Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cylinder head temp gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveO90s4
Hi all,

Remember way way back in the good ole days about the turn of the century when you could stick a circular thermocouple connection under the spark plug and read cylinder head temp. on a VDO analogue gauge?

Well, now we are in the good new modern days I can't find such an animal for love nor money (my WTB add is feeling very unloved - lots of views but no offers).

So what do I do to go back to the future and do what I used to be able to do in my youth with my VW's re cylinder head temp?

Sage or other advice welcome :=)

Dave
kgruen2
QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Apr 26 2017, 12:33 AM) *

Hi all,

Remember way way back in the good ole days about the turn of the century when you could stick a circular thermocouple connection under the spark plug and read cylinder head temp. on a VDO analogue gauge?

Well, now we are in the good new modern days I can't find such an animal for love nor money (my WTB add is feeling very unloved - lots of views but no offers).

So what do I do to go back to the future and do what I used to be able to do in my youth with my VW's re cylinder head temp?

Dave

You can get a digital gauge using the same style ring sensor to put under the #3 spark plug. I did that recently with my rebuilt engine for my 914. What an eye opener, watching the CHT do it's thing.

P.S. I was advised by the engine builder to switch to digital gauges as the VDO analog gauges were slow to react and woefully inaccurate.
Karl
VaccaRabite
The post Falcor mentions has all the good data.
I ran a Dakota Digital CHT for a long time. It worked great.

Zach
barefoot
QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Apr 26 2017, 03:33 AM) *

Hi all,

Dave

I got my thermocouples here, look very well made:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172302303136?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.