Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Solved my garage space issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
AZBanks
I just solved my garage space issue.

I rented a 1800 sq/ft warehouse/industrial space. (Overgrown man-cave)
16 ft ceiling, 10 ft door, fire sprinkler, alarm, 24 hour video indoor/outdoor surveillance.

I get the keys later today.

Now I can really get to work on the 914 rebuild with my son. I'm throwing my hat in for the 2018 buildoff challenge right now.

If you need storage/work space in Phoenix, let me know, I've got extra.
matthepcat
That would be like 4k per month rent in the bay area....lol
AZBanks
That is just one of the many reasons I won't live in the PRoK.

Rent is a LOT cheaper in Phoenix and I have some other guys storing some stuff(trailer, boat, etc) with me so my total cost will be around $0.00 per month.
914Sixer
Sweet!
JOEPROPER
Arizona is sounding better and better every day!
Mark Henry
I have over 1800sq/ft and I have a garage space issue again. dry.gif
Jason 914-6
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 17 2017, 02:25 PM) *

Doesn't matter how big a shed(garage) you have it will always be too small. confused24.gif That's why 4 post hoists for parking storage were made, if you can't go out go up. sunglasses.gif
tygaboy
I postulate the following idiom was first uttered by the caveman who invented the wheel (and immediately wanted a bunch of them!)

Nature abhors a vacuum

I built a 1000 sq. ft. shop. What was I thinking...?
aggiezig
These kinds of posts make me think more and more about opening a Garage Condominium facility. I would guess that what you're paying a month in rent is comparable if not more than what the note would be on an equivalent size space that you would end up owning.

By chance, did you end up looking into: http://www.toybarnstorage.com/

They say they are in the Phoenix area.
KELTY360
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 17 2017, 03:44 PM) *

I postulate the following idiom was first uttered by the caveman who invented the wheel (and immediately wanted a bunch of them!)

Nature abhors a vacuum

I built a 1000 sq. ft. shop. What was I thinking...?

Yup. Been in my signature for years.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Jason 914-6 @ Apr 17 2017, 07:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 17 2017, 02:25 PM) *

Doesn't matter how big a shed(garage) you have it will always be too small. confused24.gif That's why 4 post hoists for parking storage were made, if you can't go out go up. sunglasses.gif

I totally agree, when building my shop I thought it was huge, by the time I finished my shop I said I should have made it bigger.
Then I built a two car garage on the house...should have made it bigger.
Looking at adding another 24' unheated area (800sq/ft) to the back of the shop this year. rolleyes.gif
AZBanks
QUOTE(aggiezig @ Apr 17 2017, 04:57 PM) *

These kinds of posts make me think more and more about opening a Garage Condominium facility. I would guess that what you're paying a month in rent is comparable if not more than what the note would be on an equivalent size space that you would end up owning.

Nothing personal but, I HATE YOU!!!! LOL!!!

Back when I first started looking for space, I checked out "The Toy Barn" but they only had one location and all the units were sold so I started looking at other options. Now, the day I signed the lease on my new space, I find out they opened a second location. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
If you hadn't posted, I would have remained blissfully ignorant, but NOOOO, you had to stick a pin in my happy balloon. chair.gif hissyfit.gif

Oh, well, I am still happy with the space I got and the price is actually less than the same amount of space would cost me at The Toy Barn. I'll see what I want to do in a couple years when my lease is up.
iwanta914-6
That toy barn place reminds me of a scaled down version of the automotorplex up here in MN.
jasons
Where did you lease a unit? I work in the Scottsdale Airpark and that is like toy storage city. Lots of exotic and rare cars parked in hangars with private jets.
AZBanks
QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 18 2017, 07:09 AM) *

Where did you lease a unit? I work in the Scottsdale Airpark and that is like toy storage city. Lots of exotic and rare cars parked in hangars with private jets.

