Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magnetic Phone Mount Ash Tray
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Evan0
I wanted to share my design for a 3D printed ash tray phone holder. The other designs I've seen tend to use a gripping type mount. I use a magnetic mount in my daily driver and thought that my 914 should have the same convenience.

Instead of trying to solve the problem of the mount, this ash tray is more of a mount for a mount. It emulates the fitting pattern found on many mounts designed for air vents. It should work with any mount you find that claims to work on air vents.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here's a picture of the finished version compared with the unfinished version.

IPB Image

IPB Image

The model and instructions can be found on Thingiverse Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

*EDIT*
Raw unpainted 3d printed ones will be $25 shipped anywhere in the US, and painted ones will be $65 shipped anywhere in the US. Payment methods accepted are Paypal, Venmo, and Square Cash. Sorry, I can't take anything else. The actual mount isn't included, You can get any variety of round air vent mounts off Amazon. For example, Mount 1 Mount 2

Interested List

Jeff Bowlsby- 1x Raw - Shipped
C-Ya MK - 1x Raw - Shipped
r_towle?
abes914?
wes - 1x Raw - Ready to Ship
BENBRO02 - 1x Raw - Shipped
clapeza - 1x Raw - Shipped
theer - 2x Raw - Shipped
RickS - 1x Raw - Ready to Ship
Jett - 1x Finished - Shipped
ThunderbirdDrive - 1x Raw - Shipped
Hoppie944s2 - 1x Raw - Ready to Ship
Flmont = 1x Finished - Shipped
RAX 914 = 1x Raw - Shipped
Mowog4 - 1x Finished - Shipped
rktmn247 - 1x Raw - Shipped
Harpo - 1x Raw - Shipped
Camaro Mike - 1x Raw - Shipped
Calvinator2016 - 1x Raw - Shipped
JHop - 1x Raw - Shipped
Philip W. - 1x Finished - Shipped
proto31 - 1x Raw - Shipped
malcolm2 - 1x Raw - Shipped
Morrie - 1x Raw - Shipped
porsche913b_sp - 1x Raw - Shipped
scott_in_nh - 1x Raw - Shipped
ConeDodger - 1x Finished - Shipped
larryM
cool!
beerchug.gif
was thinking about how to do that just a few days ago

see my CHEAP_ EASY alternative post on page 3 of this thread

(look at all 4 pictures before you attack)
McMark
Nice surface finish. Sanded and painted? Looks great.
Evan0
QUOTE(McMark @ May 1 2017, 06:39 AM) *

Nice surface finish. Sanded and painted? Looks great.

Lots of primer, sanding, and paint.
Andyrew
Big fan of magnetic mounts for phones. Have one in my daily and love it.

Great looking solution!
JeffBowlsby
How much and where do I send payment for you to make me one?

drooley.gif
barefoot
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 1 2017, 01:49 PM) *

How much and where do I send payment for you to make me one?

drooley.gif

You may get many requests for one of these, let us know
Barefoot
C-Ya MK
I'm interested
r_towle
me too!

I have a general question. I grew up with a NO magnets near computers.
Its how we erased hard drives as the final step.

So, what is different here? Why does this not wack out the phone, screen, gps etc?
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 1 2017, 09:14 PM) *

me too!

So, what is different here? Why does this not wack out the phone, screen, gps etc?

I looked that up a little while ago and the general consensus is the magnet won't hurt the phone. Surprised me.
Andyrew
Been using mine for 2.5 years. No issues with the phone.
abes914
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 1 2017, 06:14 PM) *

me too!

I think it's because smart phones uses Newer hard drive technology--solid state rather than the old hard drive technology with mechanical arm and magnetic charge.

I am also interested in getting one.
Evan0
Wow, I didn't expect this much interest in this. Raw unpainted 3d printed ones will be $25 shipped anywhere in the US, and painted ones will be $65 shipped anywhere in the US. It takes about 12 hours to print each one, and even longer to post process to the surface finish in my photos. So it may take a few days for them to be ready. Let me know if you're still interested.
wes
$25 bucks, I'm in!
BENBRO02
For $25 I'd like one too.
JeffBowlsby
I'm in for a finished one. Just advise when and where to send $.

