AM) *

Hhmmm, removing these bolt up supports doesn't unmake an LE.

QUOTE(Sea Dragon 914 @ Mar 20 2017, 12:01 PM) *

If it was an LE, it will have two mounting brackets that were attached as support for the LE spoiler. If it doesn't have them, it definitely isn't an LE.

billh1963
Now on ebay for the flip:

Possible LE flip
rgb91424
The vin is 17 #S previous to my LE which I sold in 2007. "574"

Chris914n6
Sold for $6400 on evilbay. Should have left out the part about it being a flood victim poke.gif

J/K I respect the honesty. Let's see how the new owner feels when they find out ar15.gif stromberg.gif
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 3 2017, 03:19 PM) *

Sold for $6400 on evilbay. Should have left out the part about it being a flood victim poke.gif

J/K I respect the honesty. Let's see how the new owner feels when they find out ar15.gif stromberg.gif

$6400? WTF.gif
billh1963
Wonder if the flipper is a world member?
Cairo94507
I get confused confused24.gif when an owner goes to the trouble to check the car out and then does not just dial up PCNA to verify if the VIN is a LE. I would have done that and then put it on eBay.

He likely sold it for around $2K and left $4K on the table. Oh well, hopefully the new owner loves his purchase and is a member here.
deemsriddle
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 3 2017, 05:07 PM) *

I get confused confused24.gif when an owner goes to the trouble to check the car out and then does not just dial up PCNA to verify if the VIN is a LE. I would have done that and then put it on eBay.

He likely sold it for around $2K and left $4K on the table. Oh well, hopefully the new owner loves his purchase and is a member here.

I have owned 3 bumblebees. The original engine and probably transmission were lost, probably in the flood. It had a salvage title from said flood. I watched it bid up from $3600.00 4 minutes from the end to $6400.00. In the past I have not paid attention to originality and have been burned. Now, I am a little conservative when it comes to originality. I think both the buyer and seller did well
JeffBowlsby
new_shocked.gif
Chris914n6
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 3 2017, 01:55 PM) *

Small pics. No money shots. No mention of being in a flood. Bidder IDs hidden. LOTS of "I'm sure it's an LE super collectable model" hype. So I hope not because he's a sheeplove.gif stromberg.gif

I'm willing to bet it gets relisted after the buyer gets a real good look at it.
williethewimp
Original seller back for a followup. I agree, I could have done some more homework, but I am not a dedicated car guy and I was interested in moving it to a new owner quickly. Honestly, I was going to sell it to a local kid for $500, so I am glad I took a step back and did a little research. I am satisfied with what I sold it for, and I was as honest as I could be about condition and history. I feel my carma is safe. smile.gif

Anyway, I hope to see it on the CanAm registry some day as surviving car number 262, looking beautiful.

Todd

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 3 2017, 10:48 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 3 2017, 01:55 PM) *

Small pics. No money shots. No mention of being in a flood. Bidder IDs hidden. LOTS of "I'm sure it's an LE super collectable model" hype. So I hope not because he's a sheeplove.gif stromberg.gif

I'm willing to bet it gets relisted after the buyer gets a real good look at it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.