Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: horn question for a 75...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
I see there are afew sources for original horns, and I really don't need an original one, what I would like is a LOUD one, the aftermarket one pooped out on me when I needed it the other day. I have several questions.

1. is the original horn on a 75 under the bumper like in other models? mine is some type of air horn that is under drivers side left of gas tank , and there has been some rewiring done here - so that may need correcting too and I hate wiring, which leads to the next question
2. what wires are for the original horn - I have wires in the front trunk that are not connected- don't know what they are for, they are not for fog lights, those are connected., but thought they might be for the horn possibly,
3. ifnot original, what horn is best? is there one that goes into stock location but is louder, or is the stock one sufficient? ive not had one and not sure ive heard and original one so I don't have anything to go on.

thanks for the help

Phil
GeorgeRud
Look at the Hella Supertones - they rock and will fit in the stock location behind the fog light grills. Those wires up front are probably the horn light, so I'd check if they power up when the horn is activated.

You can get the original horns as well, but I think you'll like the Supertones better. You can even even hear whet they sound like by searching on YouTube.
ejm
On 75/76 the horns are under the car. They are attached to a stud that's near where the headlight bucket drain tube exits. Horn wires are yellow/black and brown IIRC.
mountainroads
As mentioned by previous poster: Hella Supertones are great. I ended up going with a pair of MB horns from a junkyard to replace the worn-out (and therefore anemic) stock horns on my 1970 resto. I was tired of sounding like a clown car. Relatively inexpensive, it takes a discerning eye to realize they aren't stock if anyone even bothers to look, and they sound great without being overkill.

- MR
DRPHIL914
Thanks guys !
DRPHIL914
so I did some searching, found those on ebay and Amazon, half the price on Amazon prime and 2 day free prime shipping, probably will put them on this weekend if they come as promised- $37, including a relay and wiring which I may not need but what the heck, we will give them a try- the old aftermarket air horn has power but is shot so at the worst if the original wiring at stock location is disconnected I can run new wiring - will do some testing first.

mountainroads
Note to admin:

Please check post below. Not to be alarmist, but please check this post and remove if appropriate. Looks suspicious and a possible malware vector to my semi-trained eye. Thanks.

- MR

QUOTE(Lexy Thompson @ Apr 21 2017, 03:38 AM) *

I have an '68 RS with a small block I believe that my horns are original. I recently pulled the horns off for cleaning and re-installed them with no issues.

I suggest you to buy car horn for your car. here is just one sample of a source: Discount Voucher Code 5% ( Ambassador5 ) Use this code to get 5% discount on sale or regular items. http://bit.ly/2obFLAv

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.