Thx!
Andyrew
To be clear, does the prices include the Pictek magnet?

Just curious, my dash design cant use this.
Evan0
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 2 2017, 12:53 PM) *

To be clear, does the prices include the Pictek magnet?

Just curious, my dash design cant use this.

Sorry, I should have made it clear that its just the ash tray. You can get any variety of round air vent mounts off Amazon.
clapeza
I'm interested in a $25 raw, unfinished one.

Great work!
theer
I'll take two - unfinished, please.

Let me know where to send $
RickS
Very nice work. I would take an unfinished one. Where to send $?
Jett
I'll take one finished please. These are amazing!
r_towle
could you post a picture of what is included?

Rich
ThunderbirdDrive
I'm interested in a finished. Looks great!
Evan0
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 3 2017, 12:05 PM) *

could you post a picture of what is included?

Rich

Here's a picture of the finished version compared with the unfinished version. Doesn't come with the mount, you can pick one of the many round air vent mounts of your choice.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Hoppie944s2
ill take an unfinished one
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 2 2017, 12:37 PM) *

I'm in for a finished one. Just advise when and where to send $.

Thx!

On second thought, I will order an unfinished version.

drooley.gif
ThunderbirdDrive
Wow after seeing those pics I'll switch to unfinished please. Wow, great work there.
Rand
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 1 2017, 05:14 PM) *

I grew up with a NO magnets near computers. Its how we erased hard drives as the final step.

Magnetic storage media was the only thing vulnerable. (Well, and old tube monitors, lol. We had fun with magnets around those, but also used them to degauss and fix them.)

Hard drives and tape were magnetic media, and thus susceptible to magnetic damage. Solid state isn't. Thankfully, magnetic platters, tapes, etc., are obsolete and waning. You also don't have to worry about running modern electronics through xray and the like when you fly.
flmont
QUOTE(Evan0 @ Apr 30 2017, 06:49 PM) *

I wanted to share my design for a 3D printed ash tray phone holder. The other designs I've seen tend to use a gripping type mount. I use a magnetic mount in my daily driver and thought that my 914 should have the same convenience.

Instead of trying to solve the problem of the mount, this ash tray is more of a mount for a mount. It emulates the fitting pattern found on many mounts designed for air vents. It should work with any mount you find that claims to work on air vents.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The model and instructions can be found on Thingiverse Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

*EDIT*
Raw unpainted 3d printed ones will be $25 shipped anywhere in the US, and painted ones will be $65 shipped anywhere in the US. The actual mount isn't included, You can get any variety of round air vent mounts off Amazon. For example, Mount 1 Mount 2

Interested List

Jeff Bowlsby- 1x Raw - In Production
C-Ya MK - 1x Raw - In Production
r_towle?
abes914?
wes - 1x Raw - In Production
BENBRO02 - 1x Raw - In Production
clapeza - 1x Raw
theer - 2x Raw
RickS - 1x Raw
Jett - 1x Finished
ThunderbirdDrive - 1x Raw
Hoppie944s2 - 1x Raw
Flmont =1 raw

RAX914
I'd like 1 unfinished one, please.
flmont
QUOTE(flmont @ May 5 2017, 08:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Evan0 @ Apr 30 2017, 06:49 PM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

*EDIT*
Raw unpainted 3d printed ones will be $25 shipped anywhere in the US, and painted ones will be $65 shipped anywhere in the US. The actual mount isn't included, You can get any variety of round air vent mounts off Amazon. For example, Mount 1 Mount 2

Interested List

Jeff Bowlsby- 1x Raw - In Production
C-Ya MK - 1x Raw - In Production
r_towle?
abes914?
wes - 1x Raw - In Production
BENBRO02 - 1x Raw - In Production
clapeza - 1x Raw
theer - 2x Raw
RickS - 1x Raw
Jett - 1x Finished
ThunderbirdDrive - 1x Raw
Hoppie944s2 - 1x Raw
Flmont =1 finished

Evan0
The first batch has shipped. Thank you to everyone.
RAX914
I received my ash tray mount today. It's light in weight, but feels very solid and fits into the ash tray opening perfectly. Thanks Evan!
clapeza
Got mine! Fits very well, nice and snug. Great job on the printing.