I-17 and Thomas industrial area. I couldn't justify Scottsdale storage prices.
iankarr
QUOTE(aggiezig @ Apr 17 2017, 07:57 PM) *

I'm currently in the process of finding (or maybe building) a storage place to put with a lift, a few big screen TVs, etc. in the metro NY area. More like a club than just a storage facility. PM me if interested!
SKL1
I have a friend with a place at the original Toy Barn in Cave Creek. Nice facility with club room for parties, watching F1 races etc. Nice set up with various sized units.
They are building a new one a few miles from the original one breaking ground any time now.
I thought about getting a unit but my son and I are building a garage/shop on his lot. Luckily he lives near our place in north Scottsdale.
Good solution if you're running out of space at home, or can't build a bigger garage.
JustinMeier
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Apr 17 2017, 12:20 PM) *

I just solved my garage space issue.

I rented a 1800 sq/ft warehouse/industrial space. (Overgrown man-cave)
16 ft ceiling, 10 ft door, fire sprinkler, alarm, 24 hour video indoor/outdoor surveillance.

I get the keys later today.

Now I can really get to work on the 914 rebuild with my son. I'm throwing my hat in for the 2018 buildoff challenge right now.

If you need storage/work space in Phoenix, let me know, I've got extra.

We should probably talk.
JustinMeier

Where are you at? I'm at Raintree and 82nd..
jasons
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Apr 18 2017, 11:41 AM) *

Where are you at? I'm at Raintree and 82nd..

I'm at 78th St and Redfield in that area North of Redfield and South of the runway next to what seems like 10 different crossfit gyms.
TravisNeff
Its time to cough up some pics! piratenanner.gif
turk22
pretty funny, I just sent in a new 'Jackstands' column to Fourteener magazine, about exactly this topic. Seems like more and more folks are doing the community storage and workspace.

Do we have anything like that here in Cincinnati?? I haven't found it if we do.

Turk
JustinMeier
QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 18 2017, 04:04 PM) *

I'm at 78th St and Redfield in that area North of Redfield and South of the runway next to what seems like 10 different crossfit gyms.

Oh no kidding, there's a bunch around us.
papajohn123
1800 square feet? Wow, that's a lot! Congratulations though, I hope all goes well on rebuilding your 914 with your son!
euro911
Congrats. I was jazzed when my brother & I got a 2200 sq. ft. shop. They fill up with stuff quickly.
AZBanks
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Apr 18 2017, 04:38 PM) *

Its time to cough up some pics! piratenanner.gif

I had to take a quick trip out of town. I'll finish cleanup and take some pics this weekend.
vin man
Yes, I need more space as well. Can't find anything affordable in Gilbert.
AZBanks
Exterior shots

euro911
QUOTE(vin man @ Apr 20 2017, 02:44 PM) *
Yes, I need more space as well. Can't find anything affordable in Gilbert.
Only a 1/2 hour drive to PHX ... idea.gif

I miss having a shop, but at $1./sq. ft. & utilities, liability insurance, etc., ... wacko.gif

It would be nice if I could split the cost of another shop here in the LAX South Bay area with a few others, but there's not too many 'car' folks that close to me dry.gif
MoveQik

You need a storage space. I drove by your house several days ago and all the toys were out! poke.gif
My 914
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Apr 17 2017, 03:52 PM) *

That is just one of the many reasons I won't live in the PRoK.

Rent is a LOT cheaper in Phoenix and I have some other guys storing some stuff(trailer, boat, etc) with me so my total cost will be around $0.00 per month.

If there is another unit available there, you should consider leasing that one as well and getting a few more people to store their stuff there as well. You may lower your costs even further.
AZBanks
Interior pics.

It still needs more cleaning.
AZBanks
I'm not sure what kind if business was in the space before but the floor is stained/painted/something?. I want to get that all removed and fix up the walls and paint a bit.
euro911
drooley.gif
mlindner
AZbanks, that looks like great space. Can I ask what the rent is for that size space. Best, Mark
AZBanks
QUOTE(mlindner @ Apr 22 2017, 04:41 AM) *

AZbanks, that looks like great space. Can I ask what the rent is for that size space. Best, Mark

Rent is just the beginning. Then you have insurance, internet, alarm company, water, and power, etc.
This building is not in a prime part of Phoenix. It is in what is generally a bad part of Phoenix but this particular industirial area is actually pretty nice.
Due to the location, I got it pretty cheap. The rent is only $1070 a month. There are two other smaller units available for the same rate per Sq/Ft but they do not have sprinkler systems.