Any recommendations on sanding and painting? How'd you get the front face so even and smooth? Any filler, or did you just paint it and sand it down until it was smooth?
Evan0
QUOTE(clapeza @ May 13 2017, 08:11 PM) *

Got mine! Fits very well, nice and snug. Great job on the printing.

Any recommendations on sanding and painting? How'd you get the front face so even and smooth? Any filler, or did you just paint it and sand it down until it was smooth?

I sanded it down with 240 grit, 320 grit and finally 400 grit. Then it was primed with Rust-Oleum Black Sandable Primer. More sanding with 400 grit sandpaper until all surface defects have been removed. Another layer of primer, then a final sand at 600 grit. Then a coat of SEM Trim Black paint is applied. Sand away any defects with 600 grit. Apply a final coat of the SEM paint. It's a long process, the primer needs at least 24 hours to cure between sandings, and the paint need 48. The actual amount of work is only a couple hours, but lots of waiting for it to dry and cure.
rktmn247
I would like one, unfinished, if these are still available?
Harpo
I would like one as well. if they are still available.
Camaro Mike
I would like an unfished one as well if you're still making these. Thanks.
Evan0
QUOTE(rktmn247 @ May 14 2017, 12:39 PM) *

Yeah, still making them. The unfinished ones have a pretty quick turn around, but finished ones take a while. I'll PM each of you individually when yours is ready to ship. Thanks.
JeffBowlsby
Fantastic fit and manufacture. This has to be in contention for 914 product of the year...Thanks Evan!

914_7T3
PM Sent for an unfinished mount.

The Kenu brand mount is small and will provide a snug fit both around the phone and into the vent or ash tray mount in this case. It will also swivel so the phone can orient in either direction. This is another alternative to the magnet style as shown earlier in the thread.

Click to view attachment
JHop
Count me in for an unfinished one! PM me when you get a chance with payment details via PayPal.

Thanks,

John
DRPHIL914
I'd like a finished version please PM with detail for payment -

Dr. Phil

and a bit more info on brands and location to purchase the required magnetic mounts, I have not shopped these and am not familiar with who carries the one you have pictured at beginning of the thread,
theer
Mine came yesterday. Looks great. Highly recommend.
Evan0
QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 16 2017, 05:12 AM) *

I'd like a finished version please PM with detail for payment -

Dr. Phil

and a bit more info on brands and location to purchase the required magnetic mounts, I have not shopped these and am not familiar with who carries the one you have pictured at beginning of the thread,

There is a week+ lead time on the finished version, I'll PM you when its ready to ship. As for where to get the mounts. Here are a few examples from Amazon. Mount 1 Mount 2 And a much more expensive for no reason version from Best Buy. Mount 3 They are pretty common, most places that have phone accessories will have one version or another.
proto31
I'll take an unfinished one smile.gif

I'll send you a pm

Dan
malcolm2
QUOTE(Evan0 @ May 14 2017, 09:40 PM) *

Yeah, still making them. The unfinished ones have a pretty quick turn around, but finished ones take a while. I'll PM each of you individually when yours is ready to ship. Thanks.

So you have shipped a batch.... are you taking orders for batch 2? Add an unfinished one for me.

Clark

Just had a thought....maybe V2?

could you hollow out the back (like an ashtray)? Maybe not as big as an ashtray, but great place to stick my change.
Evan0
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 16 2017, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Evan0 @ May 14 2017, 09:40 PM) *

So you have shipped a batch.... are you taking orders for batch 2? Add an unfinished one for me.

Clark

Just had a thought....maybe V2?

could you hollow out the back (like an ashtray)? Maybe not as big as an ashtray, but great place to stick my change.

It's not really made in batches, they are produced on order. But, I ship them out in batches. I've added you to the list. I'll look into adding some space behind so it can used as a tray. Thanks for the input.
malcolm2
thanks, let me know when and how to pay.

Clark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.