I am hoping to get enough other people storing cars(preferably 914 owners) in with me to cover the rent and even some of the expenses. If I can get my part of the rent to $0.00 I'll be happy even if I have to cover all the remaining expenses.
euro911
If you're going to rent out storage space for other people's cars, you might do well to invest in a 4-post lift (or two) and fully utilize that vertical space idea.gif
AZBanks
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 22 2017, 09:31 PM) *

If you're going to rent out storage space for other people's cars, you might do well to invest in a 4-post lift (or two) and fully utilize that vertical space idea.gif

That is an option I am looking at. I'm checking space requirements, etc to see how many I could fit without feeling cramped.
AZBanks
The walls in the warehouse area have seen their better days. There are too many nail, screw, and staple holes to count and some of the drywall seams are cracked and/or patched. There Is some mold along the bottom of one wall.
I am going to spend some time fixing all of those issues and having all the walls freshly textured so they look like new.

The big question then becomes, how should I paint it. What colors and style?

Some possibilities I have though of are:

Some combination of Gulf Blue and Orange done as stripes or possibly one wall Orange and the rest blue.

German flag colors?

I think Martini would be the easiest to do and the easiest to replace when I get ready to move out. Mainly white walls with the Martini stripes circling the whole space. ??

I am not doing the blue/green hippie 917 colors or the pink pig so don't even go there. They look good on their respective cars but for shop colors, NO! barf.gif

Brumos is another option that would be easy to do but I like Martini better.

There have been a few Jagermeister liveries over the years but I hate the stuff so that is out.

I am open to suggestions. Ideas applied to the pictures I posted earlier will get extra attention.
euro911
I bought some medium gray paint to do the walls from the floor up to about 4 or 5 feet in my RV garage/shop (14 foot ceiling) the rest of the wall and ceiling white. Kind of like I've seen in some other automotive shops.
mlindner
+1Euro911, same......medium gray on bottom, lighter gray or white on top and ceiling. You can always used the Porsche stripes in the middle. Or if you build some storage area, paint that brighter colors. And thanks for sharing the price....have fun. Best, Mark
My 914
Is the floor concrete? If so, would you paint it? A fresh coat would clean it up nicely.
AZBanks
QUOTE(My 914 @ Apr 30 2017, 05:05 AM) *

Is the floor concrete? If so, would you paint it? A fresh coat would clean it up nicely.

It is concrete and I may paint it but first I need to get all the crap that is on it off. That red stuff is built up and several layers thick. I'm not even sure what it is. I plan to rent one of those industrial buffer/polishers with some abrasive wheels and sand that crap off and go from there. I may have it painted after that or just leave it Depending on how it looks after the abrasive wheel.

Based on the other suggestions, I may do the grey and white but with Martini stripes to separate them and add some visual excitement. Plain grey with white is too boring for a proper Porsche Man cave/workshop. aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
AZBanks
I just posted an ad on Craigslist offering up spaces for rent. I haven't really been looking for other people to rent space to so far but spending over $1000 a month for unused space is cutting into my parts budget.

Let me know if you think I should change up the wording of the ad.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/prk/6243341155.html
My 914
I would shorten it up a bit to make it easier to read. I would eliminate paragraphs 3,6 and 7. Your target audience doesn't need the extra information.
Krieger
What if someone has a cool boat or a trailer and willing to pay more? Maybe an option for the right situation. Was there a price?
michael7810
For me I would want price and a picture. Also agree with My914's comments.
KELTY360
What are your insurance responsibilities when offering spaces for rent? I would think that could be costly.
AZBanks
Resurrecting this thread.

To follow up on the original shop space idea. It was a major bust.

It was too far from my house to use effectively. With three boys in jr high and high school my time was very limited so I only made it to the shop once or twice a month.

I never got enough interest from other people to make it cost effective.
Consequently, I was spending all of my car parts/fix budget on rent and utilities.

The final result was 2 years, $24K+ out of pocket and zero progress on the 914 project.

"So why bring up a dead thread just to rehash a significant personal planning/finance failure", I hear you ask. smile.gif

Because I have a bigger and better plan in the works. I hope to be able to post details later this week. If my plan works out, I'm having a party at my house and you are all invited.